• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I recently bought a Sig P6 from a fellow INGO'er and am really pleased with the way it shoots. But, it has the usual holster wear and faded bluing and I would like to freshen it up.
    I saw that Duracoat has a kits with the degreaser, spray bottle and Duracoat finish for DIY. Anybody tried this and how did it work out for you?

Thanks in advance. SAM

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    I did my AR in the stuff. I used Purple power degreaser, old toothbrush. Disassembled and scrubbed. I used a small sprayer from menards. You can use a airbrush, just didn't have one. I didn't dilute it at all. The kit should work fine. I was going the budget route. Basically a normal paintjob.

get some very fine sand paper or bead blast it. Gloves and open area or facemask a must. It stinks! I got overspray on my glasses and watch due to bounceback.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I have used duracoat in the past but I haven't tried their DIY kit. I have a compressor and a HVLP spray gun. I can say that their degreaser will dry without leaving any residue. I don't know about the degreaser that you buy from a store for cleaning because most of that stuff is water based. The Lauer stuff is chemical based and works great. In a pinch brake cleaner will work also. One does better than the other chlorinated or non-chlorinated I can't remember. It's been too long, I need to get back in to refinishing guns. Duracoat works best over parkerizing. Just think of it as another layer of protection. When you place your order make sure you have everything on that initial order. They kill you with hazmat shipping charges. +1 on a GOOD respirator, not just a cheap mask.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    it worked fine for me, be careful of over spraying on your implaments, it's easy to create "puddles " of paint build up. Go easy and slow between coats. I nhaled the fumes like real man and had black bugers for 2 days!
    still alive.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    IMHO the best way to do it you will need sandblasting equiptment, a good compressor, a really good respirator, parkerizing solution(do not mix with tap water, the chemicals used to treat tap water cause different colors) use distilled instead, paint, hardener, spray gun, cheap set of measuring spoons and a place to do it out of the wind. Outdoors is not the recommended because as the paint is drying airborne particles can get stuck to the finish. I know it seems like alot, but if you want it to look good you have to put in some work.
    You can omit the sandblasting and parkerizing steps but chip resistance could be affected.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Duracoat

You might want to search the threads for discussions on Duracoat. Have been using it for several years. You do not have to Parkerize first, you can prep the surface with emery cloth, you should use an air compressor VS the canned air stuff and definitely use their Trustrip Cleaner/Degreaser. The final results will only be as good as the surface preparation.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Used the DIY kit and was very pleased! Take the time to prep with the emry and the degreaser, tape off what you don't want sprayed. Go slow and easy on the coats and watch for runs. If you can use spray paint, you can use the DIY kit. All of my projects have gone well.

AND LET IT DRY!!!! Do not get anxious and rush to put it together, wait the times it says to and you will be good.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I used one of their kits to do an M2 tripod and it turned out real good.
    I sandblasted all the parts, then used one of the little spray guns that Lauer sells, also used their degreaser too.
    As others have said thorough prep is key to any paint job. And like was said, give it time to cure. Lauer said the older it gets, the tougher it gets. I waited since last Fall to put the tripod back together.
    I didn't use a respirator but I worked outside. I had most of my parts hanging off of wire, and had some bolts stuck into holes that I punched into cardboard.
    And yes I got overspray on a pocketknife ect and it's on there pretty good so don't wear your good eyeglasses ect when you spray.
    I used non-powdered latex gloves to handle all parts after they'd been degreased. Your skin is oilier than you might think.
    I despise sandblasting but it really needed to be done. I haven't picked up a sandblaster since.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    I have the number for a distributor in Ft. Wayne if your interested. He normally has the paint in stock. I'm not sure about kits though. PM me if you want the number.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I used Durabake over the winter and couldn't be happier... As long as you do the proper surface prep it will all work good...

Top Bottom