• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Making a firepit. I want to use this bench option, how on earth do you secure those 4x4???

I will have concrete stone blocks as corner boxes built up to attach to.

Here is my canvas. I plan to line it with the block and fill with crushed stone.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Bolt each of the three 4x4s to a metal plate (on the bottom- where it won't be seen) this secures all three together at both ends.

The plates should extend proud of the post ends by several inches at the end.

A plate that is 14" x 8" would be ideal. That would capture all 4x including spaces. And give you 4" of purchase on the wood and the masonry.

Insert the plates between the top course and the second to top course when building the masonry posts.

Last edited:

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    I google searched the photo and found this post here...

[h=2]This photo has 3 questions[/h]
    user_0.png

March 1, 2015
    boom55 wrote:

How did you fasten the 2x4 to the brick ? - Also is the planters hollow all the way down or just half way? http://www.houzz.com/discussions/2877595/how-did-you-fasten-the-2x4-to-the-brick

[FONT=Houzz-Glyphs !important]
    1 Like [FONT=Houzz-Glyphs !important][/FONT] 1 Comment

sean_buckley.jpg
    PRO

1-877-LAWN-CREWI used tapcon screws to fasten a pressure treated 2x4 to the blocks under the 4x6 timbers. The lighting was trenched out ahead of time and run in conduit under the center of each pillar. Then I would cut a small notch in the block with a diamond blade for the wire to run to the light. The light has a small plate made to fit between blocks etc. When running the low voltage landscape lighting wires though you have to run individual wires for each one and make sure each wire is the same size that runs back to the transformer. In other words the wire running from the transformer to the closest light needs to be as long as the cable running to the furthest light. If you don't do this the lights will be different brightness because they run off of DC power.

[FONT=Houzz-Glyphs !important][/FONT]waterbug15 wrote:
    FASTENING THE WOOD - IS THAT SIMPLY A 2X4 FASTENED TO THE BRICK AND 4X4 POSTS LAID DOWN AND FASTENED TO THE LEDGE OF THE 2X4? LOVE THE IDEA AND WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS http://www.houzz.com/discussions/934285/fastening-the-wood

[FONT=Houzz-Glyphs !important][/FONT] Like [FONT=Houzz-Glyphs !important][/FONT] 1 Comment

sean_buckley.jpg
    PRO

1-877-LAWN-CREWI used pressure treated 2x4 for blocking underneath and the timbers were 4x6 Douglas fir I believe.

[/FONT]

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    thanks guys. I found the page too and the questions but never saw the response. I'm hoping to do it for one or two sides and then use other seating for the rest.

If it goes well you can enjoy it at the INGO gathering I'll host :):

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would just use a T shaped bit of steel, at least twice as long as the 4x4s are tall. Countersink masonry screws through it into the second from the top course and then mortar the top course in. If you use an S/Z shape, that bottom shelf will hold water and promote rot and corrosion.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I should add I'm planning to dry stack the block and secure with construction adhesive. They will be capped wth a 27" square stone piece. I wonder if I'd need mortar to hold it all stable or if the 55lb blocks will be enough.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My concern then would be if the course on top of the plates holding the bench seats together could be hidden by your dry stack system. Mortarring around the edges, the fact that there's a plate of steel in there can be disguised. Dry stacked, not so much, unless you're gonna chisel out the space the plates take up.

I'd think vertical bolts holding the steel plate in place would be even more important if there's no mortar and just construction adhesive.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    {Disclaimer: IMO, when going for a 'massive' look, the concept of 'overbuilding' is used.} :)

Doc, JMO but I'd suggest mortaring or otherwise fixing the blocks together.

Keep in mind we do get tremors in this region from time to time (Madrid Fault Zone), as well as the natural movements of the earth.

Also keep in mind that, presuming 55 lb. blocks are also being used in the original image, each end of the bench weighs in somewhere around 1400# + the weight of the supported bench on each end. Factor in folks sitting / laying on the bench, etc. and figure a weight of something like 2000# - #2500 at each of the three piers.

That means settling also needs to be addressed and a very stable base should be used underneath those piers.

As noted, I'd 'overbuild' it, but that's a personal thing. For the piers, probably 4" or so of gravel underneath a 4" x 3' - 4' reinforced concrete pad on top of the gravel. Build the piers on top of those. The gravel in the photo (for me) would only be a couple inches deep, and really just decorative. I'd also edge it where the gravel butts up to the ground, so it'd be less likely to scatter into the surrounding yard, 'cause I swear my doggone lawnmower would find ONE pebble in a 40 hectare field, and shoot it right at my leg. My lawnmower hates me, I just know it!

OutdoorDad has a great idea with using a plate that bolts underneath the bench rails, and slides between the top 2 courses, then cemented in place (I'd probably bolt them down to the blocks first, then cement in, but that's me).

Now ya have something that not only looks 'heavy and massive', it is heavy and massive. Which means stable and less prone to shifting.

On the other hand, I'm the type that'd pour a 6" reinforced slab under the whole shebang, and it'd only look like it was just sitting on dirt. :yesway:

Build it once, fuhge-t'aboutit.

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    So I gave up on the bench. I decided I wanted people to adjust where they sit, and I am lazy. Coming together nicely though!

Awesome!!! You are installing a sump pump in the middle of it all! My son helped me do the same in our crawlspace recently!
    It will be nice and dry around the benches! Good thinking!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Good enough for today. $750 or so for everything though we don't have the pillar caps or lights figured out yet. Looking forward to relaxing soon!

Top Bottom