• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hizenthorn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    I'm new here, forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.

When I leave for work in the morning, I always do the same routine with either my HK USP .45/Glock 19 G4/Sig P238. Grab it from its respective place in my apartment, carry it with me to my car, tuck in behind the passenger seat. Get home from work, grab it, and take it back into my apartment, and over again if I go out. Although If I go out again I generally take it IWB. I've thought of just keeping one in my car 24/7... but not too sure how I feel about that. Call me weird but I like keeping my 3 handguns in certain places in my apartment (I'm single and live alone).

Just wanted to hear some thoughts and opinions. Fire away (pun intended).:):

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've thought of just keeping one in my car 24/7... but not too sure how I feel about that.

I am not a fan of "car guns," simply because:
    1) if the car gets stolen the gun goes with it, and

2) in the event of a car break-in, there's more than just a stereo or some cash gone, there's another gun on the streets in the hands of a criminal.

The best place to have a handgun is on your person.

My :twocents:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am not a big fan of leaving guns in the car. But I agree that at the very least you should invest in a small gun with a cable. They cost about $30.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It's best to keep one on your person yea, but also to keep a backup in the car, and some extra magazines, and some ammo. Oh, and some range ammo in case you pass by a range!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It's best to keep one on your person yea, but also to keep a backup in the car, and some extra magazines, and some ammo.

IF you choose to do this, I strongly suggest your "car gun" be of a compatible mag type and caliber as your EDC. This will keep training issues to a minimum, and will allow you to use the same mags and ammo in both. For example, I know a couple guys who carry compact or subcompact Glocks, and keep a full-size Glock in the car along with several large-capacity mags and plenty of ammo which could be used to feed either gun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. The only advantage of a pistol is portability. You need to carry it to prevent it from flopping around the car when you need it (remember Miami 1986?).

2. If you carry it, put it on you in a holster and not some stupid gun rag fancy of the month in position Tactical Testicles. Your holster should not point your pistol at you.

3. If you are going to have a gun in the car, have a big gun, not some dinky pistol.

When I slung guns across the glass, I heard it over and over "I gots me a pistol in the truck.":rolleyes:

Yeah, Cledus, a lot of good it does in here. Put your pistol on you so it goes where you go. If you have to "go git meye gun" make it your "rifle gun".

scooterb

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    evansville
    12 guage mossberg lives in my trunk... Only time I take it out is at the range or to clean it.... Or if I need it, which is not very often

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    1. The only advantage of a pistol is portability. You need to carry it to prevent it from flopping around the car when you need it (remember Miami 1986?).

2. If you carry it, put it on you in a holster and not some stupid gun rag fancy of the month in position Tactical Testicles. Your holster should not point your pistol at you.

3. If you are going to have a gun in the car, have a big gun, not some dinky pistol.

When I slung guns across the glass, I heard it over and over "I gots me a pistol in the truck.":rolleyes:

Yeah, Cledus, a lot of good it does in here. Put your pistol on you so it goes where you go. If you have to "go git meye gun" make it your "rifle gun".

The only job of the pistol is to get you to your rifle :twocents:.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    The same one that is dedicated to my backpocket.Usually it is a public defender,but its only in the car when Iam.lol

Yukon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    I left my Ruger LCR in my vehicle for a few months but just didn't like the feeling of someone possibly breaking into my car and having my gun to do whatever with so I brought it back into the house.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To the OP: I understand where you are coming from. I would just make sure it is properly secured in your vehicle by more than just locking the doors. At least get a lockbox that can be mounted to the vehicle or at least secured to a seat by a cable. They are fairly inexpensive and much better than having a gun just laying under the seat. My :twocents:

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    Yes I have a dedicated car firearm, but it's one that stays with me. Having your car stolen sucks! Having your car stolen and and an expensive (they're all expensive) firearm now in the hands of a felon is unthinkable. I prefer a Forbus roto paddle set up (canted) towards cross draw which won't interfere with the seat belt. I prefer a revolver for this role as I don't relish a hot brass shower.

slyton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Albany
    OP i have your same routine, just less choices on what to take with me. and at work I have to leave it in the car. The idea of a car gun sounds good, but the idea of leaving it there while I am away from the car just does not do it for me. I have left it in the car over night, i always feel a little twitchy about it.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Couldn't if I wanted to. My daughter drives my car fairly frequently, and she has no desire to be around guns, much less a LTCH.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I normally use the CZ for everything. It's not that big of a deal to bring it in at night and grab it in the morning to head out.

All the other pieces I have are for fun at the range.

Top Bottom