• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fathouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Franklin, Indiana USA
    This is my back yard. I live out side of city limits so I am pretty sure it is legal to shoot on my property.

What I am wanting to do is set some steel targets out by my fence and shoot them with my .22 rifle.

There is a big field between me and the next country road which has houses on it. Here is a pic for referance. My deck to the fence is ~25 yards for referance.

picture.php

Thanks

Fathouse

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'd still build some sort of a backstop. I wouldn't count on the distance across the field to catch the bullets.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    A .22 can travel up to a mile! It looks a little iffy to me!
    Do not think I would chance it Houses and buildings on the right and even behind look too close for comfort. Just my opinion.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    defintally going to need a back stop there. i doubt you would hit a house before hitting the ground but it could bonch off the flat ground and get to those houses

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Anything less than a 60* approach angle (steep) and i would fear it would skip. Like you said, never know if there is a bit of frozen dirt or rock right below the surface.

For $8 each you could by 8 rail road ties and build a backstop two ties thick 4 ties high (approx. 14" thick and 32" tall). If it's only for .22LR anyway. If you want to make it really good you could add about 24" of sand in front of the ties at an angle which, i think, would be good for pistol calibers as well as rim fire. Since you said you were firing down, you would be firing into it and the sand and RR ties would stop any chance of a ricochet. But no steel targets in that case.

But, i personally would have to build one heck of a backstop to feel safe shooting in that location. But i am paranoid, which isn't necessarily a bad thing with firearms... I don't like shooting anywhere other than into a hillside.

and... I am not an expert and the above is an example only and should not be considered a safe backstop as i am not a professional and the above is just my opinion whether it is rational or not. :D

In other words, disregard the above post and pretend like you never read it. Or else! :draw:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    It is safe to shoot... Unfortunately, it isn't safe to live in one if those houses or drive down that road!

The answer to your question is not no... It is HELL NO!!!

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    and... I am not an expert and the above is an example only and should not be considered a safe backstop as i am not a professional and the above is just my opinion whether it is rational or not. :D

In other words, disregard the above post and pretend like you never read it. Or else! :draw:

Some people are so bullheaded and stand by their opinion no matter what...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What I am wanting to do is set some steel targets out by my fence and shoot them with my .22 rifle.

I would NOT consider that safe and if I lived in one of those houses behind you I'd be firing back at you (in self-defense), but not with a 22. As stated, a 22 can travel a mile pretty easily.

You need a solid backstop. I'd be looking to buy some railroad ties to build up a frame and fill it with dirt to make a solid stop for your shooting. At least 6 feet tall and shooting at targets no taller than 4' above the ground.

Top Bottom