• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have both. Started with the 550 about 25 years ago and a couple of years ago I purchased the 650. The 650 is a nice machine and I use it for my high volume ammo such as 9 mm and 40 but everything else is ran on the 550. I prefer the 550 for quick changes and short runs. Like others have said it is cheaper to convert on the 550 over the 650. I also prefer to work up loads on the 550 since you can basically run it as a single stage press to dial in a new load easier than you can on the 650.

So my vote would be the 550. If you should decide to go 650 later you will be able to sell the 550 for nearly what you paid. Good luck with your dicession.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Jim,
    I bought a 650 when they were first introduced and eventually bought another one when I started shooting pistol again.
    The pros and cons have already been discussed so I'll simply say that if you buy a 650, it's doubtful that you'll ever wonder if you should have bought a 550. However, if you buy a 550, it's likely that you'll second guess yourself regarding a 650.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Jim,
    I bought a 650 when they were first introduced and eventually bought another one when I started shooting pistol again.
    The pros and cons have already been discussed so I'll simply say that if you buy a 650, it's doubtful that you'll ever wonder if you should have bought a 550. However, if you buy a 550, it's likely that you'll second guess yourself regarding a 650.

Exactly what I was thinking, litlratt just put it very clearly.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    As expected, opinions are all over the place. No wonder we can't all agree on who should run our country. :D

In a nutshell, it sounds like you really can't go wrong with ANY Dillon press. That said, the limiting factor right now seems to be the availability of primers and bullets. I checked online over the weekend for small pistol primers and found page after page of websites listing them as out of stock. No reason to buy a press of ANY variety until I can get the stuff that goes in it!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    As expected, opinions are all over the place. No wonder we can't all agree on who should run our country. :D

In a nutshell, it sounds like you really can't go wrong with ANY Dillon press.

:yesway:

I've got a basic 550, one friend has a 550 with more bells and whistles (case feeder), one had a 550 and then got a 650, another had a 650 and a 550 and then sold the 650.

We are all happy with what we are using.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Good for you!
    I'm sure you will have lots of fun with it.
    My brother who says he likes his Lee came and loaded some 9mm on my XL650 last night, he said "This is much more fun than loading on my Lee!"

ENJIOY! :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :ingo: :ingo: :yesway: :yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom