• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    :dunno:Although I find this little "statistical numbers game" humorous, I hope that all of you take a good look at how these "facts" are portrayed. I am not sure where the number of accidental deaths via doctor came from, but it is most certainly lumped with other statistics. I would imagine that the person who came up with this is including deaths caused by hospital bourne infections, prescription med reactions, and many other deaths that are not neccessarily related soley to a doctor. If we were to include all of these sources of accidental medical deaths, then it would only be fair to add nurses, pharmacists, pharmaceutical execs, etc. to the numbers. I would assume that the numbers would work out quite differently. If I get a chance, perhaps I will post statistical study that is not misleading and has the sources cited.

It never ceases to amaze me how people are so quick to jump on a "study" without researching the facts, simply because it fits into their personal agenda:twocents:

The "doctor" stats are actually even more skewed than that.

Here's an example: 92 year old terminally ill patient with renal disease, chronic hypertension, and heart failure. Sent in from nursing home in an unresponsive condition. Patient is on 12 different meds back in the nursing home. Physician at the hospital doesn't get the complete list of the meds this patient is on, gives her medication that interacts with something else she's taking. Patient dies one hour later. Since it is possible that this error may have contributed to the patient's death, or her dying somewhat sooner than she otherwise would have, this death will be chalked up to a medical error. But in reality, the patient was very likely going to die no matter what the physician did.

The vast majority of patients who die under medical care are are/were terminally ill - independent of the actions of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, or anyone else. The underlying assumption in these stats - that the patients would all be alive and well today if only they hadn't come into contact with doctors - is preposterous.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    The "doctor" stats are actually even more skewed than that.

Here's an example: 92 year old terminally ill patient with renal disease, chronic hypertension, and heart failure. Sent in from nursing home in an unresponsive condition. Patient is on 12 different meds back in the nursing home. Physician at the hospital doesn't get the complete list of the meds this patient is on, gives her medication that interacts with something else she's taking. Patient dies one hour later. Since it is possible that this error may have contributed to the patient's death, or her dying somewhat sooner than she otherwise would have, this death will be chalked up to a medical error. But in reality, the patient was very likely going to die no matter what the physician did.

The vast majority of patients who die under medical care are are/were terminally ill - independent of the actions of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, or anyone else. The underlying assumption in these stats - that the patients would all be alive and well today if only they hadn't come into contact with doctors - is preposterous.

:yesway: Yep. Even without all the true facts, the statistics are a fallacy.

A shiny new pistol to anyone who can prove otherwise :D

HK45Mark23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Newburgh
    So that is why they all have to have insurance for their mistakes. People are going to die anyway. And so the Doctors can't help you because they are not gods after all.

Top Bottom