• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I did this in honor of 9/11/01 today. I plan on doing it more in the future just maybe not with the sign as well, lol. When I got home from going to the store earlier I made up a sign in honor of 9/11 and grabbed my American flag on a pole, and my Navy Jack flag on a pole. Called a buddy of mine to see if he wanted to come and help. And headed to the overpass where IN-332 goes over I-69. We were out there from around 11:30 am till 2:30 pm. I had the sign duct taped to the side of the bridge. Facing so the southbound traffic would see it. We had a good time, had alot of people honk or wave at us showing support. Even a couple stopped by, including a state trooper.. You see I was OC'ing my springfield mil spec 1911. And apparantly they were getting calls for some guys being out on the bridge with flags and guns. Even though he figured he knew what it was he came and checked it out. He was totally respectful, although he did take my guns (both my 1911 and my taurus 709) back to his car while he checked up on things. When he came back, gave them back. And thanked us for what we were doing. He told me he served in the Army in Iraq and was over there twice. And he really appreciated us going out there and showing our patriotism and support like that. BTW he knew OC was legal, and was all for me excerising my 2nd amendment rights. He just didn't want to keep constantly getting calls about it from the sheeple, lol. We did get a couple people yell at us, couldn't tell what they said exactly but didnt' sound good. The one other guy that stopped, going out of his way, thanked us cause he has a brother that was sent over to Afghanistan right after it happened, and was very appreciative to see people out there like this.

I would of liked to stay longer, but I've got to work tonight due to an announcement last night that only our shift is working mandatory overtime tonight. So I've gotta get some sleep. I know some of you will ask for pics. I do have a few. They are in my album. I'm not sure how to post them here from there. So if someone can do it for me, rep will be inbound next time I get on. Once again I'd like to say thanks to our Firemen, police, and military. Thank you for what you do in keeping us safe and putting your lives on the line every day for our safety. We can never repay you enough. But I hope this is a good start at least. :patriot::patriot:

God Bless America! And God Bless our public servants!!:patriot:

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    picture.php
    picture.php

picture.php
    picture.php

Thanks for showing your patriotism... i thought i'd give you a hand and post your pics for ya.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It was just too cool. I drove down from Chicago and on I-65 a guy did the same thing holding a very large flag. Out of all of the people in front of me he waved to me because I must have been the only one that honked and waved.

Congrats, what a great idea.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Im uncertain how busy I-69 is up in that area. Over by me, the I-69 corridor is the choke point for all commuters coming into and out of Indianapolis to the NE. When I say choke point, I really mean it. The I-69/465 exchange really sucks. They still havent finished the summer construction project, so there are even more a-holes merging at the last second than when all lanes are normal. All this comes to a vicious head at around the 106th street overpass on the northbound ride home today. Right where there are about a half dozen American flags and a couple of guys waving and soliciting honks from the semi trucks.

I'm as patriotic as the next guy. Im a vet. We had an emergency underway when 9/11 happened, and I did two deployments in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. I am not against guys out there waving flags and trying to make certain people remember the sacrifices made. But man...use some common sense when picking and choosing your locations brother. When all four lanes of rush hour traffic come to an absolute screeching stop because everyone is rubbernecking at the flags, its goddang dangerous. Tractor trailers having to lock up brakes and everyone swerving and shiatting their pants to avoid an accident...it aint frickin smart.

I was mad as hell and had to vent a little.

Hooray for patriotism... Boo to unnecessary gridlock.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Rock on man! :rockwoot: How'd it go?
    See... https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...mendment/48417-flag_fridays-3.html#post570808 It went great. Better than any other time out. :patriot:

Man I understand the frustration and I KNEW someone would mention this. My only reply is to those screeching tires, pay attention. See the flag, keep your eyes on the road, honk and wave as you drive by. No need to stare and jump up and down in your seat (Although from females it's much appreciated! :D ) or anything like that. If an accident is caused, it's not the flag waver's fault. I think a little traffic jam should be ok for something like this. Especially when it's a Nationwide thing.

OTOH Safety is the top priority and yea, maybe they should have picked a better spot. Then again that area is always backed up tighter than a constipated man with diharrea.... :):

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Our spot wasn't that busy. Its a spot about halfway between Indy and Ft Wayne. Was at the main exit for Muncie. It was constant fairly steady traffic. But nothing real heavy with the time of day I did it. It wasn't during rush hour or anything. I saw only a car or two swerve onto the rumble strips, trying to wave, honk a horn and talk on the phone at the same time.:rolleyes: I'm sorry if talking on the phone, one or the other is fine with me. Keep your car on the road and keep safe. I really enjoyed it and am gonna see if I can start making it a semi regular thing.

And Errkola, I was wondering if anyone on here saw us. That's awesome! I'm glad one of my fellow INGOers saw us. I was hoping someone would. :ingo:

And SE your comment on you wouldn't mind if a woman was inside the car bouncing up and down waving. Its kinda funny cause at one point I told Andy it would be pretty cool if a female was passenger in a vehicle as it drove by and flashed us or something, lol. ;)

Either way, I'm glad I got out there and did it. And I was proud of both my work last night, and Payless on my way home this morning. When I got to work last night, I noticed the flag at half mast, and same at Payless this morn when I got there. Then they had a sign in the entryway saying they were celebrating in honor of 9/11. I was glad to see that. I wish more businesses were like that. :patriot:

tk6968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Im uncertain how busy I-69 is up in that area. Over by me, the I-69 corridor is the choke point for all commuters coming into and out of Indianapolis to the NE. When I say choke point, I really mean it. The I-69/465 exchange really sucks. They still havent finished the summer construction project, so there are even more a-holes merging at the last second than when all lanes are normal. All this comes to a vicious head at around the 106th street overpass on the northbound ride home today. Right where there are about a half dozen American flags and a couple of guys waving and soliciting honks from the semi trucks.

I'm as patriotic as the next guy. Im a vet. We had an emergency underway when 9/11 happened, and I did two deployments in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. I am not against guys out there waving flags and trying to make certain people remember the sacrifices made. But man...use some common sense when picking and choosing your locations brother. When all four lanes of rush hour traffic come to an absolute screeching stop because everyone is rubbernecking at the flags, its goddang dangerous. Tractor trailers having to lock up brakes and everyone swerving and shiatting their pants to avoid an accident...it aint frickin smart.

I was mad as hell and had to vent a little.

What you are describing sounds like the normal traffic patern for I-69. The problem is not the flags. It is the stupid drivers who are on the phone, looking at the laptop, or whatever. And in that area there are a large number of self important a-holes who are in a hurry becuase there time is more valuable than everyone else. It is a rare day when there are not 2-3 wrecks between I-465 and SR-38.

Top Bottom