• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    1. I thought I did. As much as anyone can interpret these things.
    2. You are absolutely right about that...seen it. Not all licensed carriers are the most responsible either..how do you decide? Don't know. I always urge younger officers to try and have some common sense..a tall order sometimes.

I don't think you did. Did the officer return the firearm? I'm guessing he didn't.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Thanks for pointing out that I missed an 'N' while typing. Name calling really is the last resort of a person with no intellectual ground to stand on. I take back the nice guy thing I said about you.

I didn't figure for the sensitive type, the winking smiley meant I was kidding with you... :n00b:

Also NOT answering a question is how I generally figure someone has nothing intelligent to say about it.

Mrs_Frost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Ha, yourself. From what little I know about your snuggle bunny he's a good man who won't let anyone trample his rights. You've got a fighter, Mrs. Frost, and I'm proud to have met him.

He is a very good man. I'm very proud of him for always stand up for his rights. He is a wonderful husband and a great father. I hope Colt learns from his daddy just how important your rights are and that he should always stand up for them.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    1. I thought I did. As much as anyone can interpret these things.
    2. You are absolutely right about that...seen it. Not all licensed carriers are the most responsible either..how do you decide? Don't know. I always urge younger officers to try and have some common sense..a tall order sometimes.

Missed this one before I commented earlier...

I didn;t catch where you quoted anything besides your opinion...

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Please don't think I would ever resist, I wouldn't. I also wouldn't give you my gun, that could easily confused with giving up my rights. You can feel free to take it, slap the cuffs on if it makes you feel safer.

So, now you have my gun, which you have seized. May I have a receipt? I'm not taking possession until a judge decides if your reasoning was lawful.

Oh, sorry about the running thing. You were frozen and I was going for help?
    Good stuff. I'm cracking up right now picturing this awkward traffic stop we have endured....I hope I never pull you over. If I do I will probably just drive off.:laugh:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    So the IC only allows for seizure from mental health patients who are off Meds...or pose a great danger to others?

Wow, didn't realize anyone being cared for in a mental health facility could obtain a LCTH...

Thanks for the IC code so I could read and become familiar with it.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    After observing a lot of LEOs handle weapons I think it would be better if they just left it in the car while you stepped out. A loaded gun that you are not familiar with is a dangerous thing.

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy
    After observing a lot of LEOs handle weapons I think it would be better if they just left it in the car while you stepped out. A loaded gun that you are not familiar with is a dangerous thing.

After observing a lot of people from all different professions handle weapons I think it would be better if they just left it at home in the first place. A loaded gun that you are not familiar with can be a dangerous thing, regardless of who is holding it. Actually, a lot of things that you are not familiar with can be dangerous.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I always find these threads interesting. Our civil rights which and interpretation of the "law" verses officer safety and arguably common sense. My LEO friends are quick to point out that if a person they don't know has a gun then how do they know that person won't lose their temper? So to have better control of the situation and increase officer safety they want to hold the weapon. Also like it has been mentioned the pinky itself does not neccessarily varify it is valid. (They even used to run serial numbers but the cheif put a stop to that). Now lets interject a little common sense.

1) If an officer pulls over a non-LTCH holder. How does the officer know they don't have a gun?
    2) If an officer pulls over an LTCH holder how do they know they don't have a gun?
    3) If an officer secures the LTCH holders gun, how does the officer know that person does not have a second gun?

Hmm...seems to me that securing the gun does not increase officer safety much. Still boils down to situational awarness. Hey at least they know I have the first gun right?

Now we know that removing guns from the holster and messing with them on the side of road and in parking lots is dangerous. (Seems an INGO mod keeps preaching this.)

All this leaves us with three options that will in reality makes it safer for the officers. Pick one please:
    1) Leave the darn guns alone! Stop playing with them.
    2) Remove every person from the car at every stop and cuff them. Better yet call back up.
    3) Find a safer profession. (I don't recommend farming, truck driving, traveling sales, fishing, logging, mining, etc - all of these have a greater percentage of injuries and deaths then law enforcement) May I recommend telemarketing, everybody loves those guys.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I always find these threads interesting. Our civil rights which and interpretation of the "law" verses officer safety and arguably common sense. My LEO friends are quick to point out that if a person they don't know has a gun then how do they know that person won't lose their temper? So to have better control of the situation and increase officer safety they want to hold the weapon. Also like it has been mentioned the pinky itself does not neccessarily varify it is valid. (They even used to run serial numbers but the cheif put a stop to that). Now lets interject a little common sense.

1) If an officer pulls over a non-LTCH holder. How does the officer know they don't have a gun?
    2) If an officer pulls over an LTCH holder how do they know they don't have a gun?
    3) If an officer secures the LTCH holders gun, how does the officer know that person does not have a second gun?

Hmm...seems to me that securing the gun does not increase officer safety much. Still boils down to situational awarness. Hey at least they know I have the first gun right?

Now we know that removing guns from the holster and messing with them on the side of road and in parking lots is dangerous. (Seems an INGO mod keeps preaching this.)

All this leaves us with three options that will in reality makes it safer for the officers. Pick one please:
    1) Leave the darn guns alone! Stop playing with them.
    2) Remove every person from the car at every stop and cuff them. Better yet call back up.
    3) Find a safer profession. (I don't recommend farming, truck driving, traveling sales, fishing, logging, mining, etc - all of these have a greater percentage of injuries and deaths then law enforcement) May I recommend telemarketing, everybody loves those guys.

Great points to end this thread on. I can't believe it took on a life of its own with just a simple question (It's ALIVE!). You pretty well said it all, bro.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    How does the citizen know that the LEO is not about to have a psychotic episode? (like the Canton OH cop) How does the LEO know that after he checks the citizen out and returns his weapon to him that the citizen won't have a psychotic episode? All of these questions are of course pointless. Nobody can know what might possibly happen next. The problem is the perceived "need" to handle and unload someone else's gun. An LEO cannot possibly be safe and proficient with the variety of weapons on the street. "Officer safety" is the most ridiculous excuse I have ever heard to violate a citizens Fourth Amendment rights.:rolleyes: If performing the duties of an LEO makes you feel unsafe then take up computer programming. Nobody has any right or guarantees to "feel safe". If I felt safe I wouldn't have any desire to carry a gun. (and no, I don't really wish I had a Glock on)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom