Do We Really Need Umpteen Dozen Magazines?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    So, like the post says, do we really need all these magazines?

I go to the range, I have an AK and 5 30 round mags. I take care of them and they aren't going into battle, so I think they'll be OK for a number of years. I'm not seeing a need for more. I shoot a couple of mags, take a break and shoot some more soon thereafter.

I have numerous Glock and Sig mags for my Glock and Sig guns...I have more .45 single stack for my Kimber than I have for my Glock and Sigs simply because I've gotten a great deal on extra mags and loading 8 rounds over and over is a pain in the dupa.

With this new approaching "AWB" and the threat of losing out on the availability of purchasing them, we are seeing a buying frenzy.

Like the hard to get toys at Christmas and the post 9/11 anthrax scare, are we just unnecessarily hoarding because we have this built in instinct to have what we cannot get?

What say you, INGO-ers?

Spinaltapls1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Avon, IN
    You can never have to many. Lets say those 5 mags last your life but what about your kids life. I have a couple 100 r mags. And at least 10 for every handgun. Semi autos do not work very good without mags.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I have a sig P238 that only holds 6 rounds in a mag and I ony have one magizine for it. I just refuse to buy $50 for a second one. If I go the the range I just have to reload my 1 mag more often, oh well.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    So you think we don't need them for rifles but it's ok for you to need them for your pistols?

I need them because I want them.
    I need them because it's human nature to stockpile things.
    I need them because they most likely won't ever be much cheaper than right now.
    I need them in case someday I can't get them.

I always buy multiple mags when I get another gun.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I have a sig P238 that only holds 6 rounds in a mag and I ony have one magizine for it. I just refuse to buy $50 for a second one. If I go the the range I just have to reload my 1 mag more often, oh well.

That's really kinda understandable to me. I don't see a point in having many mags for a BUG or small CC gun. I do think you should get at least one extra though in case yours breaks/malfunctions.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Well, I seesawed and decided to buy extra mags for my G26 (2's) when I saw them flying off the shelves and even online. Maybe I'm panciking too, but I didn't bother getting any more for my Mini14. I'd just rather sit for 10 minutes loading several between rounds than stopping ever 12-24 shots to reload.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Magazines are consumables. If you train (and you should be) with your guns then you will consume magazines. And as with any consumable, I'd like to have some in reserve.

Show me a guy with 2 pristine magazines and I'll show you a "collector".

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    That's really kinda understandable to me. I don't see a point in having many mags for a BUG or small CC gun. I do think you should get at least one extra though in case yours breaks/malfunctions.

Yeah, maybe I will take some Christmas cash and get a backup magazine.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I only have 12 pmags for my recently acquired AR15 and I'm looking for more. Given that they are possibly going to ban all "high capacity" magazines, including pistol, I figured I better get some 17 round M&P mags to use with my 9c so I ordered a couple of those.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I only have 7 mags for the Springer. I'd like about 8 more. I'd like another couple for the Taurus too, but they're a bit pricy.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Like the hard to get toys at Christmas and the post 9/11 anthrax scare, are we just unnecessarily hoarding because we have this built in instinct to have what we cannot get?

Nope. I only had 1 20rd mag for my M1A, I have been meaning to get more so I found and bought 2 more. Seeing that it's Christmas and the fact they're $50 ea., that's all I could afford to pick up right now.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I had seven 13 round compact mags for my two 9mm XDm compacts. I just ordered two more. I also ordered one more 19 rounder to go with my existing 5 for my full size XDm 9mm. I like having plenty of mags. I tend to shoot about 150 rounds per range visit. I prefer to pre-load them the night before.

Oddly I NEVER carry extra loaded mags for defense though.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Need, probably not

No more than I need anyone to question what I purchase with money I earn.
    I will buy as many of anything I wish and can afford. If this seems to be wrong to you, please contact me so I can tell you how much food you may have or what size house you may buy.

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I swore after the last ban in 94 that I would never let myself be short on mags. I stocked up right after the ban was lifted. This madness is only going to get worse.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So you think we don't need them for rifles but it's ok for you to need them for your pistols?

I need them because I want them.
    I need them because it's human nature to stockpile things.
    I need them because they most likely won't ever be much cheaper than right now.
    I need them in case someday I can't get them.

I always buy multiple mags when I get another gun.

This seems to be the case at a lot of places right now.

Top Bottom