Does a gay person have the right to be President?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Does a gay person have the right to be President?

If a gay person can be voted into the office of President of the United States, they he/she becomes Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Military.

Certainly if you can be the leader of the U.S. Military, you can enlist in the U.S. Military.

I think logically you cannot support the former without supporting the latter.

Discuss.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Why is this even a question?! Some folks need to bolt a steel plate to their butt if they are that frightened about the "gay invasion" that they paint as the downfall of the US. Honestly? Please...

Jbombelli: +1! Anyone can run, it's a matter of if they get voted in.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    If someone completely unqualified for the position can be president then why can't a gay person?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Nobody has the right to be President. We all have the right to TRY to be President. There is a difference.

^^^
    This.

And I don't care if the President is gay. I do not, however, agree with the logic that being President automatically confers upon you the ability to enlist in the armed forces. There are limitations like age, fitness and other disqualifiers that preclude enlistment in the Army (and other branches), so although I see what the OP is trying to do, I think he needs another argument.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    They have a right to be allowed to run. Sadly, even the most highly qualified candidate (who happened to be gay) would never get that far. Far too many people have very negative views of homosexuality and could not fathom the though of "one of those" running our country. Same goes for Atheists. If you do not fall neatly into one of the "popular" religious groups, you WILL NOT get any backing by the parties. It was not that long ago that a Catholic President was seen as a ground breaking :n00b:. We really have not come very far since then. America is not open minded enough yet to accept a candidate without regard to their sexual preference or religious beliefs.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If a gay person were to gather enough initial steam they would easily walk into the white house. The American people have already shown that sending a signal of how far we've come as a society completely outweighs the candidate's qualifications (or complete lack thereof) for the job.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    well when you are in the military you dont have any rights. you are govt. property and thats the way it should be. if you dont like it stfu and dont join or gtf out.

that being said, i am a firm believer that gays should have the same rights as everyone else. why do we judge people on what they like to do in the bedroom? I am straight and met some women around the world who have some pretty effed up fetishes, so to each their own and whatever floats your boat.

who gives a rats ass? so because I believe in gay rights does not mean I support them running down the street with rainbow clothes on and assless chaps. just the same as I dont wanna see nasty hookers on washington street in indy.
    gay is a sexual prefference NOT a race...... PERIOD.
    so the gay community shouldnt be prohibited from getting married etc, in my opinion, but they also shouldnt be throwing their fagness in everyones faces. chill the rainbow crap out and I will continue to support you getting EQUAL rights. (not more rights, like some .... ahem .... races get because they are louder than others).

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If a gay person were to gather enough initial steam they would easily walk into the white house. The American people have already shown that sending a signal of how far we've come as a society completely outweighs the candidate's qualifications (or complete lack thereof) for the job.

yeah in the most recent case I think people thought they were saying **** you to the system and government but they realy just ****ed themselves. I would take a gay president anyday over the current impostor and idiot.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    There is no such thing as "gay rights." There is nothing to prevent a gay person from running for president. In answer to the OP, the "commander in chief" is constitutionally a civilian position. The qualifications for military personnel do not apply to civilian jobs.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    its not like if a gay person got elected president it would be the first time someone was smoking pipe in the oval office.

there's even speculation and some good evidence that a couple former presidents WERE gay.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    yeah in the most recent case I think people thought they were saying **** you to the system and government but they realy just ****ed themselves. I would take a gay president anyday over the current impostor and idiot.

Big +1 here! Example: Harvey Milk was a more than adequate candidate for the position he pursued. He was in the Navy, was an actuary (numbers) and studied politics, even working on Goldwater's candidacy. He knew the game and did well fighting for gays to have EQUAL rights. But he was killed due to his sexuality and the anger of a former city supervisor.

I would take 1000 Harvey Milks over any candidate because they have a reason to be pursuing office and have the heart to serve, not like the lying, aristocratic filth in office now.

I will agree with others: There is no such thing as "gay rights", there is equal rights. Gays are a mocked, second citizen situation that is scared to come out of the closet for fear of Johnny Ray Huckle**** shooting them out of some fool idealistic crusade for genetic superiority or similar concept ingrained upon them by their racist/antisocial forefathers who could barely understand the concept they crusaded for or against. :twocents:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    its not like if a gay person got elected president it would be the first time someone was smoking pipe in the oval office.

there's even speculation and some good evidence that a couple former presidents WERE gay.
    This actually caused me to notice something that i find interesting but not surprising. Between this thread and the DADT, all Ive seen is mention of men. Nobody has said a word about lesbians, and its obvious cause a majority of men think two girls going at it is hot (I know I do).

Top Bottom