Did Indiana stop recognizing FL permits for residents?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I read on another forum that Indiana did not accept a Utah permit if the individual was an Indiana resident. Does that apply to Florida permit holders too? I have my Indiana permit, I'm just curious, as it seemed like Michigan was one of the few states that only recognized other state permits if you were a resident of that state.

Thank you!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    IN residents must have IN LTCH.

Indiana Code 35-47-2

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    If you are an IN resident you must have a IN LTCH, a out of state permit will not be valid for a IN resident to carry on.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Highlighting another important part. If your non-Indiana permit is a CONCEALED CARRY permit, you MAY NOT open carry in Indiana. The permits/licenses are honored at face value. Any specified or implied restrictions apply in Indiana. It does not mean the laws of the issuing state are applied, merely that any restrictions written on the card. Wow, I don't think I explained that well... oh well, hopefully it makes sense.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Highlighting another important part. If your non-Indiana permit is a CONCEALED CARRY permit, you MAY NOT open carry in Indiana. The permits/licenses are honored at face value. Any specified or implied restrictions apply in Indiana. It does not mean the laws of the issuing state are applied, merely that any restrictions written on the card. Wow, I don't think I explained that well... oh well, hopefully it makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. If you have a non-Indiana CCW, you gotta carry concealed. If you've got a permit from a state that allows OC, you can OC in Indiana. :yesway:

Top Bottom