• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    It is perfectly legal to make your own guns, as long as you DO NOT INTEND TO SELL THEM. If you intend to sell them, you need a manufacturer's license. You can legally make guns for your own use as long as they don't break any already existing legislation such as barrel length, whether they are semi-auto or full auto, etc.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Are you guys sure it's legal? I thought you had to have a license or a tax stamp for AOW to make your own firearms regardless of whether or not you sell or keep them.... :dunno:

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    It is perfectly legal to make your own guns, as long as you DO NOT INTEND TO SELL THEM. If you intend to sell them, you need a manufacturer's license. You can legally make guns for your own use as long as they don't break any already existing legislation such as barrel length, whether they are semi-auto or full auto, etc.

100% correct!!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    So, uhhhh... How big can these homemade guns be? I have an idea for a little project...

20060509_2099_NSengupta_AberdeenProvingGroundss.jpg

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    From ATF FAQ

(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?
    With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If it is a firearm you can buy then it is one you can make. If you cannot buy it, don't build one.

I.E. You can make a pistol, rifle, shotgun. You cannot make an AOW, DD, SBR, SBS, Machine Gun, etc.

It really is simple.

Now, back to looking at cheak AK kits that I do not have the money to buy.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Here is the site you need to read:
    Home Gunsmith Forums

And, a slight correction. You CAN build your own suppressors, AOWs, SBSs and SBRs IF you can legally own one AND you file a form 1 and pay your tax first.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Here is the site you need to read:
    Home Gunsmith Forums

And, a slight correction. You CAN build your own suppressors, AOWs, SBSs and SBRs IF you can legally own one AND you file a form 1 and pay your tax first.

My wording was bad, I meant that you cannot just go and make something that you cannot just go and buy and take home today, etc. I was trying to be simple, but I got unclear.

Shay corrects my wording to be more clear. Sorry to be unclear

Top Bottom