Do you let your kids play with "toy" guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    My parents didn't let me play with toy guns, or real ones for that matter, actually I grew up in a gun free house. A couple of years ago my dad looked at me and said, "I have no idea where your interest in guns came from."

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I had plenty of toy guns when I was a kid. So did my boys. My Dad taught me to shoot when I was 11 or 12. I in turn taught mine to treat them with respect. Guns are a part of life - end of story.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    My kids all grew up with guns. THey had their own toy guns, My oldest daughter, would get her toy guns out and "work" on them when I would clean mine or work on them. My son, had his own toy guns and his own toy gun, gun rack. My youngest daughter never really had an interest in them. Not anti at all, fully supports the 2nd amendment, but just never had an interest.

flick1900

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Troy, IN
    I just watched the what happens when you don't use hollows video. I have also noticed my little cousin who is 6 always gets toy guns. I think we all probably did when we were kids. But do you buy them for your own kids now?

I do not have children yet myself...But I think that I want them to take it seriously. Even when they tell him not to point at people he still does and rarely is anything ever said. I think that I just want my kids to take it very seriously. That its not a toy maybe kids just need to be kids I don't know.

Spending time with your kids (especially at a young age), teaching them the difference between toys and real weapons is invaluable. Kids will be kids, and they will play. They will look at what you do more so than with what you say.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Nonsense, toys are toys.

I wonder if those that do not allow their kids to have toy guns do not allow them to play with toy cars until they are 16? Do they allow their daughters to see a naked Ken doll? Parents have a right to raise their children as they see fit but I believe this is just more parenting advice that make me :puke:.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I grew up with toy guns in our household. That was in the 50's. I remember taking a shotgun on the bus to Southport H.S. in the 60's. Also a .22 rifle. That was normal back then. We never had any school shootings, though. In fact, I have never heard of a school shooting occurring till the 80's. Has to be a link between liberalism and society there. Maybe Dr. Spock....
    My kids grew up with both toy ones and real ones in the house. Started them shooting in grade school. Gave each of them a collectible .22 rifle for their first gun. The youngest is 27 and they all 3 still have those guns.

clownsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Fishers
    I can't see why you wouldn't. I'm fairly liberal, and my wife is more liberal than I am, and we've talked about it a few times. The most important thing is making sure my kids learn to respect and understand guns.

I kind of don't get people that think that toy guns will lead to violence. You have to respect your kids at least a little bit. I remember the first time I held a .38 when I was in junior high. Standing at the range, I remember that it wasn't like a toy. Not at all. There was a difference, and I knew it immediately.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Absolutely! I had toy guns as a kid, and I also "made" my own. Nerf wasn't as popular or available but cap guns, dart guns, sticks, baseball bats (rifles since we didn't have them) BB guns (eventually), etc.

My parents didn't care that I had or played with toy guns. I just had to be careful with them so they didn't break anything in the house.

My son has Nerf guns. We've been working on the Rules since before we brought firearms into the home. He's also got a BB gun that he'll start shooting soon, now that the weather is cooperating.

And I agree, boys will make anything a gun. I did it, my son does it. I just have to make sure the knows the difference.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    I grew up with guns and dad and grandpa taught me to shoot. Got away from guns for years but the interest restarted a few years back. As a result of video games and TV my son started having an interest in guns a couple of years ago so I go him some training and trigger time. Unfortunately, he nearly lost an eye when he was shot from a couple of feet away with an airsoft gun by one of his friends. He had taken off his safety glasses to reload and his friend got careless. The experience taught him quite a bit. Both of us have a much better understanding of "toy" guns.

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I grew up with toy guns and video games with guns in them like MW2, Rainbow Six, etc. If anyone looked at me or hung around me they'd never think I was some "gun crazy nut." Yeah I like guns as a hobby, I'm not afraid of them, but I have a healthy respect for them. I have my dad to thank for that. When I have kids it'll be the same thing - whether they wind up wanting to shoot or not it's up to them, but I'll at least make sure they have a solid foundation for safe handling of and respect for firearms, and the fundamentals of shooting just in case.

My wife bought an spring-powered airsoft for me a few years back to guard our garden from those pesky birds. One hit on them will sting but not injure them and they learned real fast not to approach us. Now I'm using that to teach her basic gun safety but we'll sign up together with a professional for NRA-sanctioned training once she gets her LTCH and pistol.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My anti-gun wife said our first born would never get a toy gun. He was not allowed to watch anything but public TV. By the time he was 3 he was biting his cheese into the shape of a gun and going "Bang!" Fail. He still didn't get any toy guns, but creatively used sticks to make them. The neighbor kids would say "That's not a gun. That's a stick!" Half an hour later they all had one. Fail. Now the kids all take trips to the range and know how to handle the real thing. Win. I guess the anti-gunner in our house surrenedered to reality.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Yeah, why not? I had a number of them when I was a kid. Did not hurt me in the least bit. Anyone who thinks that is wrong is just dumb. When I was a kid I had toy (plastic) baseball bats too, until I was old enough to have the real thing. I did not beat anyone to death with the real one just because I had it. Did not even cross my mind. I feel it is about how one raises their children that makes the difference, that is, if the parents want to spend the time to actually do that anymore. JMHO.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I had toy guns as a kid. We ran around aiming them at each other playing army all the time. I didnt grow up with no respect of firearms. My kid will get them and I will instill proper gun handling and safety with him. If he wants to go out and play army with his friends I will have no problem with that either.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    I always played with toy guns and the funny thing is I still do. My 6 year old and I get in to some awesome nerf wars around the house. My wife thinks I would still buy them if we had no kids(shes right, have you seen some of the ones available). I dont concentrate on the safety rules with the toy guns but I'm always pounding in his head that there are toy guns and real ones. when i clean my guns I let him handle them and teach him how to do it properly and safely. Always been open with my kids and the guns, I feel they need to know there not bad but you must respect them.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    All of my daughters had toy guns...
    and then progressed to air guns...
    and the progressed to rim fire rifles...
    and then progressed to 410 shotguns...
    and then progressed to centerfire rifles...
    and then progressed to handguns...

and by the time they were in their early teens they were competent in a wide variety of firearms.

Good parents setting good examples and providing good direction is what is impotant.... not what inanimate objects they are exposed to.

I wish you the best.

Top Bottom