• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usp45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    +p there is no standard. it was designed for shorter barrels like 3.5 inch to ensure cycling and try and get the same velocity as a 5 inch.
    +P+ is sub gun ammo.

+P all manufacturers make it to their spec.

most modern pistols can take +P. none use +P+ as a previous poster had to have a signoff for wheel gun only.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Depends on your gun. Check the manual.
    Here's a whoops example:
    [www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhkHML6LZv4]

"I gots to have me 10% more pressure in my mouse gun!"

I've never understood that crowd. If standard pressure doesn't get the job done, 10% more isn't going to do it either.

Step up a caliber.

Yes there are a handful of guns that pretty much require +P. If your gun does not, you'd be smart to stay clear of it unless it's a full sized service firearm.

If you do this stupid stuff with a revolver, you'll end up stretching the frame to the point where the firing pin can't even contact the primer anymore... All this because someone is certain that 10% more pressure makes it a hand cannon.

+p there is no standard. it was designed for shorter barrels like 3.5 inch to ensure cycling and try and get the same velocity as a 5 inch.
    +P+ is sub gun ammo.

+P all manufacturers make it to their spec.

most modern pistols can take +P. none use +P+ as a previous poster had to have a signoff for wheel gun only.

Wrong.

There is no standard for +P+, there IS A STANDARD for +P.

+P is required for a couple specific handguns, like the kimber solo. It will not achieve the same velocity as standard pressure will with a 5" barrel, but it will generate much more wear and risk of damage to the firearm.

A wheel gun's frame WILL STRETCH the more you shoot it. +P ammo will insure this happens in 50-100 rounds instead of after 10,000 rounds. All for laughable velocity gains.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "I gots to have me 10% more pressure in my mouse gun!"

I've never understood that crowd. If standard pressure doesn't get the job done, 10% more isn't going to do it either.

Step up a caliber.

Yes there are a handful of guns that pretty much require +P. If your gun does not, you'd be smart to stay clear of it unless it's a full sized service firearm.

If you do this stupid stuff with a revolver, you'll end up stretching the frame to the point where the firing pin can't even contact the primer anymore... All this because someone is certain that 10% more pressure makes it a hand cannon.

Wrong.

There is no standard for +P+, there IS A STANDARD for +P.

+P is required for a couple specific handguns, like the kimber solo. It will not achieve the same velocity as standard pressure will with a 5" barrel, but it will generate much more wear and risk of damage to the firearm.

A wheel gun's frame WILL STRETCH the more you shoot it. +P ammo will insure this happens in 50-100 rounds instead of after 10,000 rounds. All for laughable velocity gains.

Can you please cite sources on "frame stretching" of revolver frames?

Top Bottom