• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

In this semesters business class I need to present a business proposal for starting a new business here in Indiana.

My idea is to get into ammunition manufacturing. Do some standard calibers that will sell easily, but I also want to look into doing extremely uncommon calibers that could be marketed to specialized shooters, such as 8x50R to owners of WWI AustroHungarian rifles.

I am beginning to put together a real proposal for the class and will enter a competition to receive a substantial grant for a startup business.

Right now I have an idea and a target market, but I am lacking in knowledge about manufacturing. So I would like to communicate with those far more knowledgable than myself on this subject.

At worst you could help me get an "A" in a business class. At best I could start a new ammunition company that would make certain Hoosiers never run out of the good stuff.

Please let me know if you have any experience in this field as I could really use the help.

Thanks,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So if I understand correctly, you are asking about the process of making them?

Dparks,

Correct. I am going to make a business proposal to manufacture ammunition from the ground up. If I do good enough and win the grant you may see a new product on the market.

One thing to consider is that you are required to have an FFL license to manufacture ammo unless for personal use. This is a federal requirement.

Boogieman,

Thank you for reminding me. I have checked the BATFE website and discovered it will either be $1,000 per year or $1,010 per year, depending upon the licensing is interpreted.

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That will look cheap compared to the insurance.
    Other question is could you find a reliable/constant source of components.

Jbell_64,

I will have to look at the insurance cost.

I have a lead to make my own brass cases. My goal long term would be to make my own primers. The primers seem (under current thought) to be the weak link that I want to overcome.

With insurance and component costs this may not be a viable business model. However I will not know unitl I have real numbers to analyze and investigate.

Regards,

Doug

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The insurance cost alone will take your breath away. Just another example of how badly we need tort and liability reform to enable small businesses to succeed.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I looked really heavy into it. I could not figure a whay to make a business model that worked. Between licensing, insurance, components, and zoning, it kept looking like a good way to spend 50K plus to make about $2.00 per hour. I know that profire left the business when the insurance went crazy. John Hall left the shotgun ammo business also.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I hate to rain on your party here...but with the statements you have made i dont think this is for you. If you have not already looked into prices of insurance and everything else then you dont know enough about it to even start. On top of that the business you are talking about DOES NOT have alot of people lining up to have it done. Of all the shooters out there i would say that MAYBE 1/2% shoot a rare ammunition rifle. And of those i would almost bet that 50-75% of them reload their own. Then take into account that they dont shoot those rifles but maybe 100 rounds a year. Add to that that they probly already have a supplier of some kind and the few you might actually get to switch to a inexperienced (in the professional ammunition making world) person with untested loads. Normally im one of the guys who says "go for it" but in this case i would just walk on and find something else

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Not to long ago, Gaston Glock didnt know much about guns ^^^^ Maybe someone with a fresh perspective is needed-good luck with your venture

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Don't let the nay-sayers get you down before you've really taken a close look at this. I don't know much about ammo manufacturing specifically, but I do know a little about manufacturing in general--and especially manufacturing engineering. Feel free to pm me if there's something you think I can help you with.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Profire opened up a store off of Kentucky ave I was just in there Wednesday.

Profire is still in business, but he is not loading and selling ammunition, commercially, any longer. His insurance cost basically tripled, making it financially impossible to make a profit at it. He's still one of the most knowledgeable reloaders I personally know, but not turning out the rounds he used to.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton

I am beginning to put together a real proposal for the class and will enter a competition to receive a substantial grant for a startup business.

So I would like to communicate with those far more knowledgable than myself on this subject.

You are going to play hell to get these people on the phone for the next few weeks - I'd wait until the first of February.

Businesses that will likely talk to you, I can dig for contact names on business cards this evening:

Quality Cartridge - brass
    Captech International - Jamison Brass - brass manufacturing/ammunition assembly
    Silver State Armory - brass manufacturing/ammunition assembly
    PMX Industries, Cedar Rapids, IA facility - brass cups
    Olin Brass - brass cups

Call this auction house, ask for a complete sale bill - and if you can still get to the closing bids, or if they will provide them - you'll have some idea of used equipment cost.

A-Square Ammunition Auction - Hoff Online Auctions | Auction HQ

If you dig around enough you may be able to locate the auction information from Bell, Dakota and the Jamison (alleged as I never saw the bill) auctions as well.

Insurance:

Gun Insurance Home, Welcome

While you have Jamision on the phone, I'd ask (there is probably someone on here who knows) if they would discuss the government supply process.

This can get as big as you want it, want to propose producing your own projectiles as well?

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    Sounds like if your company would manufacture ready to load brass and projectiles to start with, then if things go well get into primers. I would guess the loading presses have the most liability.

Top Bottom