• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think it's cute how some people apparently think that they can prepare for any possible​ situation.

Sort of like running from a bear...you only need to be more prepared than your competition. Now, you can't be prepared for everything until you built Hard John Apples Nuclear Hit Parade. (Now that's a really old graphic novel...cold war old!)

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Well, if caught unprepared, any weapon may as well be on Mars. With that said, I heard a saying some time ago which goes thus: "Everyone gets firsts before they get seconds." If one must fire, then take out the most imminent threat. The others may think, and possibly flee. They also may not. Be prepared, be vigilant.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well, if caught unprepared, any weapon may as well be on Mars. With that said, I heard a saying some time ago which goes thus: "Everyone gets firsts before they get seconds." If one must fire, then take out the most imminent threat. The others may think, and possibly flee. They also may not. Be prepared, be vigilant.
    I believe that is what Massad Aynoob calls boarding house rules. Everyone gets firsts before anyone gets seconds.

Last edited:

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Mossberg 590A1 for me when it comes to home defense. Toss on the bandoleer and we're good for anything from annoying kids to hordes of zombies. I like having my EDC on me, but if I can choose a gun to use for an indoor fight, it's going to be something that I can hit or stab someone with too. Home invasion may not be a lethal force scenario. Maybe the person (people) is just drunk or lost or freaking crazy.

A buddy of mine replied, when an annoying in-law asked why he carried a gun in his own home, "Do you know where 100% of home invasions happen? IN THE HOME!!!"

As far as fighting a group, I've always been told, "Hit the biggest one first and the loudest one next."

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Why does everyone assume they'll be able to get to their gear? 6-7 guys, they're organized and they knew the family habits. I highly doubt they all came through the front door. If they did then they probably came in fast. Depending on floor plan, if you take off for the battle rattle they're gonna start laying waste to your family and sending some to you as well. If you do get to your gear on one piece, What then? They proved they are willing to take hostages. They wouldn't have just ran. You had better have some plates and first aid to go with all that ammo. You wanna have a shootout with 6-7 guys by yourself? Hopefully you're answer is no. Are you just going to run and leave your family behind? NO! What other options are there? Comply and pray the right timing comes your way. This is a choice between bad bad and worse. Personally, I would've more than likely made the bad choice of getting as many as I could before the lights went out.

As for all the fighting quotes. Gun fights and fist fights are very different. Boarding house rules apply but as for the"hit the leader or the loud one" It doesn't matter. When they see their teammate laying on the floor bleeding out/trying to crawl away/screaming/ applying first aid/ dead. They're either going to get angry or get out.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Don't have to, I lock my doors and turn on the outside lights.

I live in a house that few people know is there on a lane thats a quarter of a mile long and drops over a rise such that the roof isn't visible from the front half of the lane. This is one of the things I ponder over. The house has flood lights and lights in the yard about 50 feet out, front and rear such that if I light them up, There really aren't any shadows to hide in.

However, I go back and forth on whether lighting up the house shows an isolated target in the distance that otherwise would go un noticed or keeping it as dark as possible to avoid being even discovered.

I know that if someone cases the house and the lane, then I am not really hidden, but I also wonder if i am not better off opting to stay dark and light up everything via remote if suspicious activity is afoot. I have chosen the latter option, staying in the dark, but I have no idea, other than mulling it over in my mind.

I have also been told by the local law enforcement they didn't know my house existed and that remote houses tend to be less attractive because the long ingress makes for a long egress in case of trouble. Is there any thoughts on that tidbit?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Had a conversation a couple years back at the range at Willow Slough with the guy shooting at the bench next to me. He caught my attention because he was wearing a shoulder rig and a belt holster and he had two spare mags in a carrier on his belt and two more spare mags in a carrier on the shoulder rig. So I asked him if he normally wears that much gear and ammo. He told me he was a Hammond cop and that "you can never have enough ammo for those punks". His exact words, I will never forget the look on his face, dead serious, no humor intended at all. Being that he was from Hammond, can't say that I blame him.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I live in a house that few people know is there on a lane thats a quarter of a mile long and drops over a rise such that the roof isn't visible from the front half of the lane. This is one of the things I ponder over. The house has flood lights and lights in the yard about 50 feet out, front and rear such that if I light them up, There really aren't any shadows to hide in.

However, I go back and forth on whether lighting up the house shows an isolated target in the distance that otherwise would go un noticed or keeping it as dark as possible to avoid being even discovered.

I know that if someone cases the house and the lane, then I am not really hidden, but I also wonder if i am not better off opting to stay dark and light up everything via remote if suspicious activity is afoot. I have chosen the latter option, staying in the dark, but I have no idea, other than mulling it over in my mind.

I have also been told by the local law enforcement they didn't know my house existed and that remote houses tend to be less attractive because the long ingress makes for a long egress in case of trouble. Is there any thoughts on that tidbit?

Just a thought, If I lived where you do, I would Have each light on a motion detector, have them tied together to activate all at once and ring a bell in the house. I might also place an electric eye maybe twenty feet from the road to alert me to visitors.

TubThumper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Westfield
    A buddy of mine replied, when an annoying in-law asked why he carried a gun in his own home, "Do you know where 100% of home invasions happen? IN THE HOME!!!"

As far as fighting a group, I've always been told, "Hit the biggest one first and the loudest one next."

Biggest smile on my face all day after reading these two sentences! Seriously, love it!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom