DNR Proposal for .243 and up rifle for deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Proposed but not necessarily going to pass

DNR: Rule/Regulation Changes

Allows additional rifles to be used by reducing the bullet size required to .243 and eliminating the maximum rifle cartridge case length. This will allow high-powered rifles such as the .30-30 and .45-70 during the deer firearms seasons. Full metal jacketed bullets would be unlawful because since they do not expand when fired, and therefore, do not kill as humanely.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    What we are waitng for is when the proposal is up on the NRC website for public input.

from what have seen on the past DNR proposals unless there is overwhelming opposition to the proposal it will get final adoption..

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    from what have seen on the past DNR proposals unless there is overwhelming opposition to the proposal it will get final adoption..

Yep. I've already spent around $1500 on two rifle set-ups in the last few weeks in anticipation of this passing next year. Just about every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there wants rifles for deer, so I don't see the proposal failing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yep. I've already spent around $1500 on two rifle set-ups in the last few weeks in anticipation of this passing next year. Just about every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there wants rifles for deer, so I don't see the proposal failing.

I have not spent one extra dime toward to proposed new rules, but I'm ecstatic about the possibilities.
    IF the changes go through,I'll be able to add the following to the list of choices to take afield for deer season in 2015,

DPMS LRT .308
    Browning .30-06
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 7.62x54R
    Chinese Type 53 7.62x54R
    Frankengun AR15 7.62x39
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39
    Mossberg 464 .30-30 lever
    Lithgow SMLE .303 British Enfield
    Type 99 Arisaka 7.7x58Jap
    Thompson Contender .45-70govt "Super 16"

I have plans to spend though,
    I plan to have a Henry .45-70 lever gun by the time the new rules take effect.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    If this passes, I am definitely taking my Mosin Nagant out. It is the only long gun I own that I haven't hunted with yet. I really don't need a high powered rifle where I hunt, but I think it will be fun to take the old war gun out for something other than paper punching.

Last edited:

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I'll try both the sharps 1874 in 45-70, and my Barrett M82. Both have done great on coyotes. Will have to plant soybeans in the fields around the house next
    year! I hope this becomes law and doesn't fizzle out.:cool:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I think for the first year, everyone should use a 30-30,(or any other round thats 120 yrs old[1895-2015]) for nostalgia. :)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I think for the first year, everyone should use a 30-30,(or any other round thats 120 yrs old[1895-2015]) for nostalgia. :)

I may just do that. I've been plinking with one for over 30 years, and wishing I could deer hunt with it.

A few days ago I looked at Missouri and Kentucky deer regs and noted that they have a 10 round limit for deer rifles.
    It's reasonable to assume that Indiana will do the same/similar.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Can't get into lever guns, or .30-30.
    Had one. Hated it.
    Never been a cowboy and don't listen to country music.

No, I'm no cowboy or country music fan either, but to each their own.
    On the other hand I do like a light, good handling lever gun. And the .30-30 is a good close range thumper.

Back to the magazine capacity subject, I'm curious to see how that plays out.
    I hope that people who would like to hunt with an M1A, a Hakim ect can do so.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm a cowboy wannabe. Love country music. Drive a Big @zz Truck. Wear boots and a hat when I want to be "really dressy"...and the wife lets me...

I can see me strapping on the Ruger Vaquero in 45LC, throw on the long duster, boots and hat, load up the Henry Big Boy in .44M...That just might happen this fall.

OR

I'll take my old Hawkin for one more round. .50 cal. You can't go none better.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I may just do that. I've been plinking with one for over 30 years, and wishing I could deer hunt with it.

A few days ago I looked at Missouri and Kentucky deer regs and noted that they have a 10 round limit for deer rifles.
    It's reasonable to assume that Indiana will do the same/similar.

This subject was brought up when PCRs were legalized. The DNR rejected any limitation then and I'll bet that there won't be any limitation this time either..

Top Bottom