Do you really save that much money reloading your own ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That's the beauty of reloading... You can load according to what your need might be. For many, myself included, there is a time and need for both.

Agreed.

Now, this I don't understand. Just how does someone using the Hornady XTP or let's say a Speer Gold Dot make them anymore an advanced reloader than someone who can work up a very accurate and consistent cast or plated load ? Actually, having loaded all (3) myself, I often times think the jacketed often times, present fewer challenges...

I was referring to highly accurate rifle ammunition, not pistol. Relatively speaking, straight-walled pistol ammo is simple to load for, particularly if you choose jacketed bullets, as you mention. I don't equate 9mm, 40S&W or 45ACP with 44/40, 30 Herrett or 7RM...apples n' oranges. You don't hear about guys loading pistol cases who uniform primer pockets, deburr flash holes, ream or turn case necks, etc. That is what I meant by advanced reloading, not pistol.

I hope everyone verifies and occasionally practices with the SD ammo they carry. I know I do. I also know at the additional cost, I would not feel I was getting enough trigger time in if I only shot what I carried. I know this because I used to do what you are saying. This was when I was stationed in the middle of the Mohave desert back before Al Gore invented the internet... All we had was a military exchange that carried a very small selection of only jacketed bullets and (1) gun shop out in town. He was better but still only carried a few choices in Speer, Hornady, and Sierra...

We had a thread not long ago where a guy mentioned being surprised that his Critical Defense ammo misfired several times. Those of us who reload our carry ammo are less likely to ever have that problem. I don't shoot a lot of pistol ammo; I can't say that I worry about "getting enough trigger time". I'm much more interested and concerned about getting half-inch groups out of my son's 308 than I am shooting a thousand rounds of 9mm every month. Frankly, pistol shooting is boring, to me and reloading for pistols is relatively boring, as well. It's relaxing, but very straightforward, compared to reloading for rifle.

Quality, expensive bullets doesn't always mean a better quality load, just like cheaper/more affordable bullet doesn't neccesarily mean a inferior load... I will admit quality bullets would be what I would insist on for PD because of the obvious better performance of the bullet itself, but I don't need to make it 100% of what I practice with. Actually, if I had to guess, I would say what I carry only makes up maybe 10%, if even that, of my shooting once I have verified that load in my particular gun for both function and acceptable accuracy.

In the world of long-range rifle competition, high-quality expensive bullets do, indeed, make a better quality load. In fact, the single greatest reason why so many guns are capable of MOA accuracy today, compared to 30 years ago, can be attributed mostly to the increase in very good bullets. The Nosler Ballistic Tip is just one example, to say nothing of the Lapua Scenar bullets that are used so extensively in competition. Again, you are focused almost entirely on pistol shooting/loading, which means you may be missing the bigger picture when it comes to "quality" handloads.

Shooting what you actually carry is very important. I understand that. I also fully believe in the importance of enough practice to keep your skill up to a acceptable level. It's a juggling act and I find it even more complicated because I load for (3) shooters... I have no choice but to load with cheaper, cast bullets, but I am happy with the quality results I get. Cast and plated, while cheaper, can still produce very good, if not better, accuracy than the more expensive jacketed HP's. All I feel I give up is the performance of the bullet, but the paper doesn't know that. Actually, a .45 cast SWC cuts such a larger, cleaner hole in that target than any Gold Dot or XTP I have ever loaded... ;)

If I shot a LOT of pistol, I would probably be motivated to try more cast or plated bullets, but since pistol shooting is less than half of the rounds I shoot each year, I'll continue practicing with the same rounds I carry. It's a simple approach that works for me and my family but if things change and one of us starts shooting a lot, maybe I'll be asking you for advice. ;)

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    124 gr JHP 9mm:
    my reloads = 15 cents
    cheapest brass case I've found = 30 cents
    getting the round I want, when I want it = priceless

I don't have to settle for someone else's idea of the best round for my firearm.

Savings (and tweaking challenge) will be even greater when I start reloading .308.

tdm1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    the last time i checked if it is 12 ga shot gun it was cheaper to buy new when they are on sale

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    12 gauge was cheaper to buy when on sale last time i checked on reloading it

That really depends if you are reloading trap loads vs. buckshot or slugs. The biggest plus you will have on reloading trap will be better scores with higher quality reloads then the bulk packs.
    I'm tempted to reload buckshot to have a nice supply of it, and as for slugs.. well, I don't really have a use to reload slugs.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    when I run the numbers, and then factor in the value of my time and workbench space,then think about how much I shoot...it would take years to make back my investment vs. buying in bulk.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    saving money is a relative term. Do i save per round i load....YES! I am reloading them at about 50% of what i could buy them for or less (depending on the round quality and so on). But i am spending every bit as much because i reload more rounds than i would normally buy. I shoot a bit more but im also putting up some to store up.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    when I run the numbers, and then factor in the value of my time and workbench space,then think about how much I shoot...it would take years to make back my investment vs. buying in bulk.

"the value of my time"...how many times have I heard/seen guys talk about that?!

What would you say if someone offered to PAY YOU $10/hour to play golf or go fishing? Reloading is not a "chore" like mowing the lawn, it's a hobby, like wood-working or well, SHOOTING! Do you factor in the cost of your time when you go to the range to shoot a few boxes of ammo?

How much DO you shoot? If you're thinking it would take years to make back your investment, I'm guessing you shoot 5-10 rounds a month? If you shoot hundreds of rounds per month, it would take less than half a year to see a ROI on a modest reloading set up.

Even if you discount the fact that reloading is fun, relaxing and oh-so-rewarding...I'm willing to bet you would break even a lot faster than you think. Why not post your numbers up here, excluding your time, and we'll show you just how quickly you would be coming out ahead on the deal. Like I said, unless you're only shooting 1 mag a month, it won't take long. ;)

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    IMO, reloading is a time-consuming PITA. A necessary evil, if you will, to support my shooting habit. While it can be rewarding in its own right, I'm sure most see it as less its own hobby and more a means to an end.

There are ways to speed things up (turret or progressive press, electronic power measure/scale, etc), but especially when loading for precision rifle you can't cut corners on prep.

Taking 100 pieces of once-fired 223 or 260 brass and turning them into 100 rounds of half-MOA ammunition takes me the better part of a half day. Tumble clean, lube, resize, uniform primer pockets, trim to length (most time consuming part), prime, add powder, seat to length...bah humbug!

But...when I can load 20 rounds with 130gr Berger VLDs for about $10 vs. buying similar ammo for $35-40, that's the payoff...

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I have to agree....reloading pays back MUCH faster than what people think. Also as its been said 1000 times before you dont have to be as dependent on the peaks and valleys of the ammo price and availability swings.

"the value of my time"...how many times have I heard/seen guys talk about that?!

What would you say if someone offered to PAY YOU $10/hour to play golf or go fishing? Reloading is not a "chore" like mowing the lawn, it's a hobby, like wood-working or well, SHOOTING! Do you factor in the cost of your time when you go to the range to shoot a few boxes of ammo?

How much DO you shoot? If you're thinking it would take years to make back your investment, I'm guessing you shoot 5-10 rounds a month? If you shoot hundreds of rounds per month, it would take less than half a year to see a ROI on a modest reloading set up.

Even if you discount the fact that reloading is fun, relaxing and oh-so-rewarding...I'm willing to bet you would break even a lot faster than you think. Why not post your numbers up here, excluding your time, and we'll show you just how quickly you would be coming out ahead on the deal. Like I said, unless you're only shooting 1 mag a month, it won't take long. ;)

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

I see that alot also. I have no kids and my gf works odd unpredictable hours so i have some free time that is better spent at the reloading table than in front of the TV. I guess if i had kids then maybe time would be an issue. I am however starting my own business right now and i can see that maybe taking up some time in the future.:dunno:

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    Reloading does save a bunch of money, but with that savings comes more shooting. When I shoot store bought ammo, I tend to be more conservative with the number of rounds sent down range, but with reloads I shoot until I've had enough or run out of time. I am reloading .45acp for $12/100 using 200lswc bullets from Vance and am reloading 38spl and 40 cal at $8.50.100. This is using brass I already have. I am getting ready to start reloading .223 and had 600 match grade speer and nosler bullets given to me so I will only have the cost of powder and primers :)
    I elected to go with a Dillon XL650 with the case feed which set me back a grand, but after cussing the early Lee turret and load master, I decided the extra cost of the Dillon was worth it to me. Plus with the dillon, I can crank out 300 pistol rounds in under a half hour, and since I have very little free time, I like that feature.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't have all my figures, but I know I'm reloading 9mm for $6 per 50. What's the cheapest brass cased stuff, $11 or so. Now I see people complaining again that Walmart has no ammo. I just laugh and load my own.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

guess I just can't put a price on the time I spend with the family

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I SAVE NO MONEY reloading my own ammo. But I DO SHOOT A LOT MORE for the same amount of money. And the reloading stuff kinda becomes a new hobby/special interest related to firearms.

Top Bottom