• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    1. If I'm holding the empty gun in my hand with the slide closed and the hammer uncocked, a full stroke of the trigger will activate the hammer in DAO mode.

Not to start another pissing match. But this would be Double-Action mode, not DAO (Double-Action Only).

The way it sounds, your gun is DA/SA (Functions in both Double-Action and Single-Action mode) and not DAO (Only functions in Double-Action).

:twocents:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    <snip> In my experience, DAO means your trigger sets your hammer on every shot, as in revolvers, or you don't have the opportunity to set the hammer, as in the shrouded hammered pistols (when I dry fire the PF9, the hammer falls, and I have to rack the slide again to set it).

<snip> DAO pistols are designed to be carried with 1 in the tube, cocked, and ready to rock. If you aren't comfortable carrying that way, than drop the hammer <snip>.

I truly apologize for the thread jack, but this is just adding to the confusion here.

Those two sentences contradict each other.
    Plainly laid out, a DAO firearm is not able to be carried "cocked", as you mentioned in your first paragraph. Perhaps the second was a typo or something, but you are not able to drop the hammer on a live round, other than firing the weapon, in a DAO firearm.

In the most simple terms:
    Double Action - One trigger pull, two actions - Hammer comes back (Cocks) and hammer falls.
    Single Action - One trigger pull, one action - Hammer falls.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    I do of coarse I am guilty of not carrying a spare mag, so what is in the pistol is usually all i have.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    DA auto won't fire if it's empty, no matter how many times you pull the trigger. Gots to have one in the pipe. All DA does in an auto is let you fire from hammer down. Revolver is different.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    As already stated, kind of hard to seat a full magazine into my G19 when a round in already chambered. Carry a spare magazine everywhere.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    As already stated, kind of hard to seat a full magazine into my G19 when a round in already chambered. Carry a spare magazine everywhere.

How can it possibly make a difference whether there is a round in the chamber, when you're seating a full magazine? Is there some Glock magic that is invoked by a full chamber? Not challenging, only curious.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As already stated, kind of hard to seat a full magazine into my G19 when a round in already chambered.

Some guns can be like that, but keep in mind we are talking about seating that magazine while you are loading up initially-- not while under fire or stress. You have all the time in the world to give it that extra push to get it clicked into place.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    In the most simple terms:
    Double Action - One trigger pull, two actions - Hammer comes back (Cocks) and hammer falls.
    Single Action - One trigger pull, one action - Hammer falls.[/QUOTE]

This is clearly what I meant to say. Lol.

Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Depends on how tight the mag is. I don't like jamming so if it fits nice, OK. If it's jammed in I let it go after sending one home. I like to give the spring a little break but only if I feel it is under unnecessary stress.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If the machine can take one more cartridge it is not full. It does not matter if it is in the chamber, cylinder or magazine, I fill it all the way up. I fill my car all the way up also.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    In regards to magazine capacity do you +1? In that I mean, with an 8 round magazine do you fully load it, chamber a round, then drop the mag and put one more in? Hence...fully loaded mag with one in the pipe? Is it less stress on the magazine if you don't do that? Or does it matter?
    No. One of my handguns will not funtion right if I do that. I just load up the magazine, chamber a round, and go with it. I do carry a spare magazine though.

Top Bottom