• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do Illinois gun laws affect your travel there?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I avoid it as much as possible. I have a friend going to school there, and I have gone to visit her once. Didnt carry, and I avoided spending any money off campus. I spent just a tiny bit of money on food while I was on campus, and two gallons of gas to get myself back in Indiana. I specifically made sure I didnt spend ANY money in Chicago. My girlfriend used to shop in Chicago a few times a year, but we have been changing that. At this point she will window shop there, but spend no (or as little as possible) money, and just order identical items online.

In addition, I recently restricted my job search from including Chicago, even though it would have been far easier to find one there. It took a little while longer, but I found one in Indiana and can continue enjoying my freedom.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Also, tell your legislator that after learning of the draconian laws in IL, I've seriously had to think twice about what will happen if I want to go visit my family. I'll have to give serious thought to whether I want to give up my 2A rights and my family's ability to protect ourselves to go visit the people I love. I really don't want your state's laws to come between me and my family, but they just might. It's not just a matter of spending money, or traveling through, or actually liking the state and it's tourist attractions. I don't see my family as much as I'd like to as it is. Your gun laws shouldn't be a factor too.

I personally can only hope that IL wakes up and fixes this issue, even if they don't make their laws as open about carrying as IN. Being able to carry and reciprocity with states, IN included, would be a good start.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I travel to through IL a few times a year, and ONLY because it's the fastest way to get where I am going... I stop at the last gas station before the state line, fill it all the way up no matter how much gas is still in the tank, and then fill up on the other side of the state.
    (obviously I disarm at this point too)

I also drive 1 UNDER the speed limit because they are speed trap HAPPY in that state. I refuse to spend a single PENNY in Illinois.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I also live right on the border, its about a 15 minute drive. I go there when I have to because of work. The only business I support there is the Crazy Horse Gun Shop in Paris, IL. Its one way that I feel I can fight their stupid gun laws, by supporting a local gun shop, plus its a pretty cool gun shop.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have to travel through Illinois and also to visit family so I can't avoid it. I am not worried about not carrying as the chances of being attacked where I go are reletively small but it is a bother.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    We live in north central Indiana, and travel west a couple of times a year. We travel south to Evansville, IN and thru KY and around to MO, then head west. I won't set foot/wheel in IL due to the gun laws there.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Couldn't vote. I don't travel much in IL but not because of stupid gun laws. Just nothing there that interests me enough to go there.

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    "Sorry, I can't even open the gun case with you standing here, let alone let you hold a gun."

As is often the case, the clerk was badly mistaken. As a non-resident, you are not required to have a FOID nor do you qualify. He could have sold you a long gun, and had you passed the NICS check, you could have taken it with you. Unlike IL residents who have to abide by a 24 hour waiting period.

AB

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    I'm three miles from the state line and see no need to travel into Illinois. The constant nonsense reported as news by the Chicago TV stations reinforces my stand.I'll spend my money in Indiana. If the crooks in office would change the carry laws, I'd make exceptions but would still limit dollars spent due to their high sales taxes.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Simply put, I try to avoid any place that restricts my freedoms to such a drastic extent (IL, WI, gun free zones, etc.)

In Wisconsin, they don't take your prints, charge you a fee, or harrass you at the range, you can open carry everywhere. The restriction is in a moving vehicle.

We hunt, fish, camp in Illinois often, I also go to my kids school, the airport, fished and hunted in Canada, Mexico, and a few other places that don't provide the freedoms we enjoy here.

I unload at the gun show, the air show, the state fair, and have been in a few gun shops where I've had to unload as well.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    chose option #1

Got cousins in both north (urban) and south (very rural) parts of the state. I'm always coming up with excuses why I can not (will not) come to visit or attend family reunions there.

I have and will pay as much as $100 extra to avoid a connecting flight through O'Hare or Midway.

A coworker jumped up and down with excitement at the prospect of hunting monster bucks in the area of the Shawnee National Forest when he found out my aunts and uncles owned acreage there. He even offered to pay for both of our out-of-state licenses and travel expenses. I came up with a plausible excuse why I couldn't go.

It's too bad, too. I still have fond memories of our family trip to Chicago, when I was about ten years old. We toured the Museum of Natural History, the Museum of Science and Industry, the U505, Shedd Aquarium, and went to the very top of the John Hancock building. It was awesome.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I travel to Bolingbrooke everyday to work. I don't carry in Illinois, I never know what might happen on my long journey.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    My family and I have traveled west twice in the last two years, both times we stoped at speedway gas station in terre haute and filled up. We then secure and stowe are family protectors to drive defenseless straight thru Illinois. We stop when we get into Mo. and are relieved we survived our trip across such a horrible state! I can't imagine being a resident, why would you let someone take your rights away. The criminals don't care what the law is, other than it means they probably won't get shot while trying to commit crimes. Good for them, bad for us!

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Once I was old enough to carry a gun, I specifically left Chicago for Indianapolis. Illinois/Chicago has nothing to offer me that Indiana/Indianapolis doesn't. Oh, and I like keeping more of my paycheck too.

I frequently drive through Illinois to visit my sister in Missouri and never get off I-70, even if it means starving to death or rolling into St. Louis on fumes.

Top Bottom