Do you feel obligated to offer up a little something for a favor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I always tell someone 2 things if they borrow a vehicle. Even if I'm helping & driving. 1: They fill the tank to the same level they got it in. 2: they are responsible for any damages. Even if I'm helping them and driving, they still need to put gas in it. Otherwise, they always have the option to go rent a vehicle if it's that important.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    My uncle taught me something years ago that works in pretty much every situation.

If someone wants to borrow some money, your truck,etc.etc.,let them borrow it"ONCE" if they don't pay you back , or in your case, don't refill the tank, then you simply and calmly refuse them any favor in the future,reminding them that you loaned them something in the past and untill that is repaid you couldn't consider loaning them anything else.

I've used his method a few times in the past,and usually you get repaid, only once did the man get mad, and then he wouldn't speak to me and I considered it good ridance.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i have 2 trucks right now, as you can imagine i get asked all the time to loan them out. I have no problem with it at all as long as they are a friend. Certain friends return them washed and detailed with a full tank, some just a full tank and others i dont ask anything as i know they are in a ruff spot. I have only refused to help somebody move once, and that was because he had a truck but didnt want to get salt on it so he asked me. I thought that was pretty rude and refused. Ive found the best way to combat the issue if your helping people like "bill" out, is to say right up front ," im running short on cash, so unless you can pay for gas i wont be able to help"

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My father told me that if I ever had to borrow another man's car, I should bring it back with a full tank of gas, vacuumed out and washed. That way, the person knows I respect his property and will gladly allow me another opportunity, if needed.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    If the guy doesn't do you an favors, isn't poor but drives at your gas without refilling, then he is a leach. Tell him no next time.

What a selfish prick. I can't even fathom doing something like that.

I have a hard time asking for favors though. The only people I ask are my close friends and we'll do pretty much anything for each other so it's no sweat.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    So the last few days "Bill" has asked a few favors which have required me driving to town twice, and him taking my truck to another town (close to 80 miles driving)...

I have no problem offering up my time to help "Bill".. But the problem enlies my gas. My truck now sits empty (fortunately I dont to go anywhere with it any time soon), and he didnt as much as say anything in regards to the gas.

I know if I go down to his house, I will likely flip out on him (this isnt the first time hes done this kind of crap)...

If you are in my situation, what do you do?

Here's what I would do. I'd make sure that truck had just enough gas to get halfway to Bill's house, the next time he called you for a ride. I then would call Bill, explain the situation, and ask him if he could help a buddy out with a little gas.

Better take your own can.:D Just in case.:)

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Here's what I would do. I'd make sure that truck had just enough gas to get halfway to Bill's house, the next time he called you for a ride. I then would call Bill, explain the situation, and ask him if he could help a buddy out with a little gas.

Better take your own can.:D Just in case.:)

Bill lives like 300 feet from my house. Darn the luck as I love that idea!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Go fill up your truck and keep you keys in your pocket. "Bill" was certainly not my father's son.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If he was desperate and needed the help with no return it should have been part of the asking. With fuel at $4 per this is not something to be blown off. If this is a repeat of an established behavior then "Bill" needs to be removed from your phone log. Have had to release more than a few folks from my phone log in the last few years.

If you offer up your truck then stipulations need to be attached. Sucks to have to do this but some folks just take advantage. This is JMHO from my own experience.

Just read he is family. That is even worse.
    If I took your truck it would be full when returned if just to cover the miles I drove it plus the gas.

Last edited:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    If I took your truck it would be full when returned if just to cover the miles I drove it plus the gas.

I could care about the miles... Its a 14 year old truck, and Im going to keep it til the doors fall off, then I will likely weld up something to make it a Zombie-Slayer.. The point is at 13 mpg, Hes killing my wallet... Just frustrates me I guess.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I could care about the miles... Its a 14 year old truck, and Im going to keep it til the doors fall off, then I will likely weld up something to make it a Zombie-Slayer.. The point is at 13 mpg, Hes killing my wallet... Just frustrates me I guess.

It is the the point I stress, cover the good will you put forth by filling up the truck. My brother did this to me years ago. It took him a long time to remove my boot print from his rear end.

When you do the Zombie killer conversion we expect to see pics.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Unless "Bill" is dad, I'd just refuse. If it was dad (in my case, I'd refuse) I'd say something about returning it with at least the same amount of gas that he burned. If it was a cousin/brother/uncle and they refused to put gas in it, I'd either kneecap them and be done with them or kneecap them and keep them tied up in the basement for a few weeks to torture them.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Favors with vehicles always result in a full gas tank to me....
    Same here, I have a friend that borrows my truck every once in a while. It ALWAYS comes back with more gas than it had when it left; I actually feel like I owe him for the last time. It left with 1/4 tank and came back with 3/4.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My general philosophy on loaning things out is... "I don't loan anything that I absolutely can't give up". In this case it would be both the gas and the truck.
    So when things like this happen, I can just hope that he needed it more than I did. So if done to excess, the tables are turned, and since I can no longer give it up, it won't be loaned out.

Of course, this philosophy by definition necessarily precludes the loan of the wife, daughter, grandaughter, and/or the last gun in the safe. :):

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I know an elderly man who lost his wife several months ago. He was injured recently in a fall, but still can do many things for himself. He isn't rich, by any means, but he can afford to pay his own way and then some. His neighbors (husband and wife) have provided him many home cooked meals and recently mowed his lawn. He hasn't given back anything to them except a verbal thank you. They don't expect anything in return, but I think it is poor form for the elderly man not to at least send a thank you card, flowers or gift card.

If you feel like you are being taken advantage of, then you are. If you want to be generous and help out somebody repeatedly, without expecting anything in return, then you aren't being taken advantage of.

I really don't mind helping someone out who is in need. If I feel like I'm being a patsy, then I'm not shy about asking for gas money, etc.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom