DNR clarifies rifles allowed-and it's great!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Or maybe Indiana regulators should get their collective heads out of their posteriors and simply look around to neighboring states that have had successful rifle hunting for generations rather than passing inane laws that make zero sense and spending countless amounts of money and more in the future trying to clean up idiotic rules?

Looking and using other states as justification to change laws and regulations make zero sense...start doing that perhaps we should look to Illinois or Chicago as guidance on gun laws. Each state is separate and that is a good thing. Be happy with the law change if you are a rifle fan...if not don't use them (like me)...either way it is what it is.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    When this bill was introduced, it was .243" and up, but the bill was going to fail the Senate vote, so the conferees did what they had to to get it passed -- they chose five common cartridges. Somehow the final bill was written with no actual cartridge names, so the DNR had no choice but to legalize all cartridges that utilize .243" and .308" bullets.

You know I'm not personally affected nor am I necessarily a fan of inclusion, that all said I do foresee sooner rather than later it will expand to .243 and up no doubt. Barring somekind of huge idiot moments which get slammed in the media because someone was an idiot and happened to have a HPR.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    But the 7.62x39 and the x54r both CAN use bullets of a diameter larger than .308.
    Actually .310" up to .312" respectively.
    Because of this, and the comment stating, "...there are other cartridges that meet the new requirements...", I have emailed the DNR asking for further clarification.
    Basically I just asked where I could find a full, comprehensive list of ALL legal cartridges.

I have yet to hear back.

The problem with 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 is that the bore diameters vary widely with some as tight as .308 and many more tight enough to shoot .308 bullets accurately. If not corrected, this would have inevitably lead to the situation where someone who reloads .308 bullets in either cartridge would be legal while someone using factory ammo would not. The DNR was smart to proactively prevent this problem.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I look at the 7.62 x39 and 7.62 x54 stuff to be like 10mm in handgun.
    Simply special allowance.
    So quit worrying if they run larger dia bullets (or trying to use some other obscure POS that runs the same bullet).

For those whining about not being able to use gramps' old .270 (or whatever else)...........instead of b*tching about the legislators or DNR.........
    better effort IMHO would be to **** on gramps' tombstone for not buying a .30-06.

Top Bottom