Did I miss the physics? Or is the Star printing BS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Ran across this article today and was curious, I have always been under the impression that ammo burned in a fire would explode, but not go anywhere because they aren't breech loaded into a gun as a back stop. What gives?
    visitor.aspx

Firefighters dodge bullets at Indianapolis blaze

Associated Press 2:09 p.m. CST, December 6, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - Firefighters had to dodge bullets as a fire ignited ammunition left in an Indianapolis house.

The one-story ranch home on the city's east side was the scene of a shooting earlier Saturday. When firefighters responded about 11 p.m., ammunition inside the home ignited and fired rounds at the firefighters trying to extinguish the blaze.

Capt. Rita Reith says the ammunition probably was left behind after the shooting. She says it's common for ammunition inside a burning home to explode.

No firefighters were hurt. The home was a total loss.

Officials are investigating whether the fire was set.

In the earlier shooting, police say a man told officers he was walking near the home when he was shot in the back and leg.

LINK TO SOURCE
    Firefighters dodge bullets at Indianapolis blaze -- chicagotribune.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Explode yes, "fire at you" NO

Unless the round is contained inside of a close fitting container (chamber of a gun, etc.) with one hole for the projectile to exit, there can't be a pressure build up behind the bullet to "shoot" it with any velocity or accuracy. Reminds me of some of the old movies where someone running would throw a hand full of bullets in the camp fire and kill the bad guys that were chasing him!

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    There is enough pressure in the casing to make the lighter of the casing and bullet go flying. This is usually the casing, but can vary. MythBusters also did an episode where they put a bunch of different types of ammo in the oven and the results were that the casing did more damage than the bullet. But even a 50BMG wouldn't puncture the oven.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    as you all have posted this was my understanding to. So it make me wonder what in the world the Star was printing.... Oh well, just curious.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    as you all have posted this was my understanding to. So it make me wonder what in the world the Star was printing.... Oh well, just curious.

A sensational story that people would be interested in reading.

The more accurate headline of "Firefighters hear bullet casings flying around with little risk of projectile injury" doesn't hold interest. :dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Indy Star

Adam and Jamie are way late to the party to debunk the Indy Star's myths. The Star has been twisting "facts" and misreporting incidents for decades. Nearly everything we see, hear,and read in today's media has an editorial slant. "News" media is a misnomer!

DRob

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    For some reason, I'm feeling the need for another SKS shoot. :) I'm craving cosmoline and hot dogs.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    with fingers over upper lip moving them to simulate a mustach. "When i was riding the rails towards the end of the great depression. I learned several things from my hobo mentors. One was how to apply microscopic dichroic layers to glass using titanium distilled from white house paint....." That is classic.

but is make sense that the casing went farther, since the casing is lighter than the bullet

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    OOOH this is just great ,,more fuel for the gun haters. My son and i have been trying to open a gun shop in a little town and have been fighting 2 older gentelmen about this therory ,,and they still think modern ammo is black powder. Right now their waiting on the word from indianapolis for a fire code on gunshops.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    In the 10 years I worked in newspapers, I can honestly say that we never screwed up publishing the date in the Masthead on page 1. :rockwoot:

Got to be thankful for something! :cool:

Yup, I've seen that messed up before too. I'd have to say the only thing I've never seen messed up in a paper was the NAME of the paper. :dunno:

For some reason, I'm feeling the need for another SKS shoot. :) I'm craving cosmoline and hot dogs.

INGOSKSShoot026.jpg

We could always cut down another tree too! :D

INGOSKSShoot031.jpg

And see, we even saved a reptile! He may have been deaf, but... :dunno: :D

INGOSKSShoot032.jpg

But if you're gonna have another SKS shoot, let me know. I might not have an SKS anymore, but I'd LOVE to come.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    But if you're gonna have another SKS shoot, let me know. I might not have an SKS anymore, but I'd LOVE to come.

I have an extra SKS, just not much ammo. :D Well, if we can find a 70° day in December, and a willing host, I'll definitely be there. Actually, I don't really need 70°... that was just the icing on the cake last year.

BTW, sorry for the thread jack. Carry on.

Top Bottom