• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Why don't you think soldiers should be allowed to carry in the barracks? I assume you agree with that provision, as you're ready to rep the plan. Given your previous comments, it would seem the options are low opinion of soldiers who live in barracks or anti-second amendment.

Or maybe you made a strong case and convinced more than just me. :)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Why don't you think soldiers should be allowed to carry in the barracks? I assume you agree with that provision, as you're ready to rep the plan. Given your previous comments, it would seem the options are low opinion of soldiers who live in barracks or anti-second amendment.

Excuse me, but now I am the one here being the "purist?"
    Maybe you should have asked me for more details on what I thought would be a feasible, acceptable solution to active duty being allowed to carry (out of uniform) as a second line of defense against terrorist attacks a la Fort Hood before you tried your lame gotcha moment.
    I haven't seen anything in your posts indicating that you would even entertain a compromise on the matter, while Woobie has what looks acceptable.
    What have you contributed as a proposal?
    Oh yeah: Troops are uniquely stupid compared to the general populace such that no amount of qualification and training and conditions being placed on being allowed to carry will satisfy you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Or maybe you made a strong case and convinced more than just me. :)

Nah. You already knew what the barracks is like.

I'm just poking the guy who throws in the "I thought this was a pro-gun forum" crap and pretends we're anti-soldier for even discussing it.

That awkward moment when you fail your own purity test...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Nah. You already knew what the barracks is like.

I'm just poking the guy who throws in the "I thought this was a pro-gun forum" crap and pretends we're anti-soldier for even discussing it.

That awkward moment when you fail your own purity test...

If you want to troll, then troll.
    If you want an honest debate, then have one.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So it's Monday night in a barracks somebody is thinking
    Jumping from the 3rd floor into an inflatable pool is a good idea!
    Probably wearing a wig and a g string covered in a light coat of CLP.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Hopefully wearing an "I'm With Her" t-shirt, too.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    This used to BURN MY BRITCHES! I was in Law Enforcement in the Air Force in the late 80's and early 90's, back before it was Security Forces. I was NOT allowed to carry a firearm unless I was at work. They trusted me for 8-12 hours a day, but the rest of the time, they couldn't trust me. I hated being a sitting duck. The military will send men and women to the field and have them married to their rifle and then take it away from them when they get to the post/base. Trust me here but not here. It was bull crap.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I remember this one. Hey drive your pick up under the windows slow were gonna jump out the windows into the bed.
    Did not go as planned!

This is a good one what do you do when a 300 pound 6,6 guy drinks a whole bottle of "wild turkey".
    Then stands naked on the pool table in the day room throwing pool balls though the windows?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...This is a good one what do you do when a 300 pound 6,6 guy drinks a whole bottle of "wild turkey".
    Then stands naked on the pool table in the day room throwing pool balls though the windows?

That's easy, just play foosball or ping-pong and ignore him until he goes to sleep and you can play pool again. :yesway:

Also known as 'No-Pool Thursdays'.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . .

. . . are we for military personal being allowed to carry weapons or are we a'gin' it?

Based on much of the preceding discussion, I can't tell. I don't pretend to understand military culture, but the discussion seems to have bogged-down in why it's a bad idea based on cultural, logistics, and training issues rather than whether or not these men and women should be allowed the means to protect themselves.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So . . .

. . . are we for military personal being allowed to carry weapons or are we a'gin' it?

Based on much of the preceding discussion, I can't tell. I don't pretend to understand military culture, but the discussion seems to have bogged-down in why it's a bad idea based on cultural, logistics, and training issues rather than whether or not these men and women should be allowed the means to protect themselves.

To sum up my position (and nearly as I can tell there are some folks who agree) we're pretty much cool with people having weapons most anywhere except barracks.

Last thing you want when the barracks clear and 2 full companies of infantrymen start going tooth and nail is to introduce firearms to the equation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To sum up my position (and nearly as I can tell there are some folks who agree) we're pretty much cool with people having weapons most anywhere except barracks.

Last thing you want when the barracks clear and 2 full companies of infantrymen start going tooth and nail is to introduce firearms to the equation.

Why not do something about that kind of behavior - whether you allow weapons or not? If it's really that bad, it's seems too dangerous whether firearms are involved or not.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

That was almost 30 years ago. I didn't thing anybody remembered. I don't even limp much any more, good times!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

I agree with this. The "military bearing" is gone in the barracks after dark. It's a different world. Lots of drinking, testosterone and clashing of cultures. Fights are common. It's hard to describe to someone that hasn't been there. It's a highly charged environment, maybe it's changed, but I doubt it.
    BBI made a comparison to disarming before going into the jail, and was chastised. It's really not that different. It can be a prison like environment. Kick some gangbangers ass from Detroit, Philly or Compton, and you will be left alone. Put 30 guys in a room, and the supervisor leaves, a pecking order will be established.

Allow them arms, but they will be highly regulated by the UCMJ. For those that didn't serve, the punishinents under the UCMJ are swift and severe.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why not do something about that kind of behavior - whether you allow weapons or not? If it's really that bad, it's seems too dangerous whether firearms are involved or not.

Because you want fighters, and fighters are going to fight.

People in my unit were arrested in the civilian world for bar fights, for fighting LEOs, for fighting most anyone you can imagine. One guy kicked a civilian LEO unconscious and got prison time. Fighting outside is bad. Fighting in the barracks gets it out of your system, rarely results in any real repercussions aside from extra duty and restriction to base type stuff, and allows fighters to fight in a somewhat controlled environment.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So . . .

I think most of us are in the gray area of "yes, but with restrictions." I've yet to see anyone with an issue with recruiters carrying, for example. Most folks are not real hip to have guns in the barracks...seemingly the vast majority of us who lived there at one time or another so that's probably a clue. *IF* proper training and logistics are in place, I see no reason that you couldn't have a program for troops to carry. Being the military, I'd expect something like a test bed of NCOs, evaluate, then expand the program if things go well. Along with a new acronym. With duplicated efforts by each branch. With conflicting regulations between the branches. Because military.

Top Bottom