• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greeper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Last night I was at the local grocery with my wife. Sketchy neighborhood and a late Friday night so she asked me to go with her (CCing my Shield) while we grabbed some date-night snacks. While in the self-checkout, something happened and I struggle whether I made the right call or not.

Some folks came in and I could hear that they said something about calling the cops and that "she keeps yelling Help, Help". I didn't know if it was a medical emergency or what, so I told my wife to sit tight and I went to 'help'... As I'm walking out, I heard a lady say something about "he's beating her". By the time I got outside a larger man was walking aggressively to a smaller guy who was backing away from him. The conversations made it clear that the bigger dude was beating up on his "woman" and the kid (maybe 19 years old) stood up for her and told him to knock it off. This made the bigger guy turn his aggression on the kid. I could hear the guy telling the kid to mind his own business and he's going to pound him, while the kid is backing up - trying to stay out of range - and telling him to stop "beating his woman" and that's all he cared about.

Unarmed security was there, but not doing much of anything other than telling an employee to call the cops. At one point, the larger guy lunged toward the kid and was about to do him harm. I grabbed the grip of my gun and was about to verbally get him on the ground (I'm a bigger guy with a loud voice), but at the last moment, my nerve failed me. I thought what if he turns on me? I instantly saw myself on the evening news as a white guy who shot a black man while defending another white kid.

During my hesitation, the kid barely evaded the guy and ran around a watermelon display. I moved to be interference so the guy would have to get past me to get to the kid, all while staying silent, and not saying anything. Eventually he was sent on his way, with his woman cussing him out, before the police arrived. At this point my wife was coming out and saw the last minute or so, panicked, and ushered me away from the scene and I went home.

I realize that the story ends on a positive note since everybody went home safe last night, except maybe the woman, but I can't help the feeling that if the guy would have gotten a hold of the kid, when I hesitated, the scene could have been a lot more chaotic, and drawing my weapon at that point could have ended up worse. I feel like a coward that didn't do the right thing when I was put to the test.

So my question is: did I do it wrong, what would you have done differently?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sometime's when as you say you moved to interfere the person doing harm will see he is being observed by thers and they will not just take a beating like a woman.

Sometimes they are whacked and will bring the fight to you.

You did right by keeping it holstered but at the ready.

Domestic idiocy is a wicked snake to jump into. If she left with him it is her choice to stay.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Disparity of force issue.

Oh, and better edit and remove the fact that the kid ran behind a watermelon display before some yabo shows up to start tossing 'racist' cards. :facepalm:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    It's always easy to second guess yourself. You, and your wife are safe, and the trouble stopped (at that location) I feel for the lady in that who knows what she's going through, or would go through. The best scenario would have been cops on the scene to stop it, but the fact that you showed up means something, maybe the BG saw your hand on the grip, and had second thoughts...who knows. Nobody got shot, and you didn't go to jail, or get detained for endless hours for shooting someone. Sleep well you stepped up, and walked away!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't want to attempt to analyze what you did, but you are not a coward! If it were not for your actions, things could have been worse. In my opinion, there are a lot of cowards who carry guns and shoot people because they are fearful of dealing with conflicts with their fists. All I can say is thanks for getting involved.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well everything worked out for the good of you guys. I hope the woman seeks help and leaves a bad relationship.
    im not gonna judge you. Obviously what you did kept the kid safe. Kid had balls too

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I use to jump into those situations when I was younger until the lady I went to protect (guy was beating her with closed fists) started whacking me in the head with her shoe for beating on her boyfriend. Since then I just observe from a safe distance and report what I saw.

Most these "victims" don't press charges, don't get restraining orders and stay with these guys till they die.
    "He's only like that when he's drinking" - "He has a stressful job" - "He's really a good man, you don't know him like I do" :blahblah:

Match made in heaven.......

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    you hesitating could have saved lives so dont worry about it. just be happy you have a filter i just let things out if i think im doing right and it has made thing worse before.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Coward!! No way!

You did good. The gun is ALWAYS the last resort after all other options have failed.

Nothing else, it's a great learning experience for you to think through.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I see nothing wrong with what you did, or didn't, do. As a non-police citizen you have to decide just how far you are willing to involve yourself in a situation that doesn't directly involve you.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    What are you doing in a sketchy neighborhood (at least for you) late at night? Unless it is a have to situation make better choices in the future. You and your wife are at risk by being somewhere you don't have be and that is needless. Just because you can is by no means that you should.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I think you did a great job! Since your not a cop you did a great job interfering. Sometimes that's all that's needed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Interfere in a domestic? They are already in love again before you got done reading this.

By the way, welcome to decisions cops make constantly. Too little force now may mean more force is needed later, but to much force now is not a valid option.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    What are you doing in a sketchy neighborhood (at least for you) late at night? Unless it is a have to situation make better choices in the future. You and your wife are at risk by being somewhere you don't have be and that is needless. Just because you can is by no means that you should.

I think what you're saying has merit, but only to a point - one that I think each individual has to decide for themselves. Each person has to decide what level of risk they are willing to tolerate in life. I would not fault someone for ending up in a "situation" because he decided to go shopping at a public place (grocery store) regardless of the neighborhood. The grocery store needs business, I wouldn't want to punish the business owner by avoiding him just because he's trying to make a life in a so-called sketchy neighborhood. There are places probably you and I would not be at night, that someone else might feel relatively safe. Freedom and stuff :)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I tried to carry pepper spray but it wouldn't fit in the chamber. :rolleyes:

And just try finding a holster for an M79.

On a serious note, OP : that sounded like a situation to be avoided. Like BBI said, they are back in love and she was beating him this morning. Domestic situations are why I don't envy LEOs. The driving fast with lights and sirens makes me envious, but domestics? No frapping way.

Droogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2015
    Zionsville
    I think you did a great job! Since your not a cop you did a great job interfering. Sometimes that's all that's needed.
    +1

Shooting someone, even if it's justified, changes your life forever. You have a bigger obligation to your family than to a stranger. You did enough for this stranger to be proud, without risking too much for your family.

Monday morning quarterback says you did it just right.

Top Bottom