does anyone on here carry a full size normally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Not to derail the original thead....but

Why do people insist on open bottom holsters, half coverage holsters, yaqui holster...then complain about things like weight of the gun?
    Also why is IWB carry so frigging popular...I could never got comfortable with any iwb holster...even $200 alessi's

Just wondering
    God bless
    - Shred

I have carried an XD9sc for 8 hours or more in a Crossbreed style IWB with almost zero discomfort. It does require looser pants, and as with all holsters, a great belt.

But yes, for the most part, OWB is more comfortable for obvious reasons.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I carry 2 M &P's when I carry, which is whenever it is legal to do so.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not to derail the original thead....but

Why do people insist on open bottom holsters, half coverage holsters, yaqui holster...then complain about things like weight of the gun?
    Also why is IWB carry so frigging popular...I could never got comfortable with any iwb holster...even $200 alessi's

Just wondering
    God bless
    - Shred

My open bottom holsters are the ones that support different sized 1911s. I have a full coverage Kramer Scabbard for the full size railed Sig and it still tears car seats up. Bucket seats and full sized guns just don't get along.

I'm with you on the IWB carry. I've bought good holsters and rarely use them because they are just plain uncomfortable for me. Must be a body shape thing.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just picked up a G17 that has the butt cut down to a G19 size. It seems to be the perfect combo for me. Carry in a IWB Blade-Tech at about 4 o'clock. Probably going to go back to a Summer Special when I can as it was the most comfortable holster ever for me. Can't get used to the new holsters that use all the leather to support a Kydex holster. They sweat too much for me. YMMV

Bob

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Been carrying the Canik in the Serpa-like holster for a few days now, OWB. The weight difference isn't noticeable, but the holster definitely makes it stick out farther than my Hooch Holster for my XD. I will be interested to see how it feels once my new holster comes in. I am trying out a pretty cool, and new to me, design from YetiTec. It looks promising. It's Kydex, but quick on and off the belt. It loks like it woudl be great on a smaller gun, I am curious as to how it works with my full size Canik

tumblr_nmtgucxlqU1uojh5zo1_1280.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Full size 1911 with 2 spare mags in a bianchi thumb break or safariland kydex holster. In the rare occasion where itneeds to be somewhat hidden it goes in an iwb i bought from one of the leather shops in nashville. I am considering a smaller gun to use in an ankle rig at work.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My EDC is a Glock 36 in .45 acp...on occasion, however, I've toted a 4" GP100 or even an Alaskan in .454 Casull (when on camping / hiking trips) so as not to bring too many guns along. I tend to bring only what my primary 'need' is and then use it for everything instead of bringing multiple guns.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    When I'm working, I carry a full sized 1911. Contact Concealment OWB holster, Comp-Tac dual mag carrier, and covered by a 5.11 vest. No problems.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I agree. I used to carry an LCP. I've gone from that to a CZ 75 BD Compact (great pistol), to currently a PPQ. The PPQ is the biggest of those, but is more of a G19 size, not quite full size. If I go up again it will probably be a 226 Tacops, lol.
    I'm also carrying a PPQ M1.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Been carrying the Canik in the Serpa-like holster for a few days now, OWB. The weight difference isn't noticeable, but the holster definitely makes it stick out farther than my Hooch Holster for my XD. I will be interested to see how it feels once my new holster comes in. I am trying out a pretty cool, and new to me, design from YetiTec. It looks promising. It's Kydex, but quick on and off the belt. It loks like it woudl be great on a smaller gun, I am curious as to how it works with my full size Canik

tumblr_nmtgucxlqU1uojh5zo1_1280.jpg

UPDATE:

I recently r'cvd my Yetitac QuickClaw holster, and I am pretty impressed. It is a very well made holster, and the Speed Clips are a BRILLIANT feature. If you want a "grab and go" OWB holster, that feels pretty secure, you can't go wrong. My only small complaint is that I think the holster is a bit more suited for smaller guns. As top heavy as the TP9 is, it seems to lean out from the body a bit more than I would like. I have a good belt, but I thought a stiffer one might help so I ordered a Bio Belt. It DID make a difference. It still leans out a bit, but not near as much as it did with the leather belt.
    I also wish I had gone with the 1.5inch clips instead of the 1.75. Maybe that would have made more of a difference as well. Oh well.
    All in all though, i am satisfied with my purchase. I might have to buy one for my XD9sc and see if a less top heavy gun is better suited for this holster.
    Sort version? For a $60 grab n go holster, it is a good product, but may be more suited for a smaller handgun.

Top Bottom