• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So I was driving through a couple towns today and stopped at the LGS's. both had a an sks for sale. Don't know brand ect of either but the first one had aftermarket furniture on it and the stock had a thumb hole grip. Guy said he would take 500 no tax for it. Also had a scope and detachable 30 round mag. The second store in a different store had one with wood furniture. Wanted 599 with 100 rounds of ammo. I'm thinking these guys are just gouging but just wanted opinions. I didn't think SKS's really got hit in this craze but maybe I'm wrong.

MML

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    NWI
    In NWI GM and Cabelas both have at least 10 AK's and SKS's ea along with a dozen or more AR's. LGS's also have a good selection of both not sure of the pricing though.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There's no such thing as "price gouging". They are charging what they want for it in a sellers market. Do I think the price is high? Yep. That's why I won't buy one at that price point. I'll wait till prices come down or do without. I don't need an SKS right now. Kicking myself for not buying one when they were going for around $100.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yep WAY to high. $300 is the max I'd pay for a regular sks and it would have to be all original in great shape with matching numbers.
    I'd pay more for a paratrooper but it has to be the same as above condition.

Screw all the aftermarket stock crap. That lowers the price for me

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah prices jumped up considerably. Just wait a bit they'll go back down. Aftermarket stocks do lower the value for most people.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    No more SKS's are coming into the U.S. The prices started going up on the SKS around 2007/8. Good luck finding an unissued one without shelling out 4 4 or 5 hundred dollar bills...easily. All those you see around sporterized were most likely ones that came into country with busted stocks. They were cheap in 2006/7. Could get one for $80 like that all dat long then. Whats left out there that has never been sold to an individual are drying up fairly fast. I picked up my Yugo Unissued SKS in a Oklahoma City gun show for $130 in 2006. A used SKS will get $200-300 all day long(depending on country of manufacture)...check what they are going for on gunbroker! The Norinco Chinese ones use to be real cheap...not even those are under $200 from what i have been seeing on completed sales.(in halfway decent condition).

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Yep WAY to high. $300 is the max I'd pay for a regular sks and it would have to be all original in great shape with matching numbers.

Couldn't agree with you more! Nothing better than a traditional SKS... my only exception is the Timbersmith Stocks. Those are NICE! :thumbsup:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Pre-Newtown, $300 was a good price for a quality SKS with up to $400 for rarer models. You could find them everywhere for $225-250 for rougher, but very usable models.

I'm not sure we'll ever get back to those levels.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Pre-Newtown, $300 was a good price for a quality SKS with up to $400 for rarer models. You could find them everywhere for $225-250 for rougher, but very usable models.

I'm not sure we'll ever get back to those levels.
    I could see them dropping down to the $300-$350 range again with $500 for the upper end. Right now people want $400-$500 for anything!

modeltman1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    No more SKS's are coming into the U.S. The prices started going up on the SKS around 2007/8. Good luck finding an unissued one without shelling out 4 4 or 5 hundred dollar bills...easily. All those you see around sporterized were most likely ones that came into country with busted stocks. They were cheap in 2006/7. Could get one for $80 like that all dat long then. Whats left out there that has never been sold to an individual are drying up fairly fast. I picked up my Yugo Unissued SKS in a Oklahoma City gun show for $130 in 2006. A used SKS will get $200-300 all day long(depending on country of manufacture)...check what they are going for on gunbroker! The Norinco Chinese ones use to be real cheap...not even those are under $200 from what i have been seeing on completed sales.(in halfway decent condition).

This is pretty much true,although there was some crates of chi-coms that was imported in and people were buying them 5-10 at a time for 350 to $400 and they looked like they were drugged behind a pickup with cracked stocks and no blueing. Alot of them were sent back.
    Seen one in a LGS not to long ago in rough condition-$500,told the counter guy I can buy a russian for that price-He said "Oh I will sell it,it might sit for a little bit but it will sell". Not too long ago mosins were selling for $70 to $90 around here,now $125 to $150

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana

Agreed. Makes sense.

GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    I was at one of the Elkhart gun shows this year looking at a Yugoslav SKS with a poly stock set listed for $925. I picked it up just to feel what it was like to hold a $900 SKS.

Just as I started to put it down while chuckling, a guy walked up next to me and asked if I was gonna buy that? I said nope, have at it. Much to my amazement, he bought it without the slightest attempt of negotiation! Awesome! :rolleyes:

ultrabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    morristown in
    I have one i bought way back $119 i did trick it out but nothing i cant put back to original no cutting as for price i am seeing some for around 350 but most are higher hope they will come down would like to have another but not at these prices

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    They are fantastic guns but not worth $500. Here's hoping things calm down a bit and the pricing comes back down to Earth. The LGS I frequent gets them in on occasion and they are usually priced between $400 and $450. They never last long. The people willing to pay that much are out there, hence the pricing, but I hope (I think we all do) that prices return to as close to "normal" as possible.

brownhornet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Mishawaka, IN
    They had a couple of Yugo's at Midwest the other week and they wanted $600 a piece for them. They looked pretty banged up to me, I wouldn't pay that price for them.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I recently flipped a Yugo still wrapped in the cosmoline. I picked it up for two hundred, unwrapped it, cleaned it, fired the living crap out of it, sold it for three. I saw the guy at the gun show with it for five! I wouldnt pay over three for one and it would have to be cherry with all the stuff to go with it including matching numbers.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Where are you guys finding sub $300 SKSs? Even back before the craze, you would be lucky to find one under $300. Our favorite gun shop, Bradis, charges more than that when they can get one. From what I've seen, it looks like a decent SKS is going for $350 to $450 now days. They seem to be selling at those prices too, not just sitting on a shelf with a dusty high price tag.

The last SKS I bought for less than $300 (got it for $289) was several years ago. That one was a paratrooper that looked like it was drug to the gun shop behind the seller's truck. The days of $225 SKSs are behind us I think.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Based on prices for SKS around where I live they have seem to be selling for about the same before the panic buying..however I did notice like everything else on armslist they went up for a time. One seller actually tried to pass his SKS off as an AK because it had a detachable 30 round magazine with a ATI folding stock.

Top Bottom