• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Difference between +P and +P+ ammo

So I'm trying to understand the difference between the +P and P+ ammo. I'm sure it's pretty simple but right now i'm drawing a blank and i don't want to buy the wrong type of ammo.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just one plus in both cases? or +P and +P+

+P is above standard pressure, but there is a SAAMI standard for what it is. +P+ is higher pressure than +P and there isn't really a SAAMI standard for what that pressure is.

Your manual (or find one online) should say what is safe, but generally modern guns in good shape can take +P and very few manufacturers recommend +P+, but the difference would likely be gradually wearing out faster rather than a catastrophic failure....again, in a modern gun in good shape. In older guns and those with aluminum or some other non-steel frames (for revolvers) a higher pressure round could do immediate damage.

What do you have?

My advice, with a new gun start out with standard pressure. Heck, I don't even carry +P defensive ammo, just standard pressure Hornady.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    +P = P+

+P =/= +P+

Clear as mud?

Also, there are only a few handgun cartridges that have accepted +P ratings (.38 Auto, .38 Special, 9x19, and .45 ACP, and .45 Colt)

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    So I'm trying to understand the difference between the +P and P+ ammo. I'm sure it's pretty simple but right now i'm drawing a blank and i don't want to buy the wrong type of ammo.

Read and understand the owners manual that came with your gun. It will tell you if you can use +P ammo or not. Do not go by what you hear on the net. Read your manual. If one did not come with the weapon, download it from the manufacturers site.

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks for the help. My friend an I found some 9mm ammo online that was +P but the weight of the bullet was below 100 grains. He said it was in the 80s and it said +P ammo. We were both a little puzzled by it since neither of us had seen it before. I need to find a manual for mine just to be sure what kind of pressure my hand gun can take but i'm not so sure i would want to use +P+ anyway. I own a P226 in 9mm. I know it'll take a beating but like i said i never had anyone really explain +P and +P+ before.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    There are several guns where the older ones could handle +P but not the newer ones, how do you know which is which from a downloaded owners manual? Of course the reverse of that is also true.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I vaugly remember reading an article where it was talking about this in reference to pressure testing 5.56 and .223 in various chambers... If I recall correctly which I am probably not so take it with a grain of salt. +p is measurable and w/in some sort of spec, or at least predictable pressures w/in sammi sizes. +p+ is essentially the same pressure stuff, but not fully tested, or runs the potential of significantly exceeding sammi specs for pressure under some conditions.

Again, my memory is vague from this article but it was definatly making some references to the +p +p+ stuff which I found interested and wanted to follow up on but never did.

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Correction. The ammo we ran across was +P+ and he said was around 180gr. I don't know where he found it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Correction. The ammo we ran across was +P+ and he said was around 180gr. I don't know where he found it.

That makes it seem like it was probably .45 ACP or .45 Colt... 180 gr is VERY VERY heavy for 9mm.

But, 180gr is common weight for .40 S&W. But there are no official +p for .40 S&W, let alone any +P+.

-J-

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Could also be a 10 mm. The Underwoods I run in my are very +P!

Edit: From what I understand the military uses +P+ in their submachine guns.

Last edited:

ryancantshoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    The City
    As I understand it, in 9mm +p+ and +P might make sense if your barrel is less than 4 inches. If you have a larger handgun the annoyance of shooting +P is not thought to be worth the very minor real world velocity increase.

I have read on several forums that while my glock 19, for example, is capable of handling +p+ I should avoid messing w/ mere +p let alone +p+. There is very little benefit to larger barrel handguns, and it's harder to shoot accurately. FWIW, not an expert, just what I read from several respected, veteran posters on a variety of glock forums.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I carry Cor Bon 115 gr or 124/7 gr +p or Gold Dot +Ps in my Glock 19. Have shot sever hundred of each out of it with no ill effects. Cor Bon's were also my carry ammo when I carried my Beretta 92 FS. Hundreds have been shot from it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have found that not all +P, or +P+ ammo is made the same. My current 9mm carry load is a Rem 124gr +P, and velocity and energy is comparable to the higher end of the standard velocity offerings from other manufacturers. I have also shot Federal's 9BLPE (115gr +P+) load in a few different handguns, and while stout, nothing I would consider uncontrollable in anything but the smaller of handguns. Comparatively speaking as to recoil and muzzle blast, I had some Winchester Ranger +P+ ammo, and decided against using it in anything but a full sized pistol. It was noticeably more snappy, and after looking up specs, was quite a bit more potent than the average 9mm 115 gr load.

My current carry load in my 1911s is a Fed +P load, and while warm, doesnt make it difficult to handle. Im not so concerned with lack of power in the 45 as I was happy to have found a good deal on decent carry ammo, so I bought as much as I could afford at the time.

From what I have found, +P ammo (in chamberings that have an accepted standard for it) are only held UNDER a certain pressure level. Just because it says +P, does not necessarily mean that it is excessively warm compared to standard pressure ammo, but it is held under a standardized limit.
    +P+ ammo, on the other hand, is manufactured ABOVE the +P standards, usually at the request of a specific organization to meet their specific standards, in their specific handguns. If you choose to use +P+, I would advise that you do your research as to the safety of what you are shooting, and what you are shooting it in, and expect to accelerate the wear on your pistol.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    The "for what it's worth" department...

When I was with Cincinnati PD we used +P+ ammo in our wheelguns (Model 65) to pull the wool over our city council's eyes since they were too cowardly to approve .357 ammo. Federal would not sell it to us unless our administration signed an agreement to use it ONLY in .357 revolvers.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    IMO... for a defense round, +p is sufficient.... even standard will do the job. Shot placement is what counts. A 9mm going 600fps will put someone down with correct shot placement. I'd focus more on your accuracy than how high of a pressure your gun can shoot

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom