Do you feel strange when you DON'T carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been carrying pretty much everywhere I go since the middle of May. Today I had to take my daughter for some tests at Wishard, and met my wife at IU Med Center for lunch. I did not feel comfortable leaving it in the van, as I don't have a way to store it securely in a vehicle yet, so I left it at home.

Man, the whole time I was there I felt...naked. As well as having that "did I leave the stove on?" feeling. Something was missing. I KNEW what it was, but it was really weird.

Anyone else have this experience?

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I always feel naked without. I really feel naked in the shower because my gun is way over on the toilet topper. Why did you leave ur bersa thunder in the van at IU tho?

Ive found that just keeping ammo in your pocket or a mag helps with the naked feelings plus you can always throw it at the bag guy lol

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    This is definitely an experience I have each time I head out without my gun. I went to an Indians baseball game this week, and didn't carry due to their rules (though security was pretty lax when I entered, so I'd have been fine).

I fear returning home and interupting an intruder... though that is quickly reduced when I find my German Shephard dog happy to see me.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I always feel naked without. I really feel naked in the shower because my gun is way over on the toilet topper. Why did you leave ur bersa thunder in the van at IU tho?

Ive found that just keeping ammo in your pocket or a mag helps with the naked feelings plus you can always throw it at the bag guy lol

There are signs EVERYWHERE that say "No Weapons" and since my wife works there, I didn't to get her in trouble somehow if I were to be caught.

I need to get a cable lock and box for the van so I can safely store it.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I use to carry on a part time basis, I think it was simply because the weapons I own were bulky, my opinion.

Another point for me was that I have always had trouble finding a holster in left handed that was comfortable to wear all day.

I know these are poor excuses because it only takes one time.
    I currently carry everyday, found the right combination that works for me.

So yes if I am not carrying I do feel like something is missing.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Definitely feel 'exposed' when I don't have a little tug IWB on the right side. Nothing compares with the thought that "if the SHTF, at least I have a hidden surprise that might turn the tables on a BG".

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It gets to me so bad that when I leave for work and forget to grab it, I just stand at the staris like....crap...im missing something. Like my body wont allow me to get in the car unless I have my carry weapon on me. Lol

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

Why I bought a Glock, I just dry it off afterward! LOL :laugh:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    No. The whole concept seems a little silly to me. I don't feel naked with out my Leatherman and I've been carrying it 15 years.

I guess a guy can "make" any thing in to a big deal if that's what he wants to do.

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    It doesn't really bother me.. I felt strange carrying the first day or two, but that's about it. I forget about it after a while of not carrying it, which is hardly ever. I pretty much always carry, and when I don't I do wonder what happens if i need it and don't have it...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    No. The whole concept seems a little silly to me. I don't feel naked with out my Leatherman and I've been carrying it 15 years.

I guess a guy can "make" any thing in to a big deal if that's what he wants to do.

Ah, well, I will just ask the Mods to close this thread then, since the rest of us are "silly".

Thank you for correcting us Jack, you are obviously wiser than the rest of us.
    :rolleyes:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Oh, now don't be mad at Jack, he's just a man's man! He doesn't want anyone to think that he's ever "felt" himself much less think that when he did it felt "strange"!

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Smith 6904 - my "Visa" - it's everywhere I want to be..... or my "American Express" - I never leave home without it! I feel just as naked without my sidearm as I do without my wallet - so I always take it with me - wherever allowed by the limits of the law.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I had to FLY into BALTIMORE earlier this week. After a year of being away from there and able to carry, it felt odd to be unarmed, especially there....

-rvb

JustGone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    In the PRK now =(
    I had to FLY into BALTIMORE earlier this week. After a year of being away from there and able to carry, it felt odd to be unarmed, especially there....

-rvb

Even though I don't carry yet I understand how you feel. I just came back from a trip to Baltimore last week...

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I use to until I drove all over the surrounding states for five years. I finnally got over it after the first year. However there were a few times when I ran into trouble on the road and wish I had a gun on me.

Top Bottom