Do you think the price of ammo will drop now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I can't help but believe that the price of ammo (especially 5.56 NATO and 9mm) will drop now that we have pulled out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Does anyone else think so?

louielouie :dunno:

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I don't know why this would cause the price of ammo to drop. US Military ammo is not sold to commercial vendors anymore (nor directly to the public). The ammo is sold to demillers, that break the ammo down into its components for sale.

If anything - I'm betting ammo prices go UP due to the coming election. These increases will be seen at Gander Mountain first. :)

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    well IRAQ with draw means nothing wiTH IRAN,PAKISTAN,SYRIA,CHINA AND NORTH KOREA all looming large.......and who can forget the commming ZOMBIES!

czyhorse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Seymour
    Are-Guns-Ammo-New-Gold-Full-Infographic.jpg

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Don't forget our good friends at Cheaper Than Dirt.

I have no clue what the military has or what they intend to do with it. It would be nice if we would see more pull-down components become available at some point in the future but I'm not counting on it.

BTW how do we reverse that law that disallows selling military small arms ammunition? That just plain stinks.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    When is the last time you saw a price drop for ammo? Exactly ... ou won't see it.

Ammo has dropped significantly in the last 18 months. I remember paying $400+ per 1k for low quality 223 right after the last presidential election if you could find it and now you can get good quality stuff for $250 per 1k.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    i never go to gander mountain for ammo....way to high and the kinds of ammo is so low, but wow looking at that picture and reading all of the information makes u realize inflation big time. i dont really remember gas prices until i was driving back in 2005 but definitely some crazy stuff!

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Just because they are "leaving" Iraq doesn't mean we won't have guys hanging out in Kuwait for the next decade. And Afghanistan is still going strong as ever.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ammo has dropped significantly in the last 18 months. I remember paying $400+ per 1k for low quality 223 right after the last presidential election if you could find it and now you can get good quality stuff for $250 per 1k.

While from what I have seen, ammo has dropped from its high a couple/few years ago, but I wouldn't bet it will continue to drop. Actually, I would expect it's about time to go up again.

Pulling out of Iraq won't have any bearing on the price... Who's to say our Gov won't order up and pay for a large order for anothers army to defend themselves ?

Raw material prices, start of a rumor, upcoming elections can all play a big part in the prices/availability of ammo. The rumor wouldn't have to hold much merit to cause a availability issue. I remember back in the late 80's/early 90's when the rumor started about manufactures making primers with a shelf life... All it took was a few to believe this and panic to drive prices up.

Just because a person reloads doesn't mean they are exempt from the times of availability issues. You would only be somewhat not effected if you were already sitting on enough primers to get you through !

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'd say it would make you sick to see what our Gov has given Iraq, or just walked off and left there or destroyed because "It cost too much to bring it back". That and they want the Iraqi's to be equiped better so the next time we have to fight them and every other Middle East hoodlum that gets their hands on that stuff.....That makes sense to me.

I hope I'm wrong but I figure the firearms/ammo sitution will get stupid again because of the next Presidential election and that's going to make it really hard on us.

Last edited:

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Prices don't drop on anything but gas. They will raise those prices until the public is livid....then drop it slowly to pacify us until their next big hike......all the while getting us used to the new higher prices.

I would love ammo prices to go down, but don't see it happening.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Don't forget our good friends at Cheaper Than Dirt.

I have no clue what the military has or what they intend to do with it. It would be nice if we would see more pull-down components become available at some point in the future but I'm not counting on it.

BTW how do we reverse that law that disallows selling military small arms ammunition? That just plain stinks.

Welcome to Bartlett Reloaders - Jeff Bartlett

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The military not selling surplus to the civilians is one of the few impediments that barky has been able to implement to restrict our access to things. Don't expect that to get any better without a regime change.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Why would it go down? Are you gonna stop paying what you are paying now for it? Um, most folks will have to say NO. They need ammo. Price and demand, not price and supply.

Reload to get out of it. Sure components go up too and, maybe, just maybe, prices will come down there because us handloader/reloader types are so stinking cheap that we will NOT buy if prices seem too high for us. Our market will come down first.

Top Bottom