• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The other night when I was daydreaming of being on the river bending my rod on some smallies, I decided to organize my flies. Most of my files were sitting in their orignal plastic boxes, which were then stored in the cardboard shipping box. I would just grab the box, throw it in my truck and pick a few flies when I got to the river. It worked, but I wanted to be more organized. My little fly boxes (made for trout flies) could only hold so many flies, so I knew something had to be done. I looked online for big bug boxes, boat and guide cases, and most were ~$50. I came across a post about someone making their own "Cliff box" on the cheap. I knew that was what I wanted to do, so out to the garage to look for a suitable box.

I found a box that Springfield sent with my XD gear up promotion a few years ago. I never use this box...until now. The box is essentially a small plastic pistol case (I'll let the pictures do the talking). I went to a craft store and picked up some 6mm craft foam for $0.99. I traced the outline of the box onto the foam and cut it out with an exacto knife. You will want to make several passes to cut the foam cleanly. I had to trim up the foam to get a near perfect fit. After I had the fit the way I wanted, I made slits that would hold the flies. I spaced them 1/2" apart. You want to cut the foam about 3/4 the way through, not completely. This will allow the foam to hold the flies securely. After that, I used some spray adhesive to attach the foam to both sides of the box. After allowing some cure time, I filled up the box with some of my bigger bugs. I plan to make more of these, if I can find the boxes (or some similar). I will also be making some smaller ones with boxes I have laying around. Hell, I'm going to use this foam to fabricate a patch that I will put on my boat to hold/dry flies. Anyway, enough jabbering, onto the pics:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You know, it would not be that hard to add some silicon gasket or similar material to make the box somewhat waterproof too.

Finally a use for those gun cases. I also have a small Plano pistol case I had them toss in on the deal this Xmas when I bought a Ruger 22/45 Lite. Except I don't fly fish, yet. I have the gear and I am going to make a run at it this spring on Smallies and Pike. I have noticed fly boxes are crazy expensive. I have a small one that had some hardware in it that I wanted. Of course I kept it and last year I saw one like it at a local shop for like $15-$20. I need to dig that one back out of my empty boxes box.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You can also get Plano Pistol case for around $10 it would be the same

Thanks for the input. I'll have to check them out.

You know, it would not be that hard to add some silicon gasket or similar material to make the box somewhat waterproof too.

Finally a use for those gun cases. I also have a small Plano pistol case I had them toss in on the deal this Xmas when I bought a Ruger 22/45 Lite. Except I don't fly fish, yet. I have the gear and I am going to make a run at it this spring on Smallies and Pike. I have noticed fly boxes are crazy expensive. I have a small one that had some hardware in it that I wanted. Of course I kept it and last year I saw one like it at a local shop for like $15-$20. I need to dig that one back out of my empty boxes box.

Yes, boxes are pretty expensive for what they are, so that's why I decided to make my own. I did order some guide boxes from Allen Fly Fishing, though. They had a deal that I couldn't pass up. I will tell you, Smallies on the fly are awesome! I don't even fish for bucketmouths anymore. I'm always amazed when I land a Smallie. I always think they are twice as big as they really are. Pike, I have no experience, but I have a 10 weight rod waiting for some Muskie action. Up there, you should be in some good trout water, which is a whole different ballgame. I love bending a 5 weight on a brown/'bow. Bass hammer the fly, trout sip it. It's different, but just as addicting. The tug is the drug.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have Smallies, Walleye, Musky and Pike right out the back door. A trout stream comes in to the river just a 5 minute paddle away and a spring fed pond stocked with trout just a half mile from the house. There are more Musky then Pike in here but I know Pike so I catch them. Watching a Huge musky roll and miss your lure or just drift along in the current a few feet away from the kayak is enough to give you a stroke.

By volume the fish we have most is Smallies. One day I went out and probably landed 50, set the hook on another 50, all in about 2-3 hours. I paddled max 1/3 mile from house. They ranged in size from 1/2lb to 2lbs. Lost a few big ones, I was just using two UL rigs. Another day I went out just for big fish. Put 3 Northerns in the boat 3-5lbs but I also caught 7 Smallies most between 18 and 22". I covered more water but I was on a pattern and holy cow, what a blast.

One rod was rigged with my "redneck bass fly" a flounder rig with a Yamamoto twin tail grub, no weight. Basically 40lb test with hair tied hook. After that day I decided to dig out the old fly fishing gear I have stashed for this year.

The trout I just chase with UL rig with spinners and jigs OR........wait for it..........slip bobber with worms. I forgot how feisty trout were! Another target for the fly rod.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have Smallies, Walleye, Musky and Pike right out the back door. A trout stream comes in to the river just a 5 minute paddle away and a spring fed pond stocked with trout just a half mile from the house. There are more Musky then Pike in here but I know Pike so I catch them. Watching a Huge musky roll and miss your lure or just drift along in the current a few feet away from the kayak is enough to give you a stroke.

By volume the fish we have most is Smallies. One day I went out and probably landed 50, set the hook on another 50, all in about 2-3 hours. I paddled max 1/3 mile from house. They ranged in size from 1/2lb to 2lbs. Lost a few big ones, I was just using two UL rigs. Another day I went out just for big fish. Put 3 Northerns in the boat 3-5lbs but I also caught 7 Smallies most between 18 and 22". I covered more water but I was on a pattern and holy cow, what a blast.

One rod was rigged with my "redneck bass fly" a flounder rig with a Yamamoto twin tail grub, no weight. Basically 40lb test with hair tied hook. After that day I decided to dig out the old fly fishing gear I have stashed for this year.

The trout I just chase with UL rig with spinners and jigs OR........wait for it..........slip bobber with worms. I forgot how feisty trout were! Another target for the fly rod.

Just rub it in. Man, that sounds incredible.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    It gets even better, or worse I guess, but I will spare you those details. You know like basically I have miles of this river almost to myself most of the time. Or the fact this river has no industry or serious agriculture on it so clear as hell and during summer you can get out and wade most of it. Or......you know what I will stop here. But the good news is it's all still under ice and snow so you win on that one.

I need to dig out my fly gear and start a thread asking what the hell do I do next? My skills were never developed beyond bluegills and that was over 30 years ago.

oh and we have eagles, osprey, bears, deer, wolves, beaver and otters all hanging out here on the river.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It gets even better, or worse I guess, but I will spare you those details. You know like basically I have miles of this river almost to myself most of the time. Or the fact this river has no industry or serious agriculture on it so clear as hell and during summer you can get out and wade most of it. Or......you know what I will stop here. But the good news is it's all still under ice and snow so you win on that one.

I need to dig out my fly gear and start a thread asking what the hell do I do next? My skills were never developed beyond bluegills and that was over 30 years ago.

oh and we have eagles, osprey, bears, deer, wolves, beaver and otters all hanging out here on the river.

Well, not really, ours is blown out and flows are over 4X what I would normally fish. Sounds like you have a piece of paradise. I am jealous, for now. Last night my wife completely caught me off guard. She was looking at property along rivers/streams, etc. out west. She said, "we need to buy some property to retire on." So, maybe one day I will have my own little piece of paradise.

As for starting a thread, heck yea, do it. I'm not a pro by any stretch, but I have been known to catch some smallies, gills (on accident, I don't target them), trout (out west), and hopefully, a few salt species soon.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Buying land up here with a trout stream running through it is pretty easy. Not my bag, but when we go to buy we will probably at least be along a similar stream if not river. Even rivers smaller than the one we are on have Musky and Smallies. I looked at some land on the jump river I liked. Friend has 240 not far from it with a river running at the south edge and the other side is thousands of acres of state forest.

Between Federal, State and County lands along with all the paper company lands it's easy to find a quiet spot and probably $1500 per acre. Hell, I damn near impulse bought a small parcel across the river on that trout stream down stream from us but I know what parcel I really want. Only thing is living here is more wilderness than what you would call rural, we just happen to like it. Drag your butt up here and spend some money on the local economy. DNR stocks a lot of trout around here. Price County/Phillips WI.

Top Bottom