Do we have to fight our Republican leaders in choosing Evan Bayh's challenger?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    According to the link I will post at the bottom, Dan Coats will enter the GOP primary race that will narrow down the challenger to Evan Bayh.

With three good, very conservative candidates already in the ring, this latest move by the NRSC really ticks me off. Haven't heard about the National Republican Senatorial Committee? This committee is tasked with recruiting "viable" candidates to run against Democratic opponents in various Senate races. Examples specific to Bayh's race are Mike Pence, Todd Rotika, and now Dan Coats.

With the Tea Party movement having more and more power and influence in various races(NY-23, Virginia, New Jersey, and Massachussetts), I wonder if the NSRC fears a true conservative getting into Evan Bayh's seat especially if the committee is populated with men who are as liberal as Senator Lugar. Why else would they be meddling around in a race that already has three good candidates running? If you are going to use the argument about star power and fundraising ability, the four races I have just mentioned prove that it may be a moot point this year.

Wether you agree with my viewpoint or not, I think the NSRC's fear of the current crop of Tea Party-backed candidates is something to consider because why else would the they recruit a retired Senator, registered Washington, D.C. lobbyist, who is a non-resident of Indiana on the basis of star power and fundraising ability!!!! I am referring to Dan Coats who is expected to announce his candidacy in the GOP primary today.

Right now I am feeling angry at the Ruplican leadership for feeling they have the right to make an end run around me and my ability to choose the candidates that best represent me.

What is everyone's opinion of Dan Coats? How does he stack up as a conservative against Hostettler, Stutzman, or Behney? Here is the link to my source: The Fix - Former Sen. Dan Coats to challenge Evan Bayh in Indiana

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I would not support Coats. He voted in favor of the 1994 Assault Weapons ban (saying Lugar talked him into it). I took that as a good argument why neither he nor Lugar should be in the Senate.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    They choose candidates for the Primaries. Just make sure you vote and encourage others to vote in the primary to make sure the candidate you want ends up on the ballot in Nov.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Well...we won't have to worry about Pence... He's sticking to the House for the time being. (Perhaps to try for Governor????)

So it's going to be between Coats and Rokita.

Either of them would be a welcomed change from Bayh.

-J-

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I believe Mike Pence has CONFIRMED that he will NOT be running for the Senate seat. As far as I am concerned that is good news. Congressman Pence is NEEDED in the House and provides a good conservative voice, which is needed. Better yet, when Lugar is ready to retire (hopefully SOONER than later) that will allow Mike Pence to run for that seat, with the endorsement of Lugar.

So that leaves Dan Coats and Todd Rokita as the 2 major players from within the party establishment. There is also outsider Richard Benke (sp?) who is running for Evan Bayh's seat as a Republican but he doesn't seem to have national party support.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I would not support Coats. He voted in favor of the 1994 Assault Weapons ban (saying Lugar talked him into it). I took that as a good argument why neither he nor Lugar should be in the Senate.

Talked into supporting it???? LOL This makes it hard for me to support him in light of the other candidates already running.

There is also outsider Richard Benke (sp?) who is running for Evan Bayh's seat as a Republican but he doesn't seem to have national party support.

I think you mean Richard Behney.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The problem is we have 3 people running who are similar on Issues and 1 (Coats) who is more liberal than the others. In those kind of multi races, it's usually the most dissimilar person who wins. The Helmke-Price-Rusthoven primary is a prime example.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

It is hard to believe this clown. He's running for office and he says, "Don't hold my voting record against me. I voted for some dumb stuff, but only when someone talked me in to it."

OK, so we're supposed to elect a Senator who promises not to vote for dumb bills on his own volition, but admits he can easily be talked in to voting for dumb bills?

HowardRoark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Say NO to Dan Coats

I saw this on frugalhoosiers.com:

Why NOT Dan Coats?

- Resident of VIRGINIA - Hasn't been a Hoosier for over 10 years!
    - NRSC handpicking is wrong - let HOOSIERS decide
    - Another OLD white anglo
    - Resident of the Beltway Establishment
    - Harriet Miers
    - Lobbyist
    - Career Politician
    - RETREAD
    - Why pick an 11th hour candidate, who had to be TALKED INTO running when we had qualified grassroots candidates before?
    Can anyone confirm? I really hate that the NRSC thinks they can pick our candidates for us.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    I heard this on the radio today and was very disappointed. The last thing we need is another Washington insider, whose voting record shows a lack of principle.

My prediction is that he will probably win the primary on name recognition alone.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I saw this on frugalhoosiers.com:
    Why NOT Dan Coats?

- Resident of VIRGINIA - Hasn't been a Hoosier for over 10 years!
    - NRSC handpicking is wrong - let HOOSIERS decide
    - Another OLD white anglo
    - Resident of the Beltway Establishment
    - Harriet Miers
    - Lobbyist
    - Career Politician
    - RETREAD
    - Why pick an 11th hour candidate, who had to be TALKED INTO running when we had qualified grassroots candidates before?
    Can anyone confirm? I really hate that the NRSC thinks they can pick our candidates for us.

Confirm what?

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    All opinions in this thread are of equal value, and are . . . . .

. . .worth exactly what you paid to see them. None of them will convince anyone else, and just "anger the pig." Go find your local Tea Party and GET HEARD. MAKE YOURSELF HEARD ! ! before making the difference is done FOR you! Pat.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    NOW is NOT the time to argue about it with the GOP.

May is the time to let them know what you think of the party picking your candidate for you. Let him in, THEN send them a message by finding a candidate that fits your values to support.

kimberfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Looks like Brandt Hershman is the leading candidate in the 4th. He's a good friend of the 2nd amendment. I've seen him at the Lafayette Friends of the NRA banquet for years.

In the primary, anybody but Rokita. Toddler Rocket is an inside the beltway type and not our friend.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Typical political BS at its finest. The Republicans didn't get Pence to run against Bayh so they went after some name recognition in Coats to run against him. Honestly, bringing Coats in may help the Republican candidates that are not all that popular. If one of them beat Coats then they will be recognized as the man who BEAT the former great Dan Coats. It is still political BS but may be a smart move in the end.

Top Bottom