• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Another thing to consider if you're wanting an XL650 but you're on a tight budget, is that there is a company out there that makes a plug-n-play case feeder that's less pricey than Dillon's model. Plus, you can load various sizes of cases without having to swap out the feed plate.

http://www.budgetreloader.com/

As much as I like Dillon as a company and like their products, they were so backed up with orders when I decided to add one that I gave this product a chance and put the savings toward more supplies or accessories. It plugs together right out of the box and fits the XL650 like a glove. I plugged it in, fed it some cases and it started whirring and dropping cases into the feed tube without objection. It has functioned flawlessly so far, and the only time it has had a hiccup is when I accidentally had a couple of .40 cases mixed in with my 9mm. Oops.

Just something to consider.
    That is a pretty slick looking case feeder and the price is right. I wonder if they have plans to come out with one for the Dillon 550?

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    We have the RL550B and XL650 set up in the shop here. Personally, I like the 550, but it's a personal preference.

If you have time to make it in, we'll do a side by side comparison for you, and if you pick one up, we can help you put it together as well. Conversions are extra simple on the 550B. The XL650 takes a little more time to convert, but if you're looking for an auto progressive, they're the best out there.

It boils down to personal preference and quantity of loading.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What are your thoughts on the Dillion 550 or 650. I've never used either and do not know how to set them up. Are they difficult? I will be using them for 38/357, 30 carbine, 45 acp, 223, and possibly 308. I don't know as to how difficult it is to change calibers on either?

1. I have a 550. I enjoy it very much.

2. I had a buddy help me set it up. Nothing like a teacher at your elbow.

3. Whole toolhead slides right out with two pins. Easy but you have to take the time to ensure everything is dialed in, just like any other press.

4. I do not use any of the case or primer feeders (I use my fingers:D). I do not use it as a true progessive as I load in batches of 100 at a time (de-prime and prime 100, then powder, bullet, crimp those 100).

I can get 200 in an hour but I do not rush it as I am still a noob and check the powder load a lot (every 10 or so) and gage every single cartridge after the crimp.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    1. I have a 550. I enjoy it very much.

2. I had a buddy help me set it up. Nothing like a teacher at your elbow.

3. Whole toolhead slides right out with two pins. Easy but you have to take the time to ensure everything is dialed in, just like any other press.

4. I do not use any of the case or primer feeders (I use my fingers:D). I do not use it as a true progessive as I load in batches of 100 at a time (de-prime and prime 100, then powder, bullet, crimp those 100).

I can get 200 in an hour but I do not rush it as I am still a noob and check the powder load a lot (every 10 or so) and gage every single cartridge after the crimp.

Kirk, you DO love your numerical bullet points, don't you? Must be a freakin' lawyer. :laugh:

Like Kirk, being a noob at reloading, I don't crank out the 1200+/hour that the XL650 is capable of. I've done it -- gotten into a rhythm where I heard 20-25 kerplunking into the bin in a 60-second time span -- but my shoulder gets too tired to keep up that pace. Plus, I slow down to keep the light powder from jumping out of the cases and to stop occasionally to check the powder drop on the scale. [Note: Buy the powder check kit -- it's a good safety item, IMO.]

And regarding the Budget Reloader case feeder, I just got an e-mail from them saying that they are "working hard in pushing out our bullet feeder and will be posting them [on] our website when ready." I'll be staying tuned for that little accessory ... then I can just load that sucker up with bullets, primers, powder and cases and leave for an hour or two. When I come back, I'll have a bushel full of ammo! :rockwoot:

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I've got the 550 from about 20+ years ago. I haven't overworked it over the years but real happy with it. I packed it away for a couple of years when I had no place to set it up and had a few problems when i got it back out. Mainly due to moisture. I would buy again without a doubt.

Johncandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Decisions decisions ... I appreciate all the input guys. I load probably 5-6k a year so I'll probably go with the 550. Thanks guys!

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    550 better price, easier to set up not much difference in output and if you crash it's another station to clear.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    One thing not mentioned is that the 650 has a fifth hole for installation of a powder check die to help prevent too low or too high powder charges. That is a nice safety feature.

flatbroke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    whereigothereiam
    I like both Loaders , after reading and studying up on the Dillion ,for the beginner and average loader I feel that the 550 would suffice hands down for almost all of us on this forum. Now if your one of those younguns that have to have everything right now then look at the 650, its nice, will do the job, but how much do you want to spend and how much are you going to reload. let us buy your ammo.(if your FFL 06 or 07) Some people use these for professional loading and reloading but if your into real volume you can get a Camdex or Ammo Loader brand for about 25 grand starting out. Start your own company , cause those babies crank out the ammo.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I just picked up a 650 yesterday. Now to order the strongmount
    Good move. I found that my 650 likes a very stable bench (mine is fastened to the wall and weighted down). I also have my 650 mounted with a strong mount and reload standing up.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Start with a 550, just get one or two calibers for it and load. If you wish to step up to a 650 then sell the 550 and move on. You should be able to most of your money out of the 550 if you do wish to sell.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Good move. I found that my 650 likes a very stable bench (mine is fastened to the wall and weighted down). I also have my 650 mounted with a strong mount and reload standing up.
    I'm still needing to build a bench for my 650 since I moved. Do have the strong-mount.

Planning on running outlets in the garage, putting up insulation, and then installing plywood for the walls and painting it all white.

Once that's done I'll build the bench and tie it into the wall most likely. I should end up with enough junk in the shelves I'm going to build below it to weight it down ;).

Will be my first bench I've ever built so I'm researching the best ways to do it to build something that will be solid and sturdy.

Stryker1025

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Brownsburg
    MikeDVB. If your looking at benches for reloading you'll get lots of ideas from the reloading room pics on this site, I used theses a lot when deciding what bench to build.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    MikeDVB. If your looking at benches for reloading you'll get lots of ideas from the reloading room pics on this site, I used theses a lot when deciding what bench to build.
    Yeah - I used a pre-existing bench at my last house that ... eh ... worked but could have been a bit more ergonomic.

I plan on building it myself so, if I don't like it, I can simply build another differently without laying out too much cash.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

Mine too. I am going to need to expand my bench or get rid of one of my presses. I think I will move my single stage, since it's primary function is pulling old reloads that didn't make the cut until I make the extention. The move my turret over and use it for load developement and BPCR loads. and mount the Dillon in the best spot.

Stryker1025

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Brownsburg
    Cerberus and Be Mike, the bench plans you sent above are the same I used for my bench- very sturdy. If you use T-Tracks in you bench you can slide your press from one end to the other or remove it easily with bolt down. Leverage is not a problem, 3/8 T-Tracks are heavy duty and with a thick base plate I get no movement till I loosen the tighten bolts from the plate. Here is a pic of mine (keep in mind you can shorten the bench if you need to)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 26

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I have about 40,000 rounds thru my 550 with a case feeder, no problems. I shoot about 4000 rounds a year. I wouldn't use anything else. i sold my lee Pro 1000. go blue

Top Bottom