Do confiscated firearms get returned to owners?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Sure, as long as you can provide PROOF that it was yours. They usually want the serial number from you. If you don't have it, you can SOMETIMES get it from the place of purchase. If that place is no longer in business or that particular location has closed and records have been moved, then you are usually SOL.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    In my case no effort was made by the Police station to return my gun. I had to provide proof it was mine and go to the station and pick it up, after I discovered they had it for 3 months after I filed a stolen weapons report. Really sad and horrible job by my local Police.

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    I once returned an old .38 colt to a NYPD officer who had it stolen from him back in 1961. I recovered it from a perp I arrested with a ton of burglary items. The officer was retired but I got it back to him through some other officers in his precinct. BH

Burr Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    I'd also note that we try very hard to get all property returned to victims of thefts and burglaries, especially guns. It's a big plus for everyone and good PR for our dept. I've noticed though that a number of northern agencies, mostly their admin people, take a dim view on gun ownership and may not try to get them back to the rightful owners.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Hmmmmmmmmm

In my case no effort was made by the Police station to return my gun. I had to provide proof it was mine and go to the station and pick it up, after I discovered they had it for 3 months after I filed a stolen weapons report. Really sad and horrible job by my local Police.

The gun was gone, who (obviously not you) knows where, for at least 3 months before you reported it. The police made you go in and prove it was yours in order to pick it up! And that's a "sad and horrible job" on their part? I guess I'm missing something here. :dunno:

Triton20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    I had a pistol stolen last summer that was just recovered 2 weeks ago by ISP. They didn't call me but the St. Joe Cty. Police that came out when my house was broken into called and told me that ISP had my gun and to call them if I wanted it back.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    The gun was gone, who (obviously not you) knows where, for at least 3 months before you reported it. The police made you go in and prove it was yours in order to pick it up! And that's a "sad and horrible job" on their part? I guess I'm missing something here. :dunno:

Yes. Someone stole his gun. He reported it stolen. Police recover it and do not make an effort to contact the him. He calls PD and discovers they have had his firearm for 3 months. He then goes and picks it up. Poor follow up IMO.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

I think you misread. He didn't wait 3 months to file the report, he found they had it for 3 months after he'd already filed a report...

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    So when does a recovered firearm actually become available for return to its rightful owner?

I recently received a subpoena and shortly thereafter the prosecutor called me about possibly needing me to testify on a case where one of my stolen guns was recovered. No one at IPD has contacted or advised me about the status of this gun, even though it was recovered 60 days ago. Do I have to wait until after there is a plea bargain or verdict or other resolution on the case to make a claim??

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The title of your thread states "confiscated" but your OP states "stolen". Just to clarify, these are two potentially very different things. If your weapon was confiscated from you by law enforcement, the reason for the confiscation is going to play a big role in whether it is returned.

The general discussion indicates you were actually referring to your weapon being stolen then recovered by law enforcement. As others seem to have already stated, I would imagine it would vary greatly depending on the agency or individuals involved.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    as the majority have said if it is stolen YES you can get it back. However as you might be wondering you do have to wait until the case is "closed". to receive your gun and any other stolen items. However i do believe you can start the request process anytime, this is not legal advice. However I believe that if the gun was used in commission of a crime that IMPD policy states that the gun be destroyed. NOT positive on that part ask a leo on that one.

:hijack:
    I worked at the Nucor steel mill in Crawfordsville and we melted many beautiful guns down that were used in crimes. those were always sad days at work.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I worked at the Nucor steel mill in Crawfordsville and we melted many beautiful guns down that were used in crimes. those were always sad days at work.

I bet the lunch box was heavy going home that day:whistle:

But seriously folks, I had four handguns stolen in 1994. Once a year the local PD calls to verify that they are still missing. I maintain hope of recovery.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I bet the lunch box was heavy going home that day:whistle:

I wish... No, the police depart brought them straight to the furnace and watched as every single one was melted down... They made sure. they did the same thing with drugs. I remember a pair of custom Kimber 1911's in 45 that I would have given just about anything to have get melted down.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    The title of your thread states "confiscated" but your OP states "stolen". Just to clarify, these are two potentially very different things. If your weapon was confiscated from you by law enforcement, the reason for the confiscation is going to play a big role in whether it is returned.

I may have not used the proper term, to clarify;
    I mean stolen from me, not confiscated from me.
    I mean confiscated from the criminal, not from me.

Interesting, if a gun was found, say as a murder weapon, I bet they would find the last known owner.

I do not mean to paint all LEO agencies with a broad brush, I imagine that there are some that do make an effort, others see this as a source of revenue or control. Marion County used to have gun auctions years ago, do they still?

Top Bottom