• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I guess my 0.6 MOA 6.8 SPCII will have to sit this one out, sadly...

On the bright side, I guess this is probably a good time to offload my Remington 742, 30-06...

Mike

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Right... I would have preferred to see a few more "traditional" cartridges in the list myself. It simply doesn't make sense to allow the 30-30 but the 32 Special is off the table? Its just odd.

If you don't think a 30-30 is a traditional cartridge then something is wrong. Everyone here is crying wolf over the regs. Get over yourselves. This type of thinking is why indiana is so far behind the times when it comes to laws and conservation.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    .311????.....only .011 over?......57mm = 2.244" is plenty over 1.6".......very very close to a 30 06......makes no sense to to me:dunno:

The 7.62x39 uses a bullet diameter of .308-.310, and the 7.62x54r uses .311-313.
    My .303 British uses a .311-.313 projectile, so why is it not approved? For that matter, my 7.7x59Jap runs a .3105-.313 bullet, but I don't see it on the go list either.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    If you don't think a 30-30 is a traditional cartridge then something is wrong. Everyone here is crying wolf over the regs. Get over yourselves. This type of thinking is why indiana is so far behind the times when it comes to laws and conservation.

I DO believe the 30-30 is a traditional cartridge. You lost the point of my post. We were discussing the allowance of such calibers as the 300 Blackout and such INSTEAD of other more traditional rounds to go along with all the other traditional rounds.

I don't need to "get over myself" but thanks anyways. I'm in FULL support of this bill and the use of ALL these calibers. I was merely stating that it seems senseless to allow the use of the 30-30 but not other chamberings such as the 32 Special which is damn near ballistically identical.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Straight from DNR...

Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

Yeah, basically if it is .243 or .30 anything and meets the minimum length you're good. Too bad the author didn't just look up the 6 most popular deer chamberings in use and use that. At least the .270 and 7mm would've be on there then.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Hopefully you're being humorous about the 75rd drum, yes?!

Because new law/regs say "only allowed 10 rounds with you."

So you load your drum with only 10 rounds.:dunno:

When the deers see that AK/drum setup, they'll know YOU are the baddest bada$$ in the woods and just fall over dead from fear.:popcorn:

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    So you load your drum with only 10 rounds.:dunno:

When the deers see that AK/drum setup, they'll know YOU are the baddest bada$$ in the woods and just fall over dead from fear.:popcorn:

lol or he's a suckie shot and needs all them to even hit it's target...lol

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    lol or he's a suckie shot and needs all them to even hit it's target...lol

not a "suckie" shot by any means with my AK's.....just makin' a lttle fun at using 762x39 for deer huntin'.....as i said up top the 45 Colt is plenty enough for deer on my place....

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    It says your only allowed 10 rounds……what about magazine capacity? Can I have 10 rds. in a 20 rd. mag…..or do I need to buy a 10 rd. mag? Anyone know if this stated? Not opinions.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I DO believe the 30-30 is a traditional cartridge. You lost the point of my post. We were discussing the allowance of such calibers as the 300 Blackout and such INSTEAD of other more traditional rounds to go along with all the other traditional rounds.

I don't need to "get over myself" but thanks anyways. I'm in FULL support of this bill and the use of ALL these calibers. I was merely stating that it seems senseless to allow the use of the 30-30 but not other chamberings such as the 32 Special which is damn near ballistically identical.
    I just reread it and it was my mistake I read it wrong. But still I am tired of all the threads on the subject with everyone complaining. I mean why are we complaining about what they are allowing even. It's a step in the right direction. Personally I will still use my shotgun. But I do have a blackout pistol I had thought about using before this. Ballistically it is similar to the x39 but has a bad drop after 200yards or so. I could use my 30-06 or .243 etc. All stuff I already had but I always used a shotgun and like having the ability to use a rifle now.. But I don't see why people are complaining about what calibers were allowed. It's a step in the right direction at least. The Russian calibers being added were a curveball kind of but we have modern firearms made for them. People who believe it's just going to be mosins, sks's, and ak's in the woods need to realise we have modern bolt and semi auto guns in those calibers thay many people use religiously. And a rifle with 10 rounds is no different then an autoloader shotgun with 5-6 rounds.we will always have trigger happy idiots taking unethical shots. And that should not be reflected on the rest of us.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    It says your only allowed 10 rounds……what about magazine capacity? Can I have 10 rds. in a 20 rd. mag…..or do I need to buy a 10 rd. mag? Anyone know if this stated? Not opinions.

As for this I don't believe it was stated. Just that you can only have 10 rounds on you. Not 10 in your gun and 10 in your pocket. Just 10 in total.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

There is no magazine capacity limitation...period.
    The law states that you are allowed to have only ten rounds on your person.
    That could mean five in the magazine and five more in your pocket, all ten rounds in your pocket, or all ten in the magazine, even if said magazine could hold fifty rounds.
    Here's a direct link to the law as written - https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1231#document-afa20d5e
    Here's the pertinent quote you're asking about:
    "(4) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for the rifle while hunting deer under this section."
    There is no mention of maximum magazine capacity throughout the rest of the text of the entire bill.
    I should also explain that the ten round limit applies only to the newly legalized high powered rifles, not handguns, not shotguns, and not handgun caliber rifles, any of which you could walk around with 100 rounds or even more if you really wanted to weigh yourself down.
    The only other limitation that applies to those using high powered rifles that doesn't already apply to those using all other legal equipment (bows, handguns, muzzleloaders, shotguns, handgun caliber rifles) is that you must use them on private property only.
    "1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land."

As for this I don't believe it was stated. Just that you can only have 10 rounds on you. Not 10 in your gun and 10 in your pocket. Just 10 in total.

Yep
    This isn't New York, ruled by a potentate named Andrew Cuomo who shouts "You don't need more than ten bullets to kill a deeeeeeuw!"

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom