• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Let's hear INGO's thoughts on this one....

I have a Mossberg 590 as a HD gun with a Choate topfolder and a tac lite with a tape switch. Problem is, I'm just not really a pump gun lover. Lately, rather than the shotgun, I've been using my SBR as a HD gun, 11.5" barrel, tac light, EOTech, etc.

I've been considering selling the 590 and A) not replacing it, or B) replacing it with either a Mossberg 935 or an FN SLP.

What exactly would INGO do????

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

I have a Mossberg 590 as a HD gun with a Choate topfolder and a tac lite with a tape switch. Problem is, I'm just not really a pump gun lover. Lately, rather than the shotgun, I've been using my SBR as a HD gun, 11.5" barrel, tac light, EOTech, etc.

I've been considering selling the 590 and A) not replacing it, or B) replacing it with either a Mossberg 935 or an FN SLP.

Learn to love the pump. Shotguns offer different load capabilities. I alternate a slug, buckshot, and bird shot in my 500. I know what's coming out of the pipe next, and if I need a different round, I can get it with a pump. There is something distinctive about the sound of a 12 guage racking.

SBR is nice, but doesn't offer the round selection and you run a chance of hitting your neighbor 2 doors down. You do have more rounds available, so there are pros and cons.

I choose the pump.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you are looking for alternatives, you may wish to consider:

1. A single shot shotgun. Lightweight, easy to manipulate, inexpensive and if stolen in a Burglary, you have not lost much.

I have a H&R 20 gauge with #3 buckshot. You can tape a light to it and I put on a sling (my taste).

2. A double barrel from Stoeger. Rubber band a light to it.

See if this flips any switches:

YouTube - Defensive Shotgun

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Definately a shotgun is my first choice.

You get several projectiles at once from 00 buck and no where near the over penetration concerns as in say a 223.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    you should WANT a shotgun for home defense, then you will NEED it. EXAMPLE: I not only want to pose seductively on my futon with my bad-ass guitars, guns and ninja weapons, I NEED to. I used to be shy, but i can't keep all this from the world. Shotguns are the most awesome/versatile weapons ever. I think everyone needs one for home defense as there is no weapon more devastating with such a low chance of over-penetration. Perhaps it's the shotgun itself that you have issues with. Maybe a semi auto would be more your flavor.
    YouTube - SMM3G Saiga

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Shotguns are great tools for HD. Lots of power, not as much danger of overpenetration, and very devastating to their targets. Keeping some sort of shotgun around for HD is a good idea. The one of mine that's my HD gun, is currently serving that purpose at a friend's house, he's buying it off of me to hunt with as well. So if you really decide you want something different, you can always give that one to me ;)

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

Not a thing wrong with a semi-auto. I have a 12 ga SxS but my wife is not comfortable with it. I just got a 9mm carbine and I think that might be the best choice for her. I do believe that a shotgun is the easiest gun to become proficient with, but nothing is one size fits all.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Personally I'd rather have an inexpensive pump shotgun sitting in an evidence locker than an expensive SBR'd AR w/eotech.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    The purpose of an HD shotgun is just that...home defense. You may not have to use deadly force to DEFEND you home if the BG hears that magical sound of a 12 ga being "racked". Most of them know what that sound means and have no desire to test the waters. The few that are dumb enough or stupid enough or high enough to push that envelope have no concern about you or yours and the lack of consideration should be returned in mass. A 12 ga pump takes out the guesswork of aiming in close quarters. Be sure of your target, point and shoot. And remember the words "I was afraid for my life" when the LEO shows up. With the shotgun doing it's job, there will be only 1 story in court.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I plan on using my AR15 for home defense. Once I get the light and red dot scope, it's going to replace my Glock 19.

If I HAD a Rem. 870, I would use that.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    My vote is for an 870. Just put this 870 Police together (with the help of Patti at Tactical Shotgunner.com) and love it...
    remington870policemagnu.jpg

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I too use my AR as it's the only long gun I have other than a .22lr bolt rifle.

I'm a part timer and can't afford another expensive gun purchase, and no I don't want a single shot or a SxS or pump or semi-auto tube-fed anything.

But, if I HAD the money I'd get a Saiga. Which I don't so there, and won't for quite awhile.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    use what you can shoot best. It is more the shooter than the gun. Now having said that, my preferred hd weapon is a shotgun, loaded with buckshot, no birdshot, no slugs. Its for defense of my home and buck works best at home defense ranges. I have other go-to guns for longer range stuff. If you dont like a pump get a semi auto or a double, if you want a shotgun and practice.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    use what you can shoot best. It is more the shooter than the gun. Now having said that, my preferred hd weapon is a shotgun, loaded with buckshot, no birdshot, no slugs. Its for defense of my home and buck works best at home defense ranges. I have other go-to guns for longer range stuff. If you dont like a pump get a semi auto or a double, if you want a shotgun and practice.
    I was shooting trap with my Stevens SxS yesterday. We were on a ridge overlooking a ravine and he we throwing the clays so that they took a straight line in front of us. That was a whole lot of fun, and great point and shoot practice. I even hit a couple.:D

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If you dislike the pump then look onto getting a semi auto. On my side of the bed is an 1100 holding 10+1 and on the ex's side is a HK Benelli 121M with 7+1...I really don't think anyone will be coming through the bedroom door. I like the 1100 but another good gun at a great price is a Beretta 1201FP, it is basically the same as a HK Super 90 but at a lower price.

I would hesitate to use the SBR simply because getting it back if you had to use it might prove tricky. A M1 Carbine loaded with DPX makes for a great HD long gun as well.

Top Bottom