• ...and so much more!
  • dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Guys, just two little points:

1. If you use whatever in a justifiable shooting, the last thing you are going to be concerned about is your firearm.

2. If you use whatever in a non-justifiable shooting, the last thing you are going to be concerned about is your firearm.

Personally, if the door gets kicked in and it is "go time" to protect my family, I am going to grab the best tool for the job and all other considerations will happen later.

:thumbsup::rockwoot:VERY well put sir

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    When someone dies as a result of a felony act he judge can order it destroyed. If someone commits suicide with it the family can have it destroyed. Using it to protect oneself and the pert dies as a result is not the case and they will not destroy it.

I have had to take guns to the city garage that the judge ordered destroyed. As mentioned, a cutting torch was taken to them. I had to sign off as well as the man on the torch that they were destroyed. These guns were guns that would have been unsafe to sell to the public and the destruction of the arms mentioned was for that reason. Another instance was the parent of a young man who used a revolver to shoot himself. The dad requested it be destroyed.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Bottom line...

If you are cleared of any wrong doing.. you will get your firearm back.

If you commit a crime and you plead guilty or are found guilty by the judge or jury.. your firearm will be destroyed or used by the police if they want.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Does anyone know how long Indiana/the city of Anderson can keep can keep a firearm that was used in a misdemeanor and the guy was NEVER charged with anything. he bonded out and all was done. I wanna get my old pistola back. Moral here is never loan them out. My IMPD buddy told me it was two years.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    No set time I've ever heard of.

You'll likely need a lawyer. You should have been issued a receipt.

Josh <><

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Does anyone know how long Indiana/the city of Anderson can keep can keep a firearm that was used in a misdemeanor and the guy was NEVER charged with anything.

At least you aren't dealing with Muncie's legal system. If you have read about the dealings going on there over the last decade or so, a person might never get their firearm returned.

I had a b-i-l commit suicide with another family member's pistol. The police held it for evidence until their investigations were concluded, and then told the family that they were going to hold it "indefinitely" because there was a lot of animosity between members of my wife's family (her brother that killed himself) and my dead b-i-l's ex-wife's family. The cops said they just wanted to make sure that no one took possession of the weapon and then decided to take matters into their own hands.

The saddest part of the whole ordeal, outside of losing my b-i-l, was that I had a conversation with one of the investigating cops about what position the body was found in, where the gun was located, how many spent casings were found, etc. The cop told me that the gun was fired once, dropped onto the ground, the magazine ejected itself from the firearm and the remaining 6 bullets in the magazine "popped out" into a cluster near the magazine. I questioned the Chief of Police about it (I'm being polite here) and his reply was, "He's a fu****g idiot. Don't listen to him."

That left us very uncomfortable with the investigation, but after the autopsy and getting the State Police involved, it was ruled a suicide in the end as the "spontaneously ejecting clip and bullets" was completely untrue. The cop that said that mysteriously resigned and took a job elsewhere.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    You'll likely need a lawyer. You should have been issued a receipt.

It's a good idea to get a lawyer, but not necessary. And here in Marion County when a "criminal" is arrested... the police do not issue receipts for property like a firearm.

Your receipt is they have it with your name, case number and all that other jazz in their property room until you are either cleared or not.

IMPD firearms division has specific documents you have to fill out to get your firearm back... of course that is up to the presiding judge if you do or don't get your firearm back.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Guys, just two little points:

1. If you use whatever in a justifiable shooting, the last thing you are going to be concerned about is your firearm.

2. If you use whatever in a non-justifiable shooting, the last thing you are going to be concerned about is your firearm.

Personally, if the door gets kicked in and it is "go time" to protect my family, I am going to grab the best tool for the job and all other considerations will happen later.

Very good point. That's what I needed.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I was recently told by a friend that if you have to use your handgun for personal defense the police will automatically melt you gun down. Is this true? I understand that there needs to be an investigation, but destroying the weapon no matter what seems excessive. I'm about to buy a new CCW and if this is true I would rather buy in the $500-$600 range then drop a thousand plus on a handgun and loose it if I ever have to use it.

We did, we put them in the same fire pit that we used to get confessions out of jaywalkers and people that had a taillight out on their vehicle.
    Ahh, the good old days.

Thanks Annie, Reps

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Does anyone know how long Indiana/the city of Anderson can keep can keep a firearm that was used in a misdemeanor and the guy was NEVER charged with anything. he bonded out and all was done. I wanna get my old pistola back. Moral here is never loan them out. My IMPD buddy told me it was two years.

I believe that the state has two years to file charges, so they may keep it at least that long. You might write them a letter and let them know it's your gun and that way you've given the dept. notice that you want your gun back.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Actually, police only melt down guns that were used in the committing of a crime. So the only way you would get your gun melted down after a "self-defense" shooting is if it was found to be a criminal act.

Top Bottom