Do most gun shops make you "haggle" for new guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do your favorite gun shops make you haggle or not?

• Total voters

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    In my mind, the mark of a good gun shop is one that prices a gun fairly to begin with. I look at MSRP, I look at Gun Broker, and then I call 5-10 shops to see what prices they are offering. Takes all of 30 minutes to do this.

I think one of the best gun shops I've dealt with from an inventory/knowledge/price standpoint is Plainfield Shooting Supply. The only complaint I have is their ammo prices are higher than I like to pay, but then again, who but Wal-Mart has cheap ammo now-a-days?

Agreed... and most of my gun purchases go to PSS, and most of my local accessory purchases go to Bradis for just those reasons.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm a haggling convert... DoggyMama got me into going to garage sales, and at first I would always just pay what they were asking for stuff (which most of the time was cheap - it's a garage sale after all!) She taught me to always ask if they'll take "X" when they're asking "Y", and most times they will (within reason) or at least they'll come back with "Z". It took me awhile, but I actually enjoy the process now for the most part. :)

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    This isn't Tijuana and I don't buy garage sale guns.

I don't like to haggle for guns or anything for that matter. I don't haggle for groceries, gas, clothes, tools or anything. If I like your price I buy it, price it too high and it won't go home with me. I never really understood the attraction of haggeling.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You Know why they do that?

Eh, to me it's just a unnecessary step and an annoyance when I'm looking to buy a new gun. If I want to haggle, I'll buy a gun from a private party. I came to your store instead and expect to pay a fair price without a bunch of hassle. (If only life were that easy, right?) :):

Gunshops don't MAKE you haggle. Most gunshops upcharge the prices because nobody who comes in wants to pay full price and they feel like they've done something by talkin the shop down by $10. I'd be willing to bet the shops would rather you just came in and plunked down the cash. If you dont' want to haggle, don't. So far what you've described doesn't pass muster as true haggling in my book. Offer less than you think it's worth then wait for a counter offer. People these days don't have the patience to do it right and sometimes the G/S doesn't have the time for the offer/counter offer dance. But it's a true art form when done properly.:)

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    When you haggle you create your own sale. Why should I pay more than necessary if the only thing I have to do is ask for a discount? That's easy. If they say no I can decide if I still want the item at full price. It is fun once you get use to doing it.

Top Bottom