• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm currently running Windows 7 Pro and either need to get this PC tuned up (malware/adware/etc) or replace it. Looks like all the new ones are Windows 8.1. I hear 8.1 is not all that great but I don't want to spend $300 for a tune up. Got any advice? Thanks.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm currently running Windows 7 Pro and either need to get this PC tuned up (malware/adware/etc) or replace it. Looks like all the new ones are Windows 8.1. I hear 8.1 is not all that great but I don't want to spend $300 for a tune up. Got any advice? Thanks.

Wait until the end of July and update to Windows 10. You can do it as a fresh install, and that alone should offer a big enough performance boost at no cost to you.

It behaves better than Windows 8.1. Will feel a bit more like Windows 7.

Never spend that kind of cash on a "tune-up".

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    A "tune up" is easily done yourself. Even better, backup important files and do a reformat/reinstall. Nothing wrong with Windows 7.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    $300 will get you a new laptop at Fry's.
    While I don't use Windoze, both of my kids are using 8.1 on their desktop and laptop and aren't having any issues with the OS. Does a pretty good job for them, but they're not power users by any stretch of the imagination. Some games, videos and internet. The stuff the majority of folks use them for. The OS works just fine.

If you get into the market for a new system, go to Fry's website and sign up for their email deals and they'll send you daily fliers with promo codes for discounts. We used them for my daughters laptop and she got a decent laptop for under $250 (before tax). The Fry's in Fishers is pretty good place to get stuff.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're set on new hardware like Mr J suggested, keep an eye on Computers.Woot as well.

Computers.Woot: Laptops, tablets, desktops, computer accessories, & more

Every few days they have a decent laptop or desktop on the daily deal. I often see laptops that are a couple generations old for very cheap. Most are probably refurbs, but they've still got plenty of power. i5 CPU and usually 8gb ram.

I've seen Dell E7440 on there (one generation old) and E6520/E6530 (1-2 gen old). Some even have docking stations.

Otherwise, the weekly Fry's ad will usually have a couple options in that range.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If the PC is older than 3-4 years, dont waste money on any kind of significant tune up time from a pro. I do consulting and regularly turn down gigs like that where they effectively "total" the computer by investing 3/4 of its value for me to make it limp another 6-12 months. If its that old, buy a new one. If its only a year or two old, it could be worth some TLC. (which you can possibly do yourself)

8.1 is OK, and 7 is VERY capable. No REAL reason to upgrade IMHO.

ETA how new is the PC? What are its specs?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

Some Free-ware you should run on your computer: Search for and run them before spending money you don't need to spend. I run these once a week at least to keep me up and running.

Spybot-Search and Destroy
    Malwarebytes: Anti-Malware
    CCleaner

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some Free-ware you should run on your computer: Search for and run them before spending money you don't need to spend. I run these once a week at least to keep me up and running.

Spybot-Search and Destroy
    Malwarebytes: Anti-Malware
    CCleaner

I run Spybot S&D and Microsoft Security Essentials. Anything sneaks through the other catches. I pretty much am problem free.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, MBAM and CCleaner are both great utilities.

Just be wary when installing these days. They try to include other crapware that you don't need.

CCleaner also tries running itself as a background utility now, so disable that.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wait until the end of July and update to Windows 10. You can do it as a fresh install, and that alone should offer a big enough performance boost at no cost to you.

It behaves better than Windows 8.1. Will feel a bit more like Windows 7.

Never spend that kind of cash on a "tune-up".

Or just download and install the preview now.

$300 will get you a new laptop at Fry's.
    While I don't use Windoze, both of my kids are using 8.1 on their desktop and laptop and aren't having any issues with the OS. Does a pretty good job for them, but they're not power users by any stretch of the imagination. Some games, videos and internet. The stuff the majority of folks use them for. The OS works just fine.

If you get into the market for a new system, go to Fry's website and sign up for their email deals and they'll send you daily fliers with promo codes for discounts. We used them for my daughters laptop and she got a decent laptop for under $250 (before tax). The Fry's in Fishers is pretty good place to get stuff.

Pretty much this. I would never spend $300 for someone to "tune up" a PC. Reload the OS (or if the machine has a restore partition, just copy off any data you want to preserve and do the restore to factory option), or download and install the Windows 10 preview. As stated, depending on what you do with it and what specs you need, low end laptops are cheap, and you'll probably see some machines getting sold on clearance, even though 10 will be a free upgrade.

If the PC is older than 3-4 years, dont waste money on any kind of significant tune up time from a pro. I do consulting and regularly turn down gigs like that where they effectively "total" the computer by investing 3/4 of its value for me to make it limp another 6-12 months. If its that old, buy a new one. If its only a year or two old, it could be worth some TLC. (which you can possibly do yourself)

8.1 is OK, and 7 is VERY capable. No REAL reason to upgrade IMHO.

ETA how new is the PC? What are its specs?

My 8.1 machines (even the low end one) boot faster than my 7 machines. 10 seems to be on par with 7 on similar hardware from what I see on the preview machine I have, but I haven't really done any benchmarking.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    Once you get Windows reinstalled and set up the way you like it, clone the drive. If you ever have any problems in the future, you can just go back to that. And don't keep your data on your C drive. That includes whatever you keep in your documents folder. That way you don't have to worry about loosing it when you use that backup clone.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Once you get Windows reinstalled and set up the way you like it, clone the drive. If you ever have any problems in the future, you can just go back to that. And don't keep your data on your C drive. That includes whatever you keep in your documents folder. That way you don't have to worry about loosing it when you use that backup clone.

THIS!

Acronis is a good product for this. There are other solutions, but this is what I have used and it works well.

The $40 price tag is worth its weight in gold compared to the HOURS of installing driver after driver after driver once windows is loaded. ugh.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Or just throw down for a macbook pro

By the same token he could just backup his data, wipe the computer and install whatever distro of linux floats his boat, for free. I'd do that before I overpaid for a Mac. That said, some people are locked into that ecosystem and don't know any better :):

As was state previously, backup your data and reload. If you can't do that, the utilities the others have mentioned will work fine. I'll also throw SuperAntiSpyware into the mix. It's found malware for me that the others have left behind. I've used it for the last 5 or 6 years, but alongside some form of free AV and MBAM as well. I just loaded the Malwarebytes Anti-exploit kit as well, which provides protection to all of your browsers. Once you clean your system, I would suggest using it.

What no one has mentioned, that I noticed, is that you should install and update the utilities in Safe Mode with Networking. Make sure you've disabled System Restore, as some malware uses that to reload themselves. I would restart into just plain safe mode (without network support) when you want to run the scans. Run MBAM, then restart, run SuperAntiSpyware, reboot, CCleaner, reboot, then scan again. This *should* get everything. I would also go through and uninstall any programs you don't use or recognize. Once you get everything clean, make sure you update your Adobe Flash, Shockwave, Reader and Java, plus make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed. You can download something like Secunia PSI to search your system for software that needs to be updated to help as well. Lastly, make sure you have AV of some sort installed. If you don't want to pay for it, there are free versions of Avast, Panda or others that should work just fine for you. Good luck!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    By the same token he could just backup his data, wipe the computer and install whatever distro of linux floats his boat, for free. I'd do that before I overpaid for a Mac. That said, some people are locked into that ecosystem and don't know any better :):

As was state previously, backup your data and reload. If you can't do that, the utilities the others have mentioned will work fine. I'll also throw SuperAntiSpyware into the mix. It's found malware for me that the others have left behind. I've used it for the last 5 or 6 years, but alongside some form of free AV and MBAM as well. I just loaded the Malwarebytes Anti-exploit kit as well, which provides protection to all of your browsers. Once you clean your system, I would suggest using it.

What no one has mentioned, that I noticed, is that you should install and update the utilities in Safe Mode with Networking. Make sure you've disabled System Restore, as some malware uses that to reload themselves. I would restart into just plain safe mode (without network support) when you want to run the scans. Run MBAM, then restart, run SuperAntiSpyware, reboot, CCleaner, reboot, then scan again. This *should* get everything. I would also go through and uninstall any programs you don't use or recognize. Once you get everything clean, make sure you update your Adobe Flash, Shockwave, Reader and Java, plus make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed. You can download something like Secunia PSI to search your system for software that needs to be updated to help as well. Lastly, make sure you have AV of some sort installed. If you don't want to pay for it, there are free versions of Avast, Panda or others that should work just fine for you. Good luck!

Dude, if you had to go through that much song and dance to make a pistol run right, would you stick with the platform?

Top Bottom