• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's not a complaint, but more of an observation: we've got about as many of these threads going as we do Trump threads.

:laugh:

There will always be fools, so there will always be fools with guns in the field who those who are not fools feel shouldn't be there. The problem is now how to identify the fools before they get a hunting license...background check for a hunting license anyone? I didn't think so. Deal with it, it's the world, it's full of idiots be forewarned.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    DNR gets clarification on new rifle law for deer hunting - 4/5/2016 - State of Indiana

Indiana DNR clarifies what rounds are legal and its the whole kit and caboodle!!!:rockwoot:

The Department of Natural Resources has received numerous questions regarding recent legislation that legalizes certain rifles for deer hunting beginning later this year. Most questions have to do with calibers and cartridges allowed under the new law.

House Enrolled Act 1231 that was passed earlier this year by the Indiana General Assembly allows some additional rifle cartridges to be used only on private land during the firearms season.

The new legal cartridges include, but are not limited to, the .243 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 AAC Blackout, and .30-06 Springfield. Additional requirements are:

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    • The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
    • The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
    o .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
    o .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
    • No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester)
    • A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field

Rifles with pistol cartridges that have been allowed in previous years may still be used to hunt deer on both private and public land.

Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

• 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett
    • .30 Remington AR
    • .30-06 Springfield
    • .30-30 Winchester
    • .30-40 Krag
    • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    • .300 H&H Magnum
    • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    • .300 Savage
    • .300 Weatherby Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    • .308 Marlin
    • .308 Winchester
    • 7.62x39mm
    • 7.62x54mmR

There are other cartridges that meet the law’s specifications, and there are others that do not. A partial list of cartridges that are not allowed under HEA 1231 includes the .270 Winchester, .38-55 Winchester, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government.

HEA 1231 is scheduled to expire after the 2020 deer season, at which time the DNR will submit an impact report to the Governor and the General Assembly.
    Contact Information:
    Name: Phil Bloom
    Phone: (317) 232-4003
    Email: PBloom@dnr.IN.gov

Nice break down, appreciate the info!!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    DNR gets clarification on new rifle law for deer hunting - 4/5/2016 - State of Indiana
    Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following
    Contact Information:
    Name: Phil Bloom
    Phone: (317) 232-4003
    Email: PBloom@dnr.IN.gov

Due to the ambiguity of the above statement, I've emailed Mr. Bloom to ask for a clarification of their clarification.
    By this I mean, I have asked where I might find an all-inclusive list of allowed cartridges under the new regulations.

I have not heard back from Mr. Bloom as yet.
    Maybe if a few dozen more people contacted, asking the same question, someone will get a response...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Due to the ambiguity of the above statement, I've emailed Mr. Bloom to ask for a clarification of their clarification.
    By this I mean, I have asked where I might find an all-inclusive list of allowed cartridges under the new regulations.

I have not heard back from Mr. Bloom as yet.
    Maybe if a few dozen more people contacted, asking the same question, someone will get a response...

If you'll dig deeper into how they have it worded, it goes as follows:
    1) 1.16" minimum case length
    2) Either .243, .308 or (apparently, given the inclusion in the above list of the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R) a .312 diameter bullet

That means you're in like Flynn with the likes of .243 Winchester to .240 Weatherby Magnum or any wildcat with that bullet diameter, as long as it meets the minimum case length.
    You're also in luck with the .308 diameter calibers, from .300 Blackout (recommend foregoing the subsonic loads, though), through .300-378 Weatherby Magnum, again as long as you meet the case length minimum.
    And finally, you're also in luck with the smattering of calibers with the .312 bore, which includes the likes of 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54R, and (yes) the vaunted old .303 British, which will make lots of you guys out there with Enfield SMLE and the like that haven't been re-barreled very happy.

As the wording goes, the listed cartridges are allowed, but by no means are they the only ones allowed.
    After all, if you're a gifted toolmaker, you could make up a set of dies and create your propietary.300 Mgderf wildcat round using a necked down .700 Nitro Express case to launch 220 grain bullets at 4,100 fps, and you'd still be good to go.
    Have a rifle with one of the three specifically mentioned bullet diameters and a 1.16" or longer case, and you're there.
    Don't overthink this thing.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I think if one needs clarification on the clarification...... the DNR should deny them a hunting license.

Yea it is pretty straight forward. People just try to over complicate things. I like the fact how everyone acts like a shotgun is no longer useful though.....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you'll dig deeper into how they have it worded, it goes as follows:
    1) 1.16" minimum case length
    2) Either .243, .308 or (apparently, given the inclusion in the above list of the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R) a .312 diameter bullet

That means you're in like Flynn with the likes of .243 Winchester to .240 Weatherby Magnum or any wildcat with that bullet diameter, as long as it meets the minimum case length.
    You're also in luck with the .308 diameter calibers, from .300 Blackout (recommend foregoing the subsonic loads, though), through .300-378 Weatherby Magnum, again as long as you meet the case length minimum.
    And finally, you're also in luck with the smattering of calibers with the .312 bore, which includes the likes of 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54R, and (yes) the vaunted old .303 British, which will make lots of you guys out there with Enfield SMLE and the like that haven't been re-barreled very happy.

As the wording goes, the listed cartridges are allowed, but by no means are they the only ones allowed.
    After all, if you're a gifted toolmaker, you could make up a set of dies and create your propietary.300 Mgderf wildcat round using a necked down .700 Nitro Express case to launch 220 grain bullets at 4,100 fps, and you'd still be good to go.
    Have a rifle with one of the three specifically mentioned bullet diameters and a 1.16" or longer case, and you're there.
    Don't overthink this thing.

If it is indeed true about the 303, then yes that makes me very happy! I think a jungle carbine would make a great woods rifle. :)

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    So the state of Indiana in all it's wisdom legalized the .30 carbine and not the .270win for Deer Hunting... WOW!

I was thinking the same thing. How in the world can M1 carbine, 7.62x39, and a few others be legal but not the .270win when its ballistics are similar to the 30-06 and .308. Does not make any sense.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If it is indeed true about the 303, then yes that makes me very happy! I think a jungle carbine would make a great woods rifle. :)

Breathe easy.
    The list specifically includes the two Russian rounds, which share the same bullet diameter with the British round, so there's no way they can possibly say the .303 is verboten.
    Opening it up to the .312 bores is a real boon to the milsurp folks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Breathe easy.
    The list specifically includes the two Russian rounds, which share the same bullet diameter with the British round, so there's no way they can possibly say the .303 is verboten.
    Opening it up to the .312 bores is a real boon to the milsurp folks.

Well I also have a Mauser FR8 in .308 which would also be a good woods rifle, just in case. I don't even know if I'll go hunting or not, but if I get the chance, I'll be set one way or another. My biggest problem is a lack of freezer space (and DoggyMama doesn't like venison).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well I also have a Mauser FR8 in .308 which would also be a good woods rifle, just in case. I don't even know if I'll go hunting or not, but if I get the chance, I'll be set one way or another. My biggest problem is a lack of freezer space (and DoggyMama doesn't like venison).

I feel your pain for lack of freezer space.
    I'll be glad to do you a favor and store any venison you harvest in my ample chest freezer space.
    I can't guarantee there will be any left after a few months, though, as oldpinkmama does like venison. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I feel your pain for lack of freezer space.
    I'll be glad to do you a favor and store any venison you harvest in my ample chest freezer space.
    I can't guarantee there will be any left after a few months, though, as oldpinkmama does like venison. ;)

Hey, as long as I get to keep the backstraps and maybe a roast or two for making jerky, I'm good! :): DoggyMama does like venison jerky.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually if I were to hunt, this would probably be my first choice. Argentine 1909 rechambered in 30-06 and sporterized. It's a tack driver with about a 2 or 2.5 lb. trigger.

Top Bottom