Do you let your deer hang over night before processing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    If it's around 40 during the day I'll let it hang until I have time to process it. A week is fine with me. Sometimes I don't have time and I have to do it the next day. I hang it head down and let the blood pool in the neck not the hind quarters. ( I don't like neck roasts ). It is easier to cut up when the meat is chilled out.
    Sometimes I skin it sometimes I don't. I always rinse it out if it's possible.
    I grind the burger at about 3:1 (3 parts deer) with pork.
    That's my :twocents:

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    I haven't been trained as a butcher or a chef (oh no, I own a restaurant, don't tell anyone I'm not a chef :laugh: ), but, based on the deer processing videos I have and my memory of what I learned from them (which may be close but not exactly what was taught in the videos), hanging deer is not necessary, but fine as long as the temperature is 40 degrees or lower. Aging the meat is a way of tenderizing the meat as it begins to decompose. It has little to do with the flavor. The game taste comes from the bones, fat and sinue ( I don't know how to spell sinue). I read in some previous posts about blood giving it the game taste. I don't know if that's true or not, but it sounds logical.

If the temperature or the amount of free time you have to process your deer does not make it possible for you to age your venison even though you want to, you can always age it some other time after it has been processed. For instance, the venison is processed and kept in your freezer. If you plan ahead, you can take out your venison package a week before you intend to eat it and allow it to age in your refrigerator. I know that's not convenient, but if the temperature outside is too high and you do not have a walk in refrigerator to hang the deer in while safely starting the decomposing process, then it is a way to safely age your venison to your preference.

I don't worry about aging my deer. I take care of the deer to the best of my ability with the limited time I have in order to ensure the venison is delicious. I attempt to hang the deer overnight if possible to remove as much blood as possible. If I can't hang it over night or if there is blood sitting in the vacuum packed bag after it thaws, I rinse and drain the blood out before cooking it. Cooking the venison at the proper temperature and for the correct amount of time based on the cut of meat you have is more important to achieve the best flavor and correct tenderness than aging, but aging does tenderize the meat.

This is something I learned from the videos I've watched in the past, but that does not mean I remembered everything correctly nor does it mean the videos were 100% factual. There is a lot of contradiction when it comes to the "professionals" in any given field. Watch enough deer hunting videos and pay close enough attention to the advise they give and you will pick up on how much they contradict each other.

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    If you do hang the deer, Watch for the coyotes and dogs trying to sneak up on it

That happened to me a few years ago. Coyotes ate about a quarter of my deer as it was hanging 5 feet away from the shed we were sleeping in at deer camp in Orange county. There was only about 1 1/2 hours from the time we went to bed and last saw the deer in good condition until we woke up to go hunting again. I was not happy, but it did make us all laugh.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Our deer almost always hang for a week. Anything shot on opening day of firearms, is processed the next weekend. (when most of our help is available) If something is shot mid-week, it may only hang 2-3 days. The "hang time " pretty much revolves around everyones work schedules. My old garage is ugly, but it does stay pretty cool inside. If the weather is warmer, I stick a 20# bag of ice in the chest cavity, and an 8# across each hind quarter. (we hang our deer head down, and leave the hide on until the day of processing) I don't know if our method is any better, or any worse ,than anyone else's. I do know that in the 20+ years of processing our own deer, no one has died yet.:):

bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    12-5-09 THIS WEEKEND IS MUZZLELOADER 20-30 SOMETHING DEGREES LET THEM HANG A DAY OR SO . SHOOT ONE LET IT HANG GO BACK OUT IF YOU HAVE A TAG SHOOT A DOE ====== GREAT TIME

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    We normally let ours hang a week before processing, with low temps in the 40s. Above that, try to do it within 3 or 4 days. Word of caution, however, even with a cool, shaded garage, we had to throw out a back quarter and the loins from my buck because sunlight was hitting it during the day.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    As soon as the deer is down I gut it and take out the lungs to let it start cooling. I’ll leave the hide on it, hang it head down to drain and keep it dry till I’m ready to butcher. If the weather is cool enough, I’ll let it hang for about four days. If the temp gets to 50 for a short time my building will stay cool enough as long as the sun doesn’t hit the roof but I keep an eye on a thermometer hanging inside at the same height as the deer. If the temp inside goes up over 50 for a short time or stays just over 45 for a longer time, I’ll skin it and start cutting up the meat.

Bucky

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I like to let my deer hang overnight if possible. I have quartered them out right away before and get the meat in the fridge, especially during early archery.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    they cut much easier if you alow them to hang overnight at 40 degrees

i personally field dress mine asap get them home wash out the cavity then hang them in my shop and skin them . If it is warm 40+ i bone them out and grind into burger if it is cold i ll let them hang for up to 2 weeks if it is below 30

Top Bottom