Do LGS have 22lr ammo to sell if you buy a 22lr gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You will never see it regularly sold at last year's rates again. Oh, sure, you'll find the occasional deal on it, but in the last six years prices have done nothing but increase exponentially. Six years ago, a bulk pack was $9. Then it was $12. Then $14. Then $19. Then $22. Now, it's closer to $50. No retailer would sell it at $9 when he can sell it at $50.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Exactly. I would rather pay $30/box for bulk pack .22, and know that when I go to the store to buy it that I will find it, than not be able to find it at all, and the price be $20/box.
    Reasonable prices dont do any good if the product isnt on the shelf, but if it comes to paying crazy prices for something, I would rather just go without, or find an alternative. When I can buy bulk handgun ammo for the same(or less than) .22, I will sit on the .22 I have on hand, and shoot the handgun calibers.

EXactly!!!!!!! i have a some .22 stocked up but not enough t consider it a stockpile. its easier and most times cheaper to just sit on it and shoot my 9mm. but once again if people are stupid enough to pay 50$ a box then nothing will change. Its not crack people, if you dnt get to shoot .22 for a bit because prices are crazy you will survive…. but people who are going through withdrawal will pay 150$ for 3 boxes on the classifieds. Once again nothing i can do about it

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    You will never see it regularly sold at last year's rates again. Oh, sure, you'll find the occasional deal on it, but in the last six years prices have done nothing but increase exponentially. Six years ago, a bulk pack was $9. Then it was $12. Then $14. Then $19. Then $22. Now, it's closer to $50. No retailer would sell it at $9 when he can sell it at $50.

that goes back to what i said earlier if people will pay 50 why sell it for 30….. your right about that

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    from what i have seen, the big box stores sell all ammo as it comes in. they do not keep boxes back for those who purchase new guns. i am not sure about all the local guns stores but i know the one i deal with always keeps some ammo behnd the counter for those people who buy new guns, including 22s. all you can do is ask or even explain to them you want to buy a new 22 and the next time they get some ammo in, hold some back and you will buy the gun and ammo.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    So I take it you aren't interested in the mother load of federal bulk pack listed here?....10 count'em ten for just $450 or 5 for $250

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    OP, all you can do is keep asking the LGS you visit until you hopefully find the package deal you're looking for. I hope you find something that works for you and your grandkids.

:+1: Sadly, we are just seeing the new normal settling in for what will still be the cheapest plinking option by a several cents/round. Some of these classified "gougers" don't seem so gougy after you factor in the repeated cost of burning a gallon or two of fuel and the value of one's time to drive to the local Dunham's, etc. in hopes of beating all of the sharks who always seem to arrive just as the weekly shipment hits the shelves. Most of these gougers are less expensive (by as much as half) than the LGS I've visited that actually have any 22lr in stock. According to https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing-winchester.html?highlight=Winchester+22lr , this seller's market won't go away any time soon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To answer the OPs question, yes most places will have some ammo set aside to sell you with the new gun. Now finding out which ones will be the trick. I think GM generally does.

As for how many rounds will you need? If the grandkids are new shooters, I would suggest starting them off by loading just one round at a time. It's safer, less intimidating, and will help to conserve ammo.

Yes, GM indeed does, and they will not limit it to your caliber gun. I bought an OU 12 ga during the height of the panic and walked out with two bricks of CCIs for a reasonable price.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    We have a small supply of 22 that we have reserved for the amount of 22LR firearms in inventory. When a shipment comes in that exceeds what we need on hand for firearms we sell it off.

Right now we are giving away 50 rounds with a 22LR firearm purchase!

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    Having worked for one of your dreaded big box stores, I think I can offer a candid perspective on the whole .22 situation. Firstly, I've never seen as much .22 ammo as I have in recent months. However, after years of record gun sales there are certainly more shooters among us which isn't a bad thing. It's highly probable that the three biggest ammo retailers in my area sell more .22 LR in a week than this geographic area will shoot in months. Now while the CEO's of the ammo manufacturers and retailers post ever increasing numbers, the relatively low priced .22 LR that is being retailed isn't going directly to avid shooters, or being used to help the grandchildren further their marksmanship skills. It has instead become a traded commodity. For many months, their could be 30-130 people willing to wait outside my part time place of employment for hours before we open on ammo day. The vast majority will buy the maximum amount of .22 they can which is usually 10 bulk packs or 5000 rds on average. Now I shoot a lot but I don't think I sent 5000 rds. of .22 LR down range last year. Still, I support your right to buy 5000 rds at a time especially if you're willing to wait in line for hours in the cold. What I don't like to see, is the same core group of old farts that do it every single week. I see them selling it at gun shows at outrageously inflated prices, and whatever .22 packages were available that day always show up later on facebook and armslist. I have friends at other retailers, and they see the same group doing the same thing each week at their stores as well. I've heard them brag about turning $1000 worth of .22 into $5000 and most of them won't shoot a bit of it. They wipeout the supply early in the day while the rest of you who have to work for a living cannot afford to stand in the ammo line. Meanwhile, those of us who have to greet the customers the rest of the week have to endure all types of conspiracy theories about why nobody has any .22 ammo. The reason you cannot find .22 on the shelves is because it has become this nation's most popular tax free social security supplement! Some of these greedy ass munches will go out to the truck and switch coats and hats and attempt to wait in line again. While we do keep a percentage of each shipment for gun purchasers, it usually doesn't last long and I'm sure you can figure out how that system can be abused for something other than what it was intended. No matter what policy retailers implement I'm sure it isn't going to please everyone. However, if everybody would quit paying these ammo gougers I think the .22 might just stay on the shelves for a little longer. Otherwise the retailers might quadruple the price since the market seems to support it and the profits will offset the cost of your entire workforce always answering the all to common question, "Do you have any .22 ammo?"

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    GM holds ammo back for people buying new firearms.

I'm also starting to see 550 packs at WM for 24.97

Don't know why anybody would pay 50/box!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    GM holds ammo back for people buying new firearms.

I'm also starting to see 550 packs at WM for 24.97

Don't know why anybody would pay 50/box!

I paid $44 for a brick of Aguila Sniper Subsonics and $47 for a brick of Federal Gold Medal. And that was a good price on the Aguila

Not all 22 is created equal

And just because your local wally world hell is seeing 22, doesn't mean they all are. Also doesn't mean that everyone shops at walmart

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I paid $44 for a brick of Aguila Sniper Subsonics and $47 for a brick of Federal Gold Medal. And that was a good price on the Aguila

Not all 22 is created equal

And just because your local wally world hell is seeing 22, doesn't mean they all are. Also doesn't mean that everyone shops at walmart

indeed. If you want Good 22 ammo it's readily available. And you can't compare crappy bulk pack ammo, To quality Eley, RWS, Lapua etc ( no not Wolf match Target lol) $12-$20 a box of 50 rds has been the standard for a long time. Eley Tenex has floated around $20 a box for the last 10 years anyway. That being said. As long as people are willing to pay $50 a bulk pack, there will be opportunists that will flip it with glee. Doubling there money each time. If you really Need it. Buy what you must. Otherwise the 4000 rounds you have at home will probably last you a while..But we all know humans are funny. We're told something is hard to get or a precious commodity and we want it and are willing to pay more for it, by nature. Marketing 101.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    I have no first hand experience, but I have heard that Gander Mountain keeps some in back for people that buy a gun. I don't know how many rounds they allow you to purchase either.

I can confirm this. When I bought my wife's 22 last week and the one for my daughter, they offered me ammo with purchase, right after they had told someone they're out. Say what you want, but I'm glad they're doing it. I've got 1,000 plus rounds in the safe because of that!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I know that PSS has ammo for any new gun at the time of purchase. You may not be able to walk in and buy ammo but if your getting a new gun there will be ammo available for you. I imagine all LGS operate in this fashion. How can you sell a gun if don't have ammo.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Bucks & Jakes in Boonville and on the West side of Evansville has .22lr high velocity for $4.95/50, limit 2 per family per day. The West side store had 22 cases 3 weeks ago and is down to maybe 5 now. People keep coming in and buying their two boxes per day.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    My LGS has ammo but its WAY more than Im willing to pay. I buy nearly ALL my ammo online.

Would you mind sharing this online bargain barn? You also might want to try your local Walmart , their ammo is usually price competitive
    with many online sources I've seen. If you don't mind me asking what part of the bluegrass state are you in?
    I work in KY and do much of my gun and ammo shopping there, Daviess and Hancock counties mostly.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I picked up a Ruger SR-22 from PSS just before Christmas (present for wife) and they had a 500 rd box of CCI standard velocity for $33. I asked for another so I could send my son to an Appleseed meet but was told that was the last. I figured they had more but saving it so they didn't have to sell an "ammo-less" gun.

Top Bottom