• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you stipple your polymer pistol for better grip?

• Total voters

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I've got some Talon grips on my CM9 but thinking about removing them and giving stippling a go tonight.. May 'practice' on an AR pmag first, but curious what the general percentage of people stippling their polymer pistols are. Thought I'd make a poll and see what people do. Feel free to post pictures of your stippling jobs too, always interesting to see the different type of stippling jobs people do. I'll post pictures later after I've done mine.

Probably not the best thing to do for anything you may sell down the road, but I'm 99% sure I want to keep my Kahr now so not worried about lowering it's resell value. It's my daily carry now and I'm pretty confident with it, I've grown to like the little guy.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    I've never done one my self nor have I ever held one that has been done, have seen some that have looked cool and others not so cool but to each their own. Good luck!!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think stippling looks absolutely horrendous and I would never do it to one of my guns. That said, if you insist on it, I'd recommend finding someone with some experience to either do the job, or be there to walk you through it.

There are few things uglier than a bad stipple job.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    I've never done one my self nor have I ever held one that has been done, have seen some that have looked cool and others not so cool but to each their own. Good luck!!

My main interest is roughing it up a bit under the slide where my thumb rests. Ideally the increased grip will help keep the muzzle flip reduced and hopefully be beneficial to my shooting. The Talon grip is actually pretty good, so I may keep it on and just touch up a few spots that I think could use better grip, like the curve of the trigger guard where it meets the grip and the back of the grip where it curves upwards under the slide where it rests in your hand. Other than that, pretty solid.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My main interest is roughing it up a bit under the slide where my thumb rests. Ideally the increased grip will help keep the muzzle flip reduced and hopefully be beneficial to my shooting. The Talon grip is actually pretty good, so I may keep it on and just touch up a few spots that I think could use better grip, like the curve of the trigger guard where it meets the grip and the back of the grip where it curves upwards under the slide where it rests in your hand. Other than that, pretty solid.

If you are a right handed shooter and you are talking about your left thumb, I just cut a rectangular piece of skateboard tape and stuck it right where my thumb rests. Works well and not permanent though it hasn't come loose anywhere.

I stick skateboard tape on key areas of several of my pistols to give me a nice grip and aid in consistent placement of my hands. I do it well so it doesn't look bad. Heck most don't even notice it and when they do they usually ask me how they can do it to theirs. lol.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    DID I DO IT WRONG???

glock.jpg

Just kidding.

I started on the Pmag:

zQZD6xW.jpg

Not perfect, but seems like an improvement. I decided I don't like the look of the uniform lines, and it's to hard to go perfectly straight up, straight down, side-by-side....

I'll do my Kahr, just because. Will be a learning experience and I have no intention of selling it anyway.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    DID I DO IT WRONG???

glock.jpg

a friends house burned down last night and after the fire i dug out his collection for him. that glock you pictured looks to be in near mint condition compared to what i found.

as for stippling. i never found a need for it. i do understand the concept of it but i would never do it to mine.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    a friends house burned down last night and after the fire i dug out his collection for him. that glock you pictured looks to be in near mint condition compared to what i found.

as for stippling. i never found a need for it. i do understand the concept of it but i would never do it to mine.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope nothing was lost was that could not be replaced.

I started on my Kahr hours ago (I'm a night owl, it's about bed time for me). Going to finish it up after work later today. I think it looks pretty good for my first time, I've seen examples online that looked a lot worse. Granted, it's nowhere near going to be as nice as it'd be if I paid someone $100 to do it... but whatever. My hands can't feel the difference in pretty evenly spaced dots and slow and steady skills on the soldering iron. The purpose is to increase grip and reduce slip, and it does that. It won't win a beauty contest but this is my carry pistol, not a safe queen. I do have pistols that I'd not dare hack up though! :)

I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get off work.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope nothing was lost was that could not be replaced.

I started on my Kahr hours ago (I'm a night owl, it's about bed time for me). Going to finish it up after work later today. I think it looks pretty good for my first time, I've seen examples online that looked a lot worse. Granted, it's nowhere near going to be as nice as it'd be if I paid someone $100 to do it... but whatever. My hands can't feel the difference in pretty evenly spaced dots and slow and steady skills on the soldering iron. The purpose is to increase grip and reduce slip, and it does that. It won't win a beauty contest but this is my carry pistol, not a safe queen. I do have pistols that I'd not dare hack up though! :)

I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get off work.

It's too late for your Kahr, but you might try putting the first "dot" in the center, then doing circles around the dot. I have never done any stippling(other than ceilings) but it might look kinda cool.

Your Pmag looked good. I imagine the Kahr will too.

I wouldn't do my pistol, but you gave me a good idea of a way to number my P-Mags.:)

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I never, ever buy a carry gun with the resale value in mind. During a violent confrontation, stability and control to manage my front sight trumps all. People read to many tacticool magazines and see the nice and puurdy polymer guns gracing the pages and they lose focus as to what the purpose of these things are for. Putting holes in people, if the need arises.

If you can manage a polymer gun in the rain or with bloody paws, youre blessed more than most.

My fun guns dont get stippled.

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    I stippled my competition gun it's an M&P but I wouldn't do my carry gun I would have someone much better than me do it.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I dont...but my Glock22 has the RTF2 frame, so its probably more aggressive than most stipple jobs :rockwoot:

I cant see myself doing it though...its a permanent modification that (in my view) effects the value. Not to mention the fact that you may decide you don't like it after a few days/months/years...

Top Bottom