• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/1...arf.html?_r=0&referer=https://news.google.com

Huh. I didn't realize the "same God" was in dispute. I guess that clarrifies why GFGT asked.

From a Christians point of view, it's hard to accept they are the same. Why?
    Are God and Allah the same? Consider the facts- | Dan Calic | The Blogs | The Times of Israel

I've also attended anti Islam services referring to the Islamic version as a pagan moon god, further research (on my part) would say that's a very limited view.

Is nice to read a thread with many sharing, not attacking.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I understand what you're saying (I think) and I'm not talking about or advocating "genocide;" however, that doesn't mean I don't think massive B-52 raids on known ISIS strongholds should be ruled out. In the context of winning a difficult war, I'm okay with the unfortunate noncombatants in the bad guys' territory suffering in order for us to destroy his ability to make war or threaten us and OUR noncombatants over here.

The one guaranteed way to lose a war is to piddle away at the enemies in a half-assed way. If nothing else, Vietnam AND our military adventures in Iraq Post-Saddam and in Afghanistan Post-Taliban ouster should have told us that. Yet here we are, with bad guys actually holding territory over there and infiltrating our own country and promising us they are going to kill us and our children, and we worry about pissing them off?

The rest of the world's Muslims can learn to live with hating us quietly and from a safe distance if they wish; they can live in the 7th century and bow down to a theocracy if they wish, as long as they don't try to change OUR government and society to match theirs. That's MY version of "Live and let live."

We agree, sir... especially on the part about NOT doing it half-assed. I'm not worried about pissing off Jihadi John and the ISIS boys. That said, ISIS does not EQUAL Islam. We need to remember that and not condemn all of the members of the religion, while we pound the hell out of those who would do us harm. To be clear - send the BUFFs over to ISIS land day and night , as required. Let's just not get carried away with the rhetoric in our doing so. History teaches that when we do - genocide (ie wiping out INNOCENT - non violent people of a faith in this case) is the next step. Plenty of examples of this in history from all angles. Demonization and making a caricature out of folks is the first major step. Hence my caution with that. Wipe out our enemies? No problem with that.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    We agree, sir... especially on the part about NOT doing it half-assed. I'm not worried about pissing off Jihadi John and the ISIS boys. That said, ISIS does not EQUAL Islam. We need to remember that and not condemn all of the members of the religion, while we pound the hell out of those who would do us harm. To be clear - send the BUFFs over to ISIS land day and night , as required. Let's just not get carried away with the rhetoric in our doing so. History teaches that when we do - genocide (ie wiping out INNOCENT - non violent people of a faith in this case) is the next step. Plenty of examples of this in history from all angles. Demonization and making a caricature out of folks is the first major step. Hence my caution with that. Wipe out our enemies? No problem with that.

There are plenty of examples of genocide or attempted genocide even in modern times, but none of them were deliberately done by Americans, even with great provocation. I'll grant that our culture has changed, but I don't think it's changed in that direction. And if you look at "hate crimes" occurring in America in the recent past, a majority of them are still directed at Jews - not Muslims.

Edit: Some may bring up the American Indian tribes as an example of "genocide" by America. I contend that if "genocide" it has been, it was brought about by ignorance, not deliberately (despite the Western's prevailing meme: "The only good Indian is a dead Indian") I'll admit that Americans drove the Indians out of their homes and penned them up on reservations, which was not conducive to an environment in which they would thrive, but I don't think that's the same as deliberately setting out to kill them off.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    From a Christians point of view, it's hard to accept they are the same. Why?
    Are God and Allah the same? Consider the facts- | Dan Calic | The Blogs | The Times of Israel

I've also attended anti Islam services referring to the Islamic version as a pagan moon god, further research (on my part) would say that's a very limited view.

Is nice to read a thread with many sharing, not attacking.

There are elements of the preceding pagan religion, particularly in the symbolism. I think you'll find this true with Christianity as well. Pagan cultures that adopt religions tend to keep some of their existing culture and meld it with the new.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There are elements of the preceding pagan religion, particularly in the symbolism. I think you'll find this true with Christianity as well. Pagan cultures that adopt religions tend to keep some of their existing culture and meld it with the new.

Christmas is every ones favorite holiday.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    any time anyone tries to defend islam, its always some none sense like "oh people just take the verses out of context." Ok so the verses telling people to kill non believers, i must take that out of context, i guess it means that they believe in freedom, the right to speak freely and have no issues with the united states constitution?!???!!?! sorry, i'm not going to sit here and be told i'm wrong when i can read plain as day, and i can look throughout history and current events and see what is happening.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, why doesn't ISIS just smuggle in some Chinese mortars instead of messing around with that hilljack crap?

Point of order, hilljack crap would replicate civil war cannons and would likely involve potatoes and PBR in some fashion.

Now, as to why they don't smuggle in real mortars...probably because ISIS doesn't have much in the way of logistics. Their plan is to radicalize via social media and have the new operative equip themselves locally from what I've seen.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    any time anyone tries to defend islam, its always some none sense like "oh people just take the verses out of context." Ok so the verses telling people to kill non believers, i must take that out of context, i guess it means that they believe in freedom, the right to speak freely and have no issues with the united states constitution?!???!!?! sorry, i'm not going to sit here and be told i'm wrong when i can read plain as day, and i can look throughout history and current events and see what is happening.

Is this one taken out of context:
    If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

Then God became flesh & died, blameless, on a cross, taking our sin debt, & paying it in full.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Then God became flesh & died, blameless, on a cross, taking our sin debt, & paying it in full.

So before Jesus, it is fair to say that believers in God were just as bloodthirsty as some of the followers of Islam today?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Point of order, hilljack crap would replicate civil war cannons

Lots of cultures have hilljacks. Dated Lebanese hilljack girl. Well, she spoke 4 languages but she was still from a hilljack family. Father and grandfather loved me as I knew guns.:D

probably because ISIS doesn't have much in the way of logistics.

Famous But Incompetent has open files in all 50 states. Obama is about to let a bunch of their agents in. I have a hard time believe that ISIS is not already dug in and wired in here.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville

You are not taking it out of context by simply quoting a portion of Deuteronomy 17, but I assume you are implying that this passage is somehow indefensible or negates the claims of Christianity. This could be a very long answer, but to just give the "Reader's Digest" version, consider the fact that ancient Israel was a theocracy. Those who approach the Bible as the revealed Word of God, as I do, see the consistency running through all 66 books of the Scripture. There is no question that there is extreme violence in the Old Testament. There is also no question that God clearly puts to death people in large numbers. Critics of the Bible who point this out as some sort of "chink in the armor" of Christianity forget that not only is God the embodiment and source of love, He is also perfectly holy. Thus, One who is holy cannot be in the presence of sin, nor can He condone sin. God judges sin and sometimes in a fatal manner. God wanted to keep His people free from the corruption of the pagan cultures that surrounded them. The Old Testament system, which was directed to the Jews of the Ancient Near East, was necessarily rigid and harsh for many reasons. I will only cover 2 of them. First, as I implied a moment ago, God wanted His chosen people to stand out from the heathen countries that surrounded them. He wanted not only their practices but also their personal behavior to stand out from the wickedness of the Assyrians and other ancient cultures mired in idolatry. They certainly failed on many occasions. Secondly, He made the demands of the Law to be this demanding so that men would ultimately recognize their own inability to keep the Law perfectly. This recognition by men of their own inadequacy set the stage for the intervention of a divine intermediary who can fully meet the demands of the Law and serve as our sin-bearer. This is the role that Jesus Christ fulfilled.

Top Bottom