Do you tell friends that you are carrying before you enter their home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Palarran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm currently in process to get my LTCH. I have a question about etiquette when going over to someone's home.

I have a friend that I hang out with at his house about once every two weeks to exercise a mutually held hobby. I don't specifically know his opinion about guns, but we share similar political philosophies so I would be surprised if he was radically opposed to them. However, I don't specifically know how comfortable he is with them, and if he would like to have them in his house or not. I don't know what his wife would think, but I have some reason to believe that she may be more hostile; I have very little interaction with her when I am at his place.

I wouldn't describe him as a lifelong friend, but I have known him for about eight years, and see him fairly regularly. Should I ask him if he is comfortable with me CCW in his home, perhaps leaving it in the car if he prefers that I don't bring it in, or should I just keep quiet and make sure I am well concealed?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That really is up to you. I don't hang out with people who are violently anti-gun, and if someone asked me to disarm in their home I doubt I'd spend much time with them. I view my being armed, be it gun, knife, or many years of martial arts as being a deeply personal thing and as such it's as much of me and who I am as are other aspects. If someone else can't deal with it then that is their problem and I won't be around their home.

I think your best bet is to continue carrying as you do normally and if the subject comes up, let him take the lead on it if he wishes.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I open carry into people's homes whether I know them or not.

If they don't care for it, they can always ask me to leave. :dunno:

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Most people don't "look" for a print of a gun. So ccw-ing isn't that hard to do. If and when I tell people I have a gun they probably would have never noticed and some are shocked. I would say just carry it, unless you don't conceal it very well, or you hobby is like wrestling or something crazy.

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    I would not bring it up. If the friend notices and says something then you can deal with it. If the situation warranted I would have no problem abiding by the wishes of the home owner and locking my weapon in the car.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    If I'm worried about carrying in a friends house then they probably aren't a friend.

That is sort of true with me, they should know I have a gun or most likely have a gun on me. That said I have a few "friends" that are newer and I didn't meet at the range, hunting, etc, that might not know...but would soon figure it out anyway. :D

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    pretty much everyone that I interact with knows that I usually am CCing, so I really havent been in your situation. I would probably start a conversation with my friend about CC and get his opinion on the matter in which time I would tell him that I carry myself.

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I don't announce that I carry, i do conceal because I work on computers & am in & out of different places all the time. I was in a meeting the other day with a buddy & we started discussing the new xdm 3.8 9mm & the gun I currently carry. I pulled my .40 llama out to show him & he was like " have you been carrying the whole time"

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    99.9% of the people whose homes I enter know that I am indeed carrying a firearm at all times. The other .1% I politely pull the owner of the household aside and explain that I do indeed have a self defense firearm on my person. If they get argumentative about it i'll leave. However, in my experience if you are polite in informing the home owner they typically don't mind. Courtesy extended toward those homeowners means courtesy in them respecting my ideals and lifestyle.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I don't ask, don't tell. If someone said something to me I would look at them like they were crazy and say "I always carry, you never noticed?".
    I have not had an issue with anyone. For me it's kind of like, I don't ask people if they mind if I have a cell phone either. The gun is just part of the getup. pants, shoes, shirt, wallet, gun Etc.
    I guess if someone asked me to leave it would be like saying "I don't like you, please get off of my property". Well fine then, if you don't want me around, I don't want to be around.:wrongdoor:
    Of course, you should handle it however you feel comfortable.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont feel that I need to tell people that I carry a gun, that's just like any other weapon that I may have on me (knives, baton, pens, kubotans and such ...).
    Im not going to say "hey I have this pen on me that I could use as a weapon to kill someone.Do you mind if I enter your home with it?".
    For me a handgun is no different.

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    Yep I carry everybody knows it.A couple other members carry also. About the only thing said is how do you get a permit and cost.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I visit several friends with small children, I asked a long time ago if it was okay with them or not.

Their house, their children, their wishes. I respect my friends enough to respect their request in their home.

Argue all you want, you lack respect for anyone that you don't ask before you enter their home.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I don't mention it. I also don't ask my friends about which side they dress before they enter my home. :)

Top Bottom