Do you carry an extra mag? Hi-cap or no?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry a spare mag? Hi-cap or no?

• Total voters

Spyke05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My edc is 46 in 40S&W and 12 in 380 so yes back up mags and no I do not have bulky mags all over i have learned easy and effective ways to carry them.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I said carry, because I do sometimes depending where I go. 12+1 plus 0-2 14's to follow. That can be up to 41 .45ACP HPs. Come at me, bro.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I carry a g27 with the standard 9 rnd mags. I just throw a spare mag in my pocket anytime i leave the house. Even if i don't think i need it, its so small and light i just find no reason not to have it with me. You can never be too sure.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Good luck clearing a double feed without a spare mag.

Chances are my 8+1 are enough for self defense... however if for some reason I get a double feed after my first shot and the person I shot (or shot at) doesn't decide to fall down or run away, I need a way to stay in the fight.

Funny story:

I went to a reelection kick-off party for my sheriff. I didn't know there would be shooting at this event. Turns out they had a shooting competition. Luckily I had a box of practice ammo in my trunk. Unfortunately I was not carrying a spare mag. When asked where my spare mag was, I responded that I didn't know there was going to be shooting... I definitely got "the look". I don't remember, but I think he made some smart *$$ comment about obviously not needing a gun either. I was pretty embarrassed.

I always carry 2 mags now.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    1911 with 8+1, spare mag in my back pocket with 8 more rounds.
    Normally it is Critical Defense, but the Z-Max has found its way into both mags.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Usually, I carry 17+1 in my M&P 9, along with 17 in a spare mag carried IWB. If I'm going to be out and about all day, I might carry two spare mags. I carry Speer Gold Dot +P.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I guess it depends on where you spend your day, but for me the odds of ever needing more than the 7+1 in my compact 1911 are small enough that I don't lose any sleep over it. The argument can always be made in the name of preparation for more, but eventually you have to draw a line somewhere.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I guess it depends on where you spend your day, but for me the odds of ever needing more than the 7+1 in my compact 1911 are small enough that I don't lose any sleep over it. The argument can always be made in the name of preparation for more, but eventually you have to draw a line somewhere.

True, but I'm going to throw this out there. Are you able to hit targets; on the move, out of normal shooting position, while being charged, and possibly shot at yourself? Remember with attacks they like to come in groups and 8 rounds for 3 people is pushing it. You can carry however you like but this is something I notice with a lot of people I talk to. And please don't split locations into a "safe" and "dangerous" category.

PAPASHOT357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    NWI
    I always have 7+1 in my Ultra CDPII in my waistband Comptac MTAC as well as 2 spare 7 rounders on my ankle. Never know when mag might fail or who knows what else.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I mostly carry at least one sometimes 2 spare magazines. It all depends on what firearm I'm carrying, where I'm going and what I'm doing.

For example if I'm carrying my solo (6+1) I always carry 2 additional magazines. My SR9c (10+1) I'll usually carry 1 full size magazine as well (17). If I'm just running to the gas station with say my G23C I probably do not carry a spare magazine.

doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    This kind of thread is why I love INGO and this site! Until reading this thread I really have never considered carrying an extra magazine on me. I don't go anywhere w/o my trusty EDC and I do practice shooting it a lot, I've just always felt confident in my ability to hit what I am aiming at and figured 6 rounds plus one always in the pipe would be sufficient.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I usually carry a BUG.

My EDC is a G27. If I only have my Glock with me then yes, I carry a spare G23 mag. 95% of the time though I have a second gun with me instead.

My reason isn't that I think I will need that much ammo (it is nice to have it just in case!), but most semiauto malfunctions are magazine related so I like to have a backup.

Top Bottom