• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I've carried a long gun in addition to a handgun for years. It's generally a single shot but varies between .357 Magnum and 12 Ga. with improvised sights. I feel either give a great diversity to applications.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    e5ranger i think you missed the main one. unless your going to and from the range to shoot it :) the stipulation as i know it is the ammo has to be separate from the gun. another words the gun would need to be in the trunk and the ammo and magazines would need to be in a bag in the bag seat which shouldn't bother you at all if its strictly for a shtf situation. but i still like the shotgun better anywho or the keltec wouldn't be a bad route especially if you carry a glock that you can interchange mags with

Without a LTCH, you CANNOT legally transport any firearm classified as a handgun with or without ammo to a range. If you goto a range where a gun smith is employed, buy the ammo there, AND shoot ALL of the ammo there, you might get away with it under exemption #11 by lying and saying you're taking the handgun to have it inspected by the gun smith if you're caught by a LEO. Personally I wouldn't advise you trying it. Spend the few dollars and get your LTCH. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than what you'll spend in court.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I always carry a pistol so I was trying to decide whether to add a long gun(shotgun) in case of emergency. I understand that the long gun will draw unwanted attentinon but I also figure I will be moving off of the main roads anyway. After getting some other opinions I am leaning toward throwing it in the trunk as it would be better to have the ability to protect or defend yourself and passengers in a situation than not being able to. I appreciate all the advice and welcome more!!

RedDot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    im not going to tell you what to put or not put in your trunk (ewww that sounded bad).

remember not to have it (long gun) loaded while walking down the road.
    and never sacrifice security for ANY REASON! just my personal opinion

Okay, the terminology is maybe different with long guns and hand guns.. something im trying to get used to. If a hand gun is "unloaded" without one in the pipe but with a mag full in it... is that the same as an "unloaded" shotty?- a few in the tube but none in the pipe?

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    In a SHTF scenario, I don't think you want to be around people at all. Having it in your window would not help. I would leave it in the trunk, the last thing you want is some jerk breaking in and stealing it. Leave it in the trunk where you can get to it quickly and easily. To me, having it in a rack in the rear window would make it really hard to get to without putting yourself in a comprimising position. Keep it simple.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Those who fight and run away, live to fight another day.
    My dad always said to prepare for the worst and expect the best.
    I have a weapon in my car but always remove it at the end of the day, going onto government property, school property, etc. I also have a SHTF bag in my vehicle. I work 40 miles from home. I have prepared to be "on the road" for a couple days to get home if necessary.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    what kind of car do you have? that would make or break what gun I put in the trunk... I can stash a full-length shotty or AR or carbine in my trunk completly discreetly and within a minute's access in case SHTF.

as for what type of gun you should get, I would recommend a carbine or AR with a collapsable stock.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Okay, the terminology is maybe different with long guns and hand guns.. something im trying to get used to. If a hand gun is "unloaded" without one in the pipe but with a mag full in it... is that the same as an "unloaded" shotty?- a few in the tube but none in the pipe?

It doesn't matter. It is perfectly legal to walk down the street with a loaded long gun or handgun(with LTCH.)

To the OP:

As long as you can secure, and preferably hide, a long gun in your vehicle it is a good idea. We just can't anticipate exactly what circumstance we will face. Therefore, it is best to have some options. My preference is a slung 870 in addition to my EDC I will inevitably have at the time. Honestly, we probably won't be slinking sight unseen down a public road to get home. If I can't have stealth I might as well have some deterrence and adequate firepower if needed.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I know of a friend that has an M1 Carbine Enforcer, its almost like an M1 pistol, that would be ideal in my opinion.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . My main question is whether most people think it would be better to . . . [give] up being discreet or better just to stick to the pistol and sacrifice extra defense/offense ability [while remaining discreet]? Personally, I feel that I would rather avoid conflict and stay out of sight as much as possible but worry about giving up the long gun. . .

Lots of animals (but not all) practice a strategy of discretion and avoidance for survival and it works well for them. It also sounds like it may fit your personality. If that's the case, go low pofile and gray man. If you're not seen you can't be targeted. Choice of firearm should support whatever strategy you decide to take. That's a valid approach and it even has an idiom to go along with it.

"Discretion is the better part of valor."

Or, to quote Shakespeare directly, from which this comes:

"To die is to be a counterfeit, for he is but the counterfeit of
    a man who hath not the life of a man; but to counterfeit dying,
    when a man thereby liveth, is to be no counterfeit, but the true
    and perfect image of life indeed. The better part of valor is
    discretion, in the which better part I have sav'd my life."

Top Bottom