• ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

I'll quote the guy that taught me how to shoot:

"It ain't the guy that makes his gun go boom first.

It ain't the guy that makes his gun go boom the loudest.

It ain't the guy that makes his gun go boom the most times.

It's the guy that puts a hole in the other guy's sternum that wins the gunfight."

Nuff said.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    First off I'd like to say that. I believe it's training,Practice,Training,Practice, Repeat again and again. That makes a good Side arm. Regardless of what type or Cal. If you are comfortable with it and are able to put the rounds where you want them. Then you ahve a fine piece of hardware.
    Having said that I do have my favorite. I do carry a PT92AF 9mm. However I prefer a .45ACP or a .45LC I'm looking at buying a Ruger Redhawk revolver in .45LC.
    I have on occasion carried a New Dakota single 6 in .45LC.
    Just my 2cents.
    God Bless

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I cast my vote for the .40s&w

if I absolutely HAD to pick between 9mm and .45acp I suppose I would pick the .45 due to the larger cavity it would produce.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm switching from a full size Glock to a Kahr sub compact. The Glock was .40 the Kahr is .45. I'm switching because I shoot the Kahr very well, its easier to carry and I grew up with .45.

Just like so many others have said its more about what you can shoot the best than caliber with modern ammunition. Now if I was still in the USMC I would prefer .45 over 9mm any day because in that situation your shooting FMJ so the bigger the hole the better.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I have always carried .45ACP
    First gun, Star PD 6+1 I carried this in Colorado.
    After getting my IN LTCH I bought an XD45C 10+1 and 13+1.
    I always carried it 10+1 and carried a spare mag.
    I then bought a SA 1911 LW Champion Operator 7+1.
    I carry it with 2 spare mags.
    I trust the .45.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    I'm switching from a full size Glock to a Kahr sub compact. The Glock was .40 the Kahr is .45. I'm switching because I shoot the Kahr very well, its easier to carry and I grew up with .45.

Just like so many others have said its more about what you can shoot the best than caliber with modern ammunition. Now if I was still in the USMC I would prefer .45 over 9mm any day because in that situation your shooting FMJ so the bigger the hole the better.

Very good point about the 45 ball vs the 9mm ball. I think the 9mm got a bad rap in th 80's due to the .mil moving towards this round. They were going from .45 ball ammo to 9mm ball ammo, pretty sure I know what is going to perform better. Now fast forward 20+ years and most modern self defense ammo for 9mm is going to be HP (which I realize the .mil cannot use) and performs very very nicely. Again YMMV and I think the best round is the one you can put center mass.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    The important factor is to carry. With that said, whatever you are competent, confident and comfortable with. I bought a M&P9C, but went back to my 45. Now a kimber Pro TLE II with night sights. I prefer the slim 1911. I am comfident 9 rounds plus 8 in a spare mag is adequate. No 9MM bashing here, very adequate. I just like the simplicity on the 1911 design and have trained with it for 25 years.

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    9mm for me. Started w/ 9mm have been through almost all others and have decided that the 9mm fits MY needs the best. Price of practice ammo, recoil, performance, capacity, and ability to place shots are all important factors which leave me with my trustee G19. Some day I would like to consider carrying a 1911, but changing to that platform would require quite a bit of training for me to become comfortable with it.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    In the past I have carried nearly always my G19 in 9mm. Why I feel comfortable shooting it and it was not too difficult to conceal. In the future I may carry more often a compact 1911 once I get it. I feel comfortable shooting either but will dumb a couple hundred rds through the new gun just to make sure I have the feel for it. Then it will mainly be a matter of preference and the compact 1911 is easier to conceal.

Top Bottom