• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    An alternative would have been to shoot him dead then stand on top of the body like Captain Morgan while laughing maniacally.

But your way worked so you are good to go.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    It's important for anyone who carries to have a mental "line in the sand" that determines at which point they are willing to draw or shoot. However, when pressed into the situation, it is okay to realize that your line wasn't drawn in the right place. You were still there, still willing to intervene, you just realized that second hand info and him simply acting aggressively wasn't gounds for you personally to draw, and that's ok.

Just because you legally could have intervened, doesn't mean you have to. Had he suddenly pulled out a knife or started biting people or something crazy, you were still there and willing to intervene. I wouldn't beat yourself up because you chose to play cautiously!

Greeper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Thank you all for the comments. The more time passes, the more I feel okay with my decision and hesitation. I don't believe I would have hesitated if he lunged toward me, but in this situation, even if he'd gotten one good hit in, I still could have intervened enough to save the kid from a bad beating.

Again, thanks for the support and the reinforcement.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thank you all for the comments. The more time passes, the more I feel okay with my decision and hesitation. I don't believe I would have hesitated if he lunged toward me, but in this situation, even if he'd gotten one good hit in, I still could have intervened enough to save the kid from a bad beating.

Again, thanks for the support and the reinforcement.

IF YOU think YOU did the right thing, and YOU can live with it, you did well .....

I believe you did well .....

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep, the opinion is unanimous: You acted, not over or under.
    More importantly, you did more than anyone else other than the brave kid, saving him from the punk in question.:thumbsup:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Greeper, I believe you handled it just right. Your presence acted as a breaking force.

Several years ago in Chicago I had a situation where some young ladies were rudely accosted bu three big dopey looking guys. I stepped in between and stared down the leader, all were bigger than me. The situation was diffused and the ladies left the scene with no more problem. Later reflection (second guessing) made me realize that they could have beaten me easily.

Had you acted more forcefully in that situation you cluld have put your life in danger. Not just yours but your family also, not just physically but financially. Time = money / time = life / money = life.

And just try finding a holster for an M79.

That would be absolutely AWESOME!

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    I don't want to attempt to analyze what you did, but you are not a coward! If it were not for your actions, things could have been worse. In my opinion, there are a lot of cowards who carry guns and shoot people because they are fearful of dealing with conflicts with their fists. All I can say is thanks for getting involved.

Bingo.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    Another thing to consider is did big dude have any friends you weren't aware of walking into the situation late in the altercation. You could have drawn your weapon and not realized bystander was actually BG's friend with a gun. Too many variables to consider here. Like others have said, the domestic side of this is a red flag because you'll be fighting 2 people in the end. I know from my LEO friends I have here in Henry County that even though BG just pummeled his wife/GF almost to death, she'll be there to post his bond as soon as she can.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...At one point, the larger guy lunged toward the kid and was about to do him harm. I grabbed the grip of my gun and was about to verbally get him on the ground (I'm a bigger guy with a loud voice), but at the last moment, my nerve failed me. I thought what if he turns on me? I instantly saw myself on the evening news as a white guy who shot a black man while defending another white kid. ...

This is the biggest tragedy of the whole story.

Greeper, we carry for one reason, and that is self-defense, which we may choose to extend as our protection of those in need around us. I've been told since I started carrying that the purpose of the gun is to stop the threat. If that means you have to kill, that's what it means. If it means you just have to draw, then that's enough. In your case, stopping the threat amounted to your presence and your hand on the grip of your Shield.

That you had to take time to consider how you would be portrayed by the #$%^$%$ media is an absolute travesty, because I can guarantee you that if the assailant had turned on you, he had no fears whatsoever of how they'd portray him. Personal opinion: That :poop: needs to be stopped. IN law permits the use of deadly force in the defense of another, if necessary, to protect against the commission of a forcible felony, and battery certainly would qualify. (ETA: Battery, alone, is a misdemeanor. Battery with intent to commit serious bodily injury, however, is a felony. Domestic violence might qualify as well, not as a felony, but as justification/defense.)

Bottom line: You did what you had to. No more, no less. Good job, and rep inbound.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    Good job to you man! You are not a coward! You did the right thing and you were just looking out for those people in need of help.

Anyone know if it would have been proper/legal in this situation to draw down on the aggressor and give command orders for him to stop?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think you did the right thing. Your physical presence may have been just the right amount of deterrent to keep things in check. I am assuming he was unarmed, which may have worked against you had you drawn down on him. Restraint is a good thing. I would think that lack of restraint is by far the more serious issue for someone who makes the decision to carry.

Top Bottom