Does anyone know of a gun "friendly" work place?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My company is run by a bunch of people that come from California and have a strict 'No Weapons' policy that states you cannot possess a weapon on company property, , at a company function or when doing company business anywhere else. If you bring a cake in and it has a knife to use to cut it, you could be fired. Technically, I am in violation of company policy just by working from home with my guns in a safe in the same house. It's so absurd and vague as to be pretty much unenforcable.

I think if I open carried at work, I'd be visited by the IPD Swat team. So, I do what I think I need to do to preserve my job and my safety.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If they have strict NO CARRY policies, they definitly can effect your life very quickly. If you were to get fired due to violation of these policies, how will you continue to support yourself and possibly family?

Personally, it's not worth it to me my job is far too important. Also, the risk of something happening COULD happen; but it has a very low probability.

Firing him won't cost his life. Inability to defend himself could. I believe that is his point.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i doubt you are going to find a large company the comes out and states 'you may carry'
    at best you are going to get 'don't ask'..
    or 'no illegal weapons'...

there are companies that do allow, and encourage workers to CC, but they are not going to say that publicly because it kind of defeats the CC..

dvcr8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    There are at least 3 people that carry at work, including the owner. In fact, we often have "show and tell" when someone picks up something new.

joshrio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are a few liquor stores in the Fort Wayne area that allow employees to carry provided they have a LTCH. I was pretty surprised, but glad to hear it. I spent 5+ years behind the counter of a convenience store with 4 of them as a store manager where I handled alot of cash and made trips to the bank. The company was not at all gun friendly. Thank goodness for pocket pistols!!:D Hey, I can always find a new job, but I can't get another chance at life. I really applaud the companies that allow there employees to exercise their right to bear arms especially at a job that can be dangerous.

Ya I think it's become almost common knowledge that Wildwood Liquors has a loaded 12 ga under the counter....or is it a myth? Either way, I've never heard of that place getting robbed.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm a self employed general contractor. I carry EVERYDAY. Most of my customers are return or repeat customers. Most will engage me in weapons discussions, because they know I carry.

I have had customers ask me for help in locating parts, mags, manuals, etc... or just to ask my opinion on a certain firearm.

I was even PAID for "gun-play" at work one time about two years ago. :rockwoot:I have done a lot of work for a local trucking company.

Two years ago, their warehouse roof partially collapsed under the weight of a snow drift that formed on one end of the building.

The general manager (a personal friend) was worried that the snow, once melted, would pool at the low spot and concentrate enough weight(water) in one area as to pull down the remaining section of roof.

He called me in and asked if I would bring my pistol? I went to the warehouse to find a 800 square foot area of the roof sagging about 6 FEET!

The manager asked if I would use my pistol to "ventilate" the roof panels (steel building) so as to allow the water to drain as it melted.

I was carrying a .357magnum at the time, and the warehouse sits inside the city limits, and less than 5o yards from an apartment complex.

I told him I would NOT feel safe about discharging a .357mag in the city limits, and DEFINITELY not that close to a dwelling.:n00b:

I went back to my house, and retrieved my Mossberg 12ga. pump (model 500), and a box of 00 Buck.

Back to the warehouse. I spent about 5 minutes, and 8-10 rounds of buck, to poke a BUNCH of holes in the roof. Water began to drain almost immediately.;)

Disaster averted!:)

The manager DID have a puzzled look on his face when I handed him a bill for a box of 00 Buck! He made the mention that he did NOT know how he was going to justify the purchase of ammunition to corporate!:laugh:

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    There are 5 guys that carry at my work everyday, most know that we do. It has never been an issue.
    My son works for a guy who wants everyone to at least have a LTC because he keeps a Makorov in all the company trucks.
    Thery are out there you just have to look around for them.

257robertsimp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    My company has a no firearm policy, If challenged, the result would certainly be termination, but if pushed far enough, like the supreme court, it would be sided in favor of the gun owner, as it is a constitutional right.

Sir Hailstone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's in the employee handbook, but the CEO, one VP, myself, and another employee all carry. Most of us leave them in our vehicles but if we have to work after hours we bring them into the building. Dayjob is not in the best of Indy neighborhoods.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Where I work it is almost required to carry. I'm a block north of the Childrens Museum. Over half the people that work there carry everyday. I've even had a couple of my fullauto toys in there. In fact I was just showing the owner my everyday pistol and where I store it in case it would ever need to be used and I was not at that desk at the time.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    My company has a no firearm policy, If challenged, the result would certainly be termination, but if pushed far enough, like the supreme court, it would be sided in favor of the gun owner, as it is a constitutional right.

Not necessarily.

The Constitution only protects you from actions of the government. By agreeing to work for your company you agree to abide by the rules. Your company can't take away your liberty. If you don't like the rules you can quit. The SCOTUS isn't going to rule otherwise.

But...

I think there needs to be a law that prevents the company from not allowing you to store your gun safely locked in your vehicle on company property. There are a few states that have this law. I think it's a good one.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I work for the municipal Govt. in my hometown. Nothing in the employee handbook and just yesterday my boss was in my office talking about CC at the workplace. The only office he found that didn't allow it was the police/fire dispatchers office unless they get certified by the trainer. He bought my P89 and is currently waiting for his LLTCH to arrive.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mine WP is NOT!

I can tell you the place I work for is not. While they have never tried to do searches or anything. I had to watch a Workplace Violence Prevention Video as part of my initial training. And after watching it I felt like it made any one who had an interest in firearms as a potential threat, and or criminal! At least that's what I felt like. Because a statement simalar to that was actually the video!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom